Search within a search

dbonneville

If I do a verse search, say "eph", I get all of eph. Now, I want to see the word "Gentile" in red. How do I do that?

I found the range command, and had to manually add "Ephesians" to the range dropdown list. But it must not be this hard to do such a simple search and have to save the range.

I know there is a command for the search bar, but searching on "range" in Help only seemed to bring up the Range dialogue I mentioned above.

Therefore, the real question is:

While in "word" search mode, can I type a word and add a range in brackets? What is the format?

And one follow up question:

Where is a cheat sheet of commands I can use to append to word searches?

I'm still pretty new at Accordance and love it. If only I could search better!

Thanks,

Doug

Doug, my friend, you are in need of the training DVD! But here is the answer to your question.

Search for words with this syntax: Gentiles <AND> <RANGE Eph>

That will give you all the instances of Gentiles in your search text in the book of Ephesians.

To find a list of all possible commands, search for words, click the Search menu bar item, and then look under Commands. It will list them all for you. This page is where you want to go for help documentation. Especially note the first item in the list: Accordance Quick Reference Guide.

Blessings!

Thanks for the reply! I wrote the original message after trying this exact search, exactly as you subsequently showed me:

Gentiles <AND> <RANGE Eph>

But here is what I get:

"This entry or window cannot be found"

I am on "word" search, with an NRSV open. What am I still missing?

post-463-1185943997_thumb.png

Ok. I'm a programmer and made a bad assumption.

In most languages, there is usually only one convention for naming variables or declaring functions. In this case, I knew that <> was used to surround modifiers. I assumed that functions used the same <>. They do not. The functions use [].

So, the correct format is:

Gentiles <AND> [RANGE Eph]

...not

Gentiles <AND> <RANGE Eph>

Now it all makes sense and I'm a power user and creating the crazy searches I wanted to create :)

Thanks,

Doug

Doug, you're right. I apologize for the type-o. I even "verified" my search string before posting, but in doing so I used the keyboard shortcuts command-a for <AND> and command-r for [Range ?] and failed to notice the brackets on the range command.

Another way to break down these search commands is all the commands above the divider line in the search menu take <>, and all the commands below the divider line take []. Since I rarely type in these kinds of strings, but usually use keyboard shortcuts or the search menu, I never noticed that before.

Glad you figured out how to do what you need to do, and again, I apologize for the confusion from my erroneous search syntax!

Accordance uses for commands that define the relationship between two search expressions, such as or . It uses [] for standalone commands which do not require additional expressions such as [HITS] or [RANGE].

Robb: Your sample code was exactly what I was trying before I posted, so the fault is mine! But I'm glad I got this straightened out.

Doug

Archived