Interlinear and/or cross-highlighting problems

theblackbluejay

So I decided to create a custom interlinear for front-line text critical comparisons of the Versions...  I started with the BHT, and added the MT-LXX interlinear, the DSS, and the SP.  To test it, I went to a text for which I knew what the results should be, and discovered some discrepancies.  

At Gen 2:2, the MT reads  ויכל אלהים ביום השביעי  But the LXX, the Peshitta, and the SP all read הששי.   Yet the interlinear that I created has the SP reading השביעי along with the MT.  

To ensure that I was not losing my mind, I added the BHS apparatus and the SP in parallel, and they confirmed what I was noticing—that the interlinear is rendering the reading of the SP incorrectly.  Also, I noticed that ששי in the (parallel) SP was not cross-highlighting, yet the definite article does.  (Please see images attached). 

I don't know if these two problems are related.  Is it possible that I just missed something?  Or is this a bug?

Thanks!

David

post-32209-0-64333700-1449635075_thumb.png

post-32209-0-41053100-1449635092_thumb.png

David, this is an interesting case.  If you use the HMT-W4 (Hebrew bible, without sigla) as your base text, it properly identifies the difference in the Samaritan.  We'll investigate why this isn't working with the BHS-T.  Thanks for the report!

• Like 1

Hi Joel, 

I switched to the HMT-W4, and the SP was displayed correctly in the interlinear.  But the cross-highlighting of ששי is still not working.  

Any idea why the BHS-T was not displaying correctly? 

Thanks,

David

post-32209-0-48356000-1449680281_thumb.png

Edited by David Harris

Cross-highlighting is unfortunately only done on a lemma by lemma basis, so in this case, because the lemma is different, it won't be able to find it!  The interlinear uses some more advanced methods to line up the texts, but were thrown off by the added sigla mark in the BHS-T.  This has now been fixed for the next rev, but I wouldn't anticipate a cross-highlight improvement anytime soon.

I found the cross-highlighting problem to be strange because the definite article highlights (see my first two screenshots above), while the adjective does not.  The ששי  in the parallel SP is actually the only lemma on that entire screen that doesn't highlight.  That shouldn't be, should it? 

Or am I misunderstanding something?

The cross highlighting matches lemma to lemma in order, but in the case of ששי, it is an entirely different lemma (שביעי vs ששי), so cross highlighting can't find it.  In the case of the definite article, the lemmas match, so it is able to show you the relation.

By the way, you can always turn on the Compare Texts checkbox to see the differences in the texts, choosing different options for comparison.