Difference in Accordance for Windows or Mac?

bpkantor

Hi all,

Does anyone have a good deal of experience operating Accordance in both Windows and Mac? Is there any significant difference between the two (speed, content, functionality, etc.)?

Ben

Hi Ben,

I use Accordance on Mac (El Cap) and Windows (7) on a pretty much daily basis. I am using Acc 11.1.

They are as far as I can tell functionally equivalent. Early windows releases brought some features out later but I think we are at parity now. You can double check the docs as differences were noted and if any remain they no doubt would be, but for what I do there isn't any difference.

The bugs of course do differ because there is platform specific code and common code.

As to speed no I've not really noticed a huge difference of late. There used to be a very long lag in opening the preferences pages in Windows. That's fixed. The queries run basically the same way. I haven't really benchmarked queries on the two platforms though, but just using it I don't notice any discrepancy to speak of.

The content available for the platforms is to my knowledge the same. I certainly have all the modules on Win that I have on Mac.

You will hear about different stability issues - but I do not know for a fact that either Mac or Windows is more prone to application crashes at present - if I had to give the edge to one platform I might say Mac, but there isn't much, if anything, in it I wouldn't say. They happen on both platforms from time to time. People report the bugs and they get fixed. On this point it is worth mentioning that the two platforms are released together. It's not like Mac gets 11.1 and 2 months go by before Windows 11.1 comes out. They come out together.

So to answer your question more simply, no I don't believe there is any significant difference at this point.

Others may have different experiences of course depending upon versions and what feature set they use.

Thx

D

I mostly use Accordance in Mac, but have used it in Windows.

Functionaly they are the same. The biggest difference that gets me is that the close button is on different sides (per each platform's norm).

the close button is on different sides (per each platform's norm).

Insanity !!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The only "major" feature I don't think is in the Windows version is local syncing with iOS devices. You can still sync iOS devices through Dropbox and install modules using Easy Install, but Computer-iOS syncing is Mac only for now I believe. Only time I really use the feature is when getting a new iOS device to speed up copying over my books. It could be easily done through Easy Install+Dropbox for Windows users.