Can I prune .Sparkle folder?

mattearwicker

I have a relatively old Mac Mini with limited disk space which is nearly full. When I checked what was using the space I found that a folder called .Sparkle in my ~/Library/Application Support/Accordance folder is using over 6GB of space (it's using nearly 10GB on my other mac). This is made up of a number of 200MB folders with names related to the version numbers (11.0.1, 11.1.2) often with multiple folders per version number (11.0.7 1, 11.0.7 2, etc.).

I know Sparkle has something to do with updating/version control.  Is one of these files created at each upgrade, and can some of the older ones therefore be deleted, and if so, which? Or are they all necessary?  Could I reduce the disk usage by deleting Accordance completely and reinstalling the latest version cleanly?

Thanks

Matt

You should be able to safely remove the entire .Sparkle folder.

We had a wonderful cat named Sparkle that passed earlier this year and I miss her dearly.  She was all black with Siamese features and talked to me all of the time, as well as making sure that the bald spot on the back of my head was clean.  She was the best behaved cat that I have ever had the pleasure to be around.

:)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So I just deleted all but the most recent folder in the .Sparkle folder. It saved me 17.5GB of space. If this folder isn't necessary, could we make it self-deleting or give an option in the setting of whether to keep these files or not? That would be really nice. Thanks.

• Like 1

FYI. After deleting all but the most recent folder in the .sparkle folder and rebooting. Accordance was missing in my dock. It was not missing in my applications folder, but I downloaded the most recent version and everything seems to be working well so far.