Bibleworks-like translation display

Joel Arnold

When I chose Accordance over Bibleworks 10 years ago, the clarity and simplicity of the user interface was a major factor. I haven't looked back sense.

But there is one thing I've found myself wishing for. Bibleworks had the really cool ability to toss up all of your translations on one page. It's super nice for quick comparison.

Anyone found a way to quickly and easily do that? I suppose I could create a workspace with each translation in its window and save it. Any other ideas?

post-30109-0-87909200-1450322903_thumb.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lx4vophx4jd3cg6/bw-version-favorites.png?dl=0

• Like 2

Just right-click a verse reference and do Research -> [All Texts].

• Like 6

I like this! Thanks for asking Arnold, and thank you Joel for the quick response and great solution. I am day 2 with Accordance, and this display verse in all texts is something I will often.

• Like 2

Oh seriously that is awesome. I've wanted something like this for a long time. Why didn't I ask sooner!!!???

Thanks much!

(1) I just tried it, and it seems really slow. Am I missing something, or does it seem slow to others, too? I immediately detached the pane, so maybe that had something to do with it.

(2) It also does not seem to include user Bibles. Is that intended? Configurable?

Thank you.

Eric, if you have a slow hard drive and many, many, texts, it may take a few seconds, depending on the speed of your drive.  However, my guess is you aren't interested in the result from every single text in your Library, but just a set of English ones.  You can create a User Group in the Library to select just the texts you want to see in translation, and it should go much faster.  Simply select the new group instead of '[All Texts]'.

User Bibles should definitely be included, as they are completely identical to normal texts once installed.  This won't search User Notes, though.  You should also be able to add User Bibles to the User Group if you go that route.

Eric, if you have a slow hard drive and many, many, texts, it may take a few seconds, depending on the speed of your drive.  However, my guess is you aren't interested in the result from every single text in your Library, but just a set of English ones.  You can create a User Group in the Library to select just the texts you want to see in translation, and it should go much faster.  Simply select the new group instead of '[All Texts]'.

User Bibles should definitely be included, as they are completely identical to normal texts once installed.  This won't search User Notes, though.  You should also be able to add User Bibles to the User Group if you go that route.

Thanks, Joel. I've got an SSD and speed is usually not an issue. I'll check it out more. Definitely a User Group with just those I want to compare is the way to go.

A further question: can we navigate the verses?

(BW does it nicely with the up and down arrow keys.)

Command up and down arrow should work.

Looks like this is navigating between different versions (i.e., NA28 → NET) rather than different verses (i.e., Matt 1:1 → Matt 1:2).

Right - currently there's no way to directly navigate between different verses within a text, though you can always just move the blink point around with the arrows, and that will scroll for you.

Right - currently there's no way to directly navigate between different verses within a text, though you can always just move the blink point around with the arrows, and that will scroll for you.

Sorry, I don't quite get it. Do you mean there are arrows in the (All texts) search result window? I don't see any arrow in this window. 

The result of search for a certain verse within 'All texts' is quite close to what the BW does, if we can do something based on some kind of this search result.

1. Create a sub-group (different group for different purpose) of texts that we want to search in (thus to display the result) beside "All Texts".

2. squash the search result line space so that we can fit in as may versions of a certain verse within one page.

3. use Option+Arrows to navigate between verses (I noticed that this combination has not been used in this search result).

4. Add parallel pane so that we can display verse-based information such as translation notes, textual critical notes, user notes, etc.

Of course, if every Option+Arrow triggers a new search, it will slow down a lot. Therefore, I use "kind of this search result." All I want is that Accordance is able to display a certain verse (or certain verses) of multiple versions in parallel in one pane. (basically point 1 above). (I don't know program much. Therefore I don't know how difficult it can be.)

Then point 3 and 4 would not be difficult to accomplish at all.

I think I know the answer here because I looked pretty thoroughly. There isn't a way to tighten up the spacing is there? This would be Martin's question #2 above. Not a huge deal and just wanting to confirm that I didn't miss something. Thanks Joel!

Hi,

Since you seem to know about bother I thought I would ask. I am considering purchasing Accordance 11 or Bibleworks 10.  My needs are really original language and not so much of the extra works found in accordance - it is for my academic studies and article.  Given that, is it worth the extra money or should I just go with Bibleworks?

Hi Harry,

I think Dr. Holmstedt summed it up best at http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/14383-poll-does-ancient-near-eastern-content-matter/?hl=%2Bancient+%2Bnear+%2Beast :

“There are myriad secondary sources, many of which become dated and less usable within 10-15 years. Accordance's original focus has been on original language corpora related to biblical studies and, in my opinion, this is sets them apart and should continue to be their focus.

For instance, while I am slowly expanding the NWS module (especially the Phoenician texts and revising the Hebrew), the Ugaritic database is not morphological tagged. Granted, with languages like Ugaritic or the other NWS epigraphic texts, there is less clarity on the morphological tagging than the Hebrew Masoretic tradition provides, a good scholarly educated guess at the morphology would be useful to students and scholars alike. Translations reflect the same "guess" but don't provide the explicit language analysis that a morph (and syntax) tagged text provides serious students.

So, if we are going to encourage Accordance to expand, let's do it in the direction of its existing strengths —ancient textual corpora that are morphologically tagged, not modern scholarship.”

Then, my response,

“I agree with Dr. Holmstedt, that the focus should be on morphologically (and syntactically) tagged texts. That is where I think Acc should start with the Ugaritic material. But then, a lexicon would definitely be useful for students, and to most scholars. I also agree regarding translations. But if a few grammars were included, they contain translations and often language analysis for them. It is also useful to compare analyses of the same passage in different grammars. The best grammars would also be updated in new editions.”

And, Dr. Holmstedt again,

“ . . . analyzed texts, lexica, and select reference grammars (not teaching grammars) go hand-in-hand in serious work; I simply overlooked the latter in my earlier comment.”

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1

But there is one thing I've found myself wishing for. Bibleworks had the really cool ability to toss up all of your translations on one page. It's super nice for quick comparison.

I'd like to add my support for this feature being available in Accordance.  I find myself missing the analysis pane found in Bibleworks and how it functions.  

Right-click verse reference and research all texts in Accordance gives the wanted visual appearance – but unfortunately with no way to navigate verse by verse.

Hopefully they will give consideration to this feature.

Edited by accord

• 1 year later...

Joel,

I just tried doing this to mimic BibleWorks multi translation display, but I keep getting the entire Bible displayed for each translation in my User Group. How can get this process to only display the verse I am Researching for each translation?

post-317-0-73010400-1486064053_thumb.png

Edited by William Cross

post-32723-0-54174800-1486064966_thumb.png

Mmh but if I have it on the Research on "Modern" and go in the drop down menu to "Verse" then I get the same result like my pic. 

I don't know how you have get your result.

Edited by Fabian

Thats very odd, William.  Mine is working properly:

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 1.55.46 PM.png

What is interesting, looking at your post, is how the ESVS on the left looks.  Notice the second paragraph only says '3' instead of 'Genesis 1:3'?  I can't get my ESVS to render like this on my machine.  I wonder, is everything up to date, both the ESVS and Accordance?

Yes, everything is completely up to date Acc 12.0.3 and ESVS 5.4. My Text Display preferences are set to "Paragraphs with Space" and "Omit Book and Chapter".

post-317-0-33779100-1486066015_thumb.png

Edited by William Cross

Found the setting!  Preferences -> Search tabs -> Context.  You have this set to 'All'.  In reality, this setting probably shouldn't affect Research results, so we'll fix that for 12.0.4.  In the meantime, try setting it back to 0.

I think I found a better way that is much more like what BibleWorks offers. I just created a new tab with horizontal panes with most of the translations I desire to compare. Then open another tab with the main translation I use and Tie the Tabs together.

post-317-0-64095600-1486074637_thumb.png

Edited by William Cross
  • Like 8

I've seen (and created) a lot of Workspaces in my day, but nothing like this--looks great!

• Like 2