Accordance or Logos or Bibleworks

harryharvard

Who here has used all of the above and can convince me to purchase Accordance?  Bibleworks seems to offer all of the features with more basic texts than Accordance but most of my professors seem to use Accordance.  

What are things to consider?

Hi harry,

Download it and spend time with it. (I see you are a windows user but The ios version comes with a brilliant set of resources once you register and both bible works app and logos ios app were deleted within a few minutes of download).

There is also a long thread on logos and accordance if you search this forum.

just seen you other thread about bible works interface. The original languages package is really good but Spend time in the various forums and see what users are saying and how much the developers contribute. Also compare relative costs of getting what you want. Also check out some of dr js and ricks videos on how to use it and the recorded original language webinars where you can see it in use real time.

I bought into accordance and this forum has pushed me into areas i wouldnt have considered if i had stuck with what i had previously and while i originally bought an original languages package, i have added lots of other useful volumes. having used accordance for 5 years, the software has enriched me both in personal study and in my ministry.

Edited by ukfraser

Morning Harry!

I have been an Accordance user for the past 7 years. Before that I used BibleWorks 5. I have not used Logos at all.

For me the biggest difference is ease of use. I was never able to become totally comfortable with searching in BibleWorks and it was always difficult for me to find things (granted that was a long time ago, I would imagine things are easier now). In Accordance, there are so many ways to search that I find I don't normally give it a second thought. The flex search feature has been a boon (my memory is not all that good).

The other big selling point for Accordance is the customer service. In my previous job, I was a trainer and taught people to give excellent customer service so I have become a customer service freak. Every experience I have had with the Accordance staff has been superb. I have even been blessed with Helen's help a time or two (she is the only VP that I know of that deals with customers on a regular basis).

If you jump on the Accordance platform I am certain you will not regret it.

• Like 1

Who here has used all of the above and can convince me to purchase Accordance?  Bibleworks seems to offer all of the features with more basic texts than Accordance but most of my professors seem to use Accordance.  

What are things to consider?

I own license for Accordance 11, BibleWorks 10, and Logos 6. I have been using Accordance since 2012, I used BibleWorks since version 4, and I used Logos since Libronix. 

Before, I say anything else it would be helpful to know what your focus and goals are.

For, example are you interested in:

(a) Koine Greek, the NT, LXX,  Patristics

b. Classical; Hebrew and Hebrew Bible

c) Textual critisim

(d) The Masorah

(e) 2nd temple Judaism and/or early Rabbinical text in Hebrew (or translation)?

(g) Latin?

(h) Theological Journals / Academic journals

(i)  Commentaries

(j) Two or more of the above?

(k) None of the above? Other...

Edited by bkMitchell

My opinion is that if you end up being a serious / regular user of Bible software to study the original languages, you may well end up using all three programs, since each one has its own strengths and weaknesses. (I use all three you mentioned as well as SwordSearcher, which I love for its simplicity and ease of use [it does not focus on original languages].) I started with Logos and added Accordance and BibleWorks later.

Since many of your professors use Accordance, it's probably the place to start. That probably means that in your place of study there will be others who can help you get used to the software and show you what it really can do. I've only skimmed the surface of what Accordance can do.

I think that since you are a new user, you cannot go wrong buying one of the collections that are now 35% off (http://www.accordancebible.com/Giving-Gifts-That-Last). I don't know if you're allowed to buy at that discount for yourself, since it seems targeted at those gifting it to others, but I think you should be able to, since you are a new user, which seems to be the only qualification.

I would recommend the Essential Collection ($324) or the Advanced ($649). At 35% off, I doubt you could go wrong on either one of them, and if you are going to need to use these resources in increasing depth of study, no doubt the Advanced one is the way to go. I have the Essential Collection + many things I've added on, but I wish I had bought Advanced.

The discounts end December 25th, 2015. 

(This sounds like a real advertisement for Accordance, and I guess it is, but I have no financial interest in which one you end up buying.)

Edited by EricC

I use both Verbum (Logos) and Accordance. Both are good. Each has strengths and weaknesses. Accordance by some is considered less user friendly. This is not something I personally have found but something I have heard others say. One thing I especially love about Accordance is it's stability ( I have again heard of people having crashing issues with it but it's not something I am experiencing). In the past I have had horrible experiences where a supposed stable release of Verbum has been too unstable to use and unfortunately it will not let you revert to the previous version. Now in fairness when these incidents have happened they rush to get a usable release. This is just my 2 cents in things to consider.

Just to echo Dan, I use both Logos and Accordance. I would love to use just one, but neither has all that I am looking for. I would love to see Accordance have more options in copying as a citation both with Bibles and other texts.

I also use both Accordance and Logos. Overall Accordance is cheaper and I think you get more for your money. Accordance is also faster and I prefer to use it when reading/studying the original languages. However there are many titles that Logos has that Accordance does not, and another reason I use Logos is for the Andriod app which Accordance does not have yet.

I'm off filling in the gaps of my knowledge of Biblical Hebrew and I'm finding both Accordance and BibleWorks to be formidable tools.  Both of these programs are better than the products from Brand L.  If your main focus is original languages, then both Accordance and BibleWorks are very good if you consider the return for investment factor. If you feel the need to have commentaries, then Accordance would be your first choice. If having resources in Windows HTML-Help format does not appeal to you, then Accordance would again be your first choice.  If you were interested in doing your own tagging, then BibleWorks would be the place to go.  Both programs are programmed very well and are quite speedy.  You would be able to buy both the Accordance Original Languages package and BibleWorks for not too much more than a flimsy low level Brand L package would set you back. Then you'd be armed and dangerous and the good guys would have both made a sale.

• Like 1

I use Accordance and Logos. I haven't tried BibleWorks yet. I like some of the features in BW, but it seems Accordance is offering most of the modules I'd use in BW. 

I use both Accordance and Logos because each has different resources/modules I need for different purposes, and I consider both tools in my Bible study toolbox.

In terms of seminary, my seminary "runs" on Logos with many of my professors, but my Biblical Language professors solely use Accordance. So I've been heavily using Accordance especially for Biblical language studies.