Make verse lists from lexicon paste-able into search box

Susan

I love the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew in part because it provides a comprehensive list of verse references with the word of interest in various relationships with other words (e.g. all instances of a particular verb with subject YHWH, etc.)  Admittedly, some of these are possible to reconstruct using the syntax module, but DCH has the advantage of listing, for instance, the "sense" subject of non-finite verbs as well as those which are either implicit or expressed with pronouns, none of which is possible in the syntax database as far as I know. It's possible to copy and paste these lists, but they paste into the search box like this:

Gn 4729 491 Ex 118 711 84.21.27 1016.24 1221.31 Lv 11 91 104 Nm 2410 Dt 51 Jos 66 2 S 115 1 K 207 2 K 611 Is 414 426 4611 Jb 1916 Lm 222 Est 45 1 C 1511

which is a format that Accordance doesn't like (understandably). If I add all of the appropriate commas and colons, it works, but this is a pain.

I would like to be able to copy and paste those references directly into a search bar in order to look through them in context. (I do realize that I can mouseover them and see each verse in instant details. However, this is more difficult to glance through than a list, and it would be nice to be able to see them with English parallel.) Although DCH is the resource where this would be most useful to me, any lexicon (and sometimes commentaries, etc.) has lists of verses in this same format. It seems like this shouldn't be too hard (but what do I know?!) since Accordance already has all of these verse references tagged.

As usual, if there's a way to do this that I'm missing, please let me know.

Thanks!
Edited by Susan
  • Like 1

Click in the first reference and drag to the last (in the same paragraph) and release the cursor. The references will open in a Text window where you can add parallel panes, context etc. If you still need the list of references, then in the text window remove the context, select all and Copy as References.

• Like 1

Thanks, Helen! It hadn’t occurred to me to start highlighting within the reference. That pretty much covers it. Is there a reason that I can’t add the surrounding verses (other than ‘all text’)  the way I can with a normal window? I generally avoid those ‘text’ windows for that reason (in addition to the lack of a search box, which is just disconcerting). In this case you have shown me that I can highlight the verses and copy-as-reference to generate a list which I can then paste into the normal search bar, but this is an oddly indirect way to get to it. Seems like copy-as-reference would be a nice option to have directly from the highlighted list in the lexicon, although you’ve solved the majority of my problem.

Edited by Susan

I love the Dictionary of Classical Hebrew in part because it provides a comprehensive list of verse references with the word of interest in various relationships with other words (e.g. all instances of a particular verb with subject YHWH, etc.)  Admittedly, some of these are possible to reconstruct using the syntax module, but DCH has the advantage of listing, for instance, the "sense" subject of non-finite verbs as well as those which are either implicit or expressed with pronouns, none of which is possible in the syntax database as far as I know. It's possible to copy and paste these lists, but they paste into the search box like this:

Gn 4729 491 Ex 118 711 84.21.27 1016.24 1221.31 Lv 11 91 104 Nm 2410 Dt 51 Jos 66 2 S 115 1 K 207 2 K 611 Is 414 426 4611 Jb 1916 Lm 222 Est 45 1 C 1511

which is a format that Accordance doesn't like (understandably). If I add all of the appropriate commas and colons, it works, but this is a pain.

I would like to be able to copy and paste those references directly into a search bar in order to look through them in context. (I do realize that I can mouseover them and see each verse in instant details. However, this is more difficult to glance through than a list, and it would be nice to be able to see them with English parallel.) Although DCH is the resource where this would be most useful to me, any lexicon (and sometimes commentaries, etc.) has lists of verses in this same format. It seems like this shouldn't be too hard (but what do I know?!) since Accordance already has all of these verse references tagged.

As usual, if there's a way to do this that I'm missing, please let me know.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this, Susan, as I had the same issue. And thank you, Helen, for the solution. I knew that th was a trick, but I did not remember how to do it.

Thanks a lot!