Ugaritic - Congratulations, questions, comments

Michel Gilbert

Hi Acc and Peter,

I never thought I'd see the day when I could read a tagged Ugaritic text. Thank you very much, and thank you for releasing it before the Ba'al cycle was finished.

Peter, well done. I see you're using DULAT for glosses, at least for all the words I checked. I really appreciate that.

A few questions/comments:

First, is it possible or planned for the Ugaritic Tagged Text to run parallel with the UDB Texts, so we can follow the text critical notes?

Second, are there any plans for a Ugaritic grammar? My vote would be for Bordreuil and Pardee's Manual of Ugaritic over Segert's Basic Grammar. I don't think Acc should spend precious time on Williams' Basics of Ancient Ugaritic (Peter's “introductory module intended for those users who know their Hebrew but haven't ventured into the respective fields of Ugaritology and comparative Semitic philology” will probably cover as much as or more than Williams' grammar).

Finally, Peter, if you ever feel discouraged working on this project, know that I and many others will make good use of this Module. So, please persevere and finish all the texts. When you finish the tagging and critical notes, please continue on to the syntax tagging. You may even have students by then to help finish this database, and move on to Akkadian.  :) 

Thank you again.

Regards,

Michel

[edited Williams']

Edited by Michel Gilbert
  • Like 2

Hi Michel

Thank you for your kind words. I'm happy that you're enjoying the module! I'm currently working on finishing the Ba'lu cycle, after which I'll be working on a critical apparatus: The tagged text contains only a single interpretation - one of many within scholarship. I can also confirm that I'm using the DULAT for gloss indexation (there is no other dictionary out there of similar magnitude to contest it anyway), but I don't always follow it. One example is with noun r}y in UDB 1.3 I 12, which is listed as a noun ridn (I) in DULAT. You will, as such, not find r}y in DULAT anywhere. This will, of course, be mentioned in the apparatus.

I might be a little biased here, but I would recommend the one by Bordreuil/Pardee, too, if only for practical reasons: Both my introductory module and the instant details (mostly) follow his grammatical understanding and terminology (stems and moods). I don't know the one by Williams, so I can't tell if it would "fit in". I learned Ugaritic back in the day with Segert's and Sivan's respective grammars, and I still use them, but their terminologies will not fit in with the introductory module or the instant details. If I had to recommend another one, it would be Josef Tropper's monumental reference grammar (only available in German).

With kind regards

Peter

Edited by Peter Brylov Christensen

If I had to recommend another one, it would be Josef Tropper's monumental reference grammar (only available in German).

Agreed, along with Pardee’s 404 page review of it.

Regards

• Like 1

You know, Tropper released a new edition of his grammar in 2012, so I wonder if Pardee will write a similar review again..