Greek lemmas unique to James

Randy Cue

How can I generate a list of Greek lemmas found only in the book of James?

Search the Greek New Testament for this: [COUNT 1] [RANGE James] (both of these commands are found in the Enter Command submenu of the Search menu).

Then choose Analysis from the Analytics pop-up menu (the icon that looks like a bar chart to the right of the number of hits).

Edited by David Lang
  • Like 1

Thanks David. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Hi ya,

Randy : Did you want vocab unique to James ? That's how I read what you asked for.

David : doesn't your query find GNT hapax legomena that just happen to be in James ? If so there is at least theoretically the possibility that there are lemmas occurring more than once in James but nowhere else in the GNT.

Following on from that then I tried to construct such a search and it's proving tricky on 11.1.3.

I used one tab for tab1 : * [range james]   to get all words in James

I used one tab for tab2 :  * [RANGE matt-heb, 1 pet-rev]  to get all words in the GNT except those in James

I used one tab for tab3 : [hits tab1] <NOT> [hits tab2]

This last query should I would have hoped returned all the hapax plus any cases of multiple occurrences of a word unique to James. What I got was a dialog box saying no such verses exist. This is clearly not so as your query finds results which are unique to James, so I should have at least got those.

OK I get it now. Sorry - what I really wanted in tab3 was : *@[HITS NA28 Greek NT 2]@-[HITS NA28 Greek NT 3]

That gives 72 hits in 48 verses of the NA28 Greek NT.

The hapax query by contrast only gets 54 hits in 38 verses, which finally adds these (after additional silly mistakes on my part ! Eeek !) via one more tab diff my tab3 and David's results. I spot checked three and they look right.

Number of different forms = 9:

ἄγε    (ἄγω)    come! go! = 2
        ἀκατάστατος    (α, κατά, ἵστημι)    unstable = 2
        ἀποκυέω    (ἀπό, κύω)    to bear young, bring forth = 2
        δίψυχος    (δύο, ψύχω)    double-minded = 2
        ἔοικα    (εἰκών)    to be like = 2
        μετάγω    (μετά, ἄγω)    to guide, direct = 2
        πικρός    bitter = 2
        φλογίζω    (φλόξ)    to set on fire = 2
        χαλιναγωγέω    (χαλάω, ἄγω)    to bridle = 2

Thx

D

You should get the same result more simply with 2 tabs:

Tab 1:  * [RANGE matt-heb, 1 pet-rev]     to get all words in the GNT except those in James

Tab 2:   [RANGE James] *@-[HITS NA28 Greek NT]     to get all words in James not found in the first tab

The Hits graph on a third tab would demonstrate that all these words are clustered in James

Tab 3:  [HITS NA28 Greek NT 2]     to search the entire text for words in James not found in the first tab

This works for me, but I get 63 forms (72 hits) in the Analysis tab for both tab 2 and tab 3..

• Like 3

Nice one Helen. Thanx for that.

Thx

D

Hi ya,

Randy : Did you want vocab unique to James ? That's how I read what you asked for.

David : doesn't your query find GNT hapax legomena that just happen to be in James ? If so there is at least theoretically the possibility that there are lemmas occurring more than once in James but nowhere else in the GNT.

Following on from that then I tried to construct such a search and it's proving tricky on 11.1.3.

I used one tab for tab1 : * [range james]   to get all words in James

I used one tab for tab2 :  * [RANGE matt-heb, 1 pet-rev]  to get all words in the GNT except those in James

I used one tab for tab3 : [hits tab1] <NOT> [hits tab2]

This last query should I would have hoped returned all the hapax plus any cases of multiple occurrences of a word unique to James. What I got was a dialog box saying no such verses exist. This is clearly not so as your query finds results which are unique to James, so I should have at least got those.

OK I get it now. Sorry - what I really wanted in tab3 was : *@[HITS NA28 Greek NT 2]@-[HITS NA28 Greek NT 3]

That gives 72 hits in 48 verses of the NA28 Greek NT.

The hapax query by contrast only gets 54 hits in 38 verses, which finally adds these (after additional silly mistakes on my part ! Eeek !) via one more tab diff my tab3 and David's results. I spot checked three and they look right.

Number of different forms = 9:

ἄγε    (ἄγω)    come! go! = 2

ἀκατάστατος    (α, κατά, ἵστημι)    unstable = 2

ἀποκυέω    (ἀπό, κύω)    to bear young, bring forth = 2

δίψυχος    (δύο, ψύχω)    double-minded = 2

ἔοικα    (εἰκών)    to be like = 2

μετάγω    (μετά, ἄγω)    to guide, direct = 2

πικρός    bitter = 2

φλογίζω    (φλόξ)    to set on fire = 2

χαλιναγωγέω    (χαλάω, ἄγω)    to bridle = 2

Thx

D

Yes Daniel, that's what I was looking for. Thanks to you and Helen.

• 2 years later...

I wanted the same search for Greek words unique to Acts. Helen's two-tab solution works great.

Thanks for that!