Olive Tree and Oak Tree Software

JayT

I've been curious about this for some time and figured I'd just come out and ask. It seems to me like Accordance looks an awfully similar to Olive Tree Bible Software, at least in the Mac interface. Is there any relationship between the two software companies that would explain this similarity?

LOL

Both companies have a very apple like interface.... but I assure you they really are not too related other than I believe both have have worked with the GRAMCORD Institute. OT has been recently purchased by Harpercollins while Accordance is an unaffiliated software. 

-Dan

• Like 1

And Accordance has been around longer ;-)

• Like 1

Aside from both companies having "Tree" in their name Oak Tree Software for Accordance and Olive Tree Bible Software: no. Olive Tree began as Bible software for mobile devices (even before the iPhone from what I understand) I would say that is still what they focus on. Accordance was developed as a Mac only product for many years before the iPhone when they came out for that and more recently developed a Windows native version. I have both Accordance and Olive Tree and find they each have advantages. Personally I find their interfaces quite different on the Mac. Similarities you find, though, may be due to the nature of working with the same subject.

Yep. There's no formal relationship, but many of us on the Accordance team have been friends with the folks at Olive Tree for a long time (and vice-versa).

I owned Olive Tree for many years and ran it on my Palm. Wound up purchasing several resources I already owned in Accordance. That was before Accordance mobile, of course.

• Like 3

... many of us on the Accordance team have been friends with the folks at Olive Tree for a long time (and vice-versa).

Not everything has to be about competition. I own packages from both companies but Accordance is the one I use. However, if someone comes to me and says they are reading the Scriptures using Olive Tree's app, then I say, "Great." I have friends who use and love Logos. While I love and appreciate Accordance for what it has meant to my own personal study of the Word, I rejoice that others have found something that allows them to do the same. 

• Like 2

Not everything has to be about competition. I own packages from both companies but Accordance is the one I use. However, if someone comes to me and says they are reading the Scriptures using Olive Tree's app, then I say, "Great." I have friends who use and love Logos. While I love and appreciate Accordance for what it has meant to my own personal study of the Word, I rejoice that others have found something that allows them to do the same. 

I show them the possibilityis from Accordance to make converts. Mostly the other had never heard that there are a Biblesoftware which can more. Most of them use the YouVersion, because someone had this recommend them, and they had never heard of Biblestudy with Accordance. 

If Accordance Mobile comes with an Info Pane, it beats OT also in this area. The only one in which OT is nicer to me is the reading experience, they work hard that it looks more natural.

Fabian

• Like 2

Can anyone elaborate on the significance of the trees?

I understand another Bible software company may be changing its name to Logostree in order to compete better against the established market leader. Allegedly. :)

Can anyone elaborate on the significance of the trees?

I understand another Bible software company may be changing its name to Logostree in order to compete better against the established market leader. Allegedly. :)

Alistair, with you interest in trees may I recommend: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=BP-Trees%2C+Plants%2C+Flowers. 

:)

Yep. There's no formal relationship, but many of us on the Accordance team have been friends with the folks at Olive Tree for a long time (and vice-versa).

I owned Olive Tree for many years and ran it on my Palm. Wound up purchasing several resources I already owned in Accordance. That was before Accordance mobile, of course.

That's good to see you guys talk. I have owned Olive Tree's Bible Reader for many years as well, and had purchased several resources. I just recently noticed that I did not have the Amplified Bible on Accordance, but I knew I had it in Bible Reader. I have since rectified that problem... :)

I also used the Bible Reader on a Nokia flip phone I believe.  I now use Accordance's app for iPhone as my predominate/go-to mobile bible app.

Back in 1998, Accordance wasn't the only software being developed by OakTree Software :-)

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-28%20at%209.16.0

Very cool Mark I had no idea.... as for why trees... well it might go back to Genesis "tree of Life" "tree of knowledge" "oak of Moreh"... The Olive Tree is wise enough in Judges to not want to be king, in Psalm 52 the psalmist compares himself to an olive tree, perhaps more importantly in romans the body of Christ is compared to an olive tree... with grafting in of different branches it has a nice symbolism to different modules being graphed together to form one program. I could be very wrong about these ideas but just what I had always assumed.

-Dan