Favorite Commentaries

kpang808

The entire NICOT/NT for $599??!! Pinch me, I must be dreaming... ö

Wow, these guys at Accordance are amazing...

Even I not a huge fan of the NIC will say there are enough excellent volumes in the set to make that a good deal. I just wish I found them as useful as others...

-Dan

Psalms and Proverbs are both excellent... Genesis is pretty good....  I should spend more time in them but I think i hit sections that don;t speak to me... I know I complained that current Luke didn't speak to me like 1952 Luke... But I will say I have found insight in Luke.... 1 Corinthians really felt very well done to me... those are the ones I have liked off the top of my head....

-Dan

• Like 1

Psalms and Proverbs are both excellent... Genesis is pretty good....  I should spend more time in them but I think i hit sections that don;t speak to me... I know I complained that current Luke didn't speak to me like 1952 Luke... But I will say I have found insight in Luke.... 1 Corinthians really felt very well done to me... those are the ones I have liked off the top of my head....

-Dan

I appreciate your honest feedback Dan!

Tony, what you said got me thinking, as usual!

Disclaimer, i havent been to a seminary and dont really have access to academics i can ask so am reliant on libraries, dwindling book shops and forums like this.

I was on retreat and had access to a library with a reasonable stack of commentaries. I had an assignment on ecclesiastes and found the wbc commentary useful.

As the wbc set doesnt include 1 cor, i decided to get the nicnt in the current sale as have looked at them in the past. Having spent a bit more time with it now, what i think really draws me to wbc and nivac is the way they are structured rather than whether they are conservative or liberal. The contemporary application in the matthew volume doesnt resound with me as the examples are ones i dont really relate to( compared to the luke and john volumes) but i still find gems in the other sections.

From the time i have spent with the nicnnt the commentary, it doesnt appear to be as structured. It will be interesting to see how i get on with it when living with it, but i certainly value the structure of the wbc. Hopefully that will be on a really good deal again some time in the future.

And yes, as dr j says, it is important to have different resources, but after recently being at a challenging conference, it is also good to take stock of what it is that creates our personal comfort zone and it looks like structure is quite important to me!

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

It may just take some time to get use to! Or like you said it could be personal preference. I've heard a lot of good from all three that you mentioned WBC, NIVAC, NICOT/NT!

Hi Fraser,

I was taking a look at the NICNT 1Corinthians index, and it seemed pretty well structured. Well, I did notice some possible sections to fix (which I highlighted in the partial screenshot), but it wasn't like the one I saw in your screenshot.

post-32492-0-58927000-1455270881_thumb.png

post-32492-0-54096200-1455270885_thumb.png

Hi anthony, thanks

Unfortunately i cant show you in wbc as there isnt a volume and i dont have any nicnnt where i have all three

Under e on your screen shot

It takes you to the commentary sections but they are not further broken down. (Screenshot below).

In wbc each of these sections would be further broken down to translation, form and structure and comments etc so i dont have to read the author's explanation. If you have the nicnt luke commmentary, it may be worth comparing how 4:1-13 is broken down. (Dan kindly sent me the text and it appears in one section and doesnt have the subdivisions that wbc and nivac do. It is translation followed by 'explanation').

This is very much personal preference, but this thread got me thinking about why i feel comfortable with the wbc.

;o)

Screen shot of e on my ipad and each link takes you straight to commentary with no further divisions.

Edited by ukfraser

Oh, okay, I get it. Well, that would be something to consider adding in future editions, but at least that doesn't make the information any less valuable.

The sale on NICOT/NICNT is amazing! Compared to how much this series usually costs here, other websites, or other software. Accordance has amazing sales, this one is really hard to pass up!

• Like 1

Its made it to number 5 on the top sales list!

Clearly others agree

;o)

• Like 1

I seen on bestcommentaries.com that NICOT/NICNT is ranked 41 times in the top 3 for the volumes they cover! I'm sure when they complete the whole bible they'll keep increasingly! I've been impressed with this series so far

I pretty well suspect the reason for 'Preach the Word' being #1 was the incredible sale price of $99, it was just too good an offer for people to pass over.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I see the jps torah commentaries are on sale, now is an ideal time to get this brilliant set!

• 2 weeks later...

I also see the NAC volumes at a pretty good price now. What are your thoughts on using this series?

Thanks.

I've enjoyed using them Anthony! Definitely a great deal. They aren't too technical but have a lot of solid commentary in each one I've used so far.

• 3 months later...

Hello Keith

Great question.

I recommend sincerly to take a look on the commentary Luther on Galatians.

Very greatly commented Epistle.

sincerly,

Grace and Peace be unto you.

Flavio