Research query for dove returns Dives

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

Acc 11.1.3

Mac El. Cap

Ran a research query - all tools for : jonah <AND> dove

It came up with Dives in a number of places, the first in my case was in the New Bible Dictionary.

Thx

D

Sounds like a flex result for the verb dove, but I'm guessing you meant the noun dove. 

Hi Rick,

Ah forgot about exact versus flex. Exact does sort it out for my case. Thanx.

Actually it isn't dive from dove in this case though I can understand the stemmer going sideways here - I assume it's a stemmer in the flex case. It's Dives as in Lazarus and Dives in this instance. I rather doubt much can be done about this if it really is a stemmer issue because of the dove/dive case but switch to exact. But you are right I was chasing nouns not verbs (didn't even consider dive (verb) actually).

Thanx for the help.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Well, when they threw Jonah into the sea [וַיִּשְׂאוּ אֶת־יוֹנָה וַיְטִלֻהוּ אֶל־הַיָּם (Jonah 1:15)], maybe we can also say Jonah dove into the sea... [Hits +1!] :D

Edited by Anthony Sepulveda
  • Like 1

Well, when they threw Jonah into the sea [וַיִּשְׂאוּ אֶת־יוֹנָה וַיְטִלֻהוּ אֶל־הַיָּם (Jonah 1:15)], maybe we can also say Jonah dove into the sea... [Hits +1!] :D

I can see it now: as he's being thrown overboard, Jonah performs a triple backflip; and then as he shifts into a perfect dive position, he goes right into the mouth of the big fish! Talk about picture perfect (except there were no cameras back then)!

• Like 1

Do I detect a midrash here somewhere ? :)

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler