A Manual of Ugaritic

Michel Gilbert

Hi Rick,

Now that the Ugaritic Tagged Texts have begun to appear, does Acc intend on acquiring A Manual of Ugaritic by Pierre Bordreuil and Dennis Pardee?

https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_4K91FG9XN.HTM

If so, I'll wait for it in Accordance.

Thanks, and regards,

Michel

Hi Rick,

Now that the Ugaritic Tagged Texts have begun to appear, does Acc intend on acquiring A Manual of Ugaritic by Pierre Bordreuil and Dennis Pardee?

https://www.eisenbrauns.com/ECOM/_4K91FG9XN.HTM

If so, I'll wait for it in Accordance.

Thanks, and regards,

Michel

No current plans to acquire this title.

Eisenbrauns provides a PDF of the book and plates with the hard copy. It'd be a nice companion for Accordance, but in the meantime, you will still have an e-version.

Hi Robert,

Thanks. I do have access to the Adobe Digital Edition through my library, but by design it doesn't copy and paste correctly. If Acc was going to acquire it, presumably it would copy and paste correctly, so I would put up with my version until then. But now I know I'll have to get it elsewhere.

I was hoping that even if Acc wasn't actively pursuing A Manual, it was trying to acquire other Ugaritic works to support and build on Peter's database. Personally, I would like to see Pardee/Bordreuil, Sivan, Tropper, Smith/Pitard, and DULAT, all hyperlinked to the UDB Texts, Peter's database, commentaries, especially Dahood's Psalms, and COS (and DULAT and HAL hyperlinked). These would provide comparative notes on a substantial portion of the Ugaritic texts. I would also like to see Peter add syntax tags to his provisional work, to just go with something. Finally, I'd like a blank line added to Instant Details that I could edit myself, especially given the nature of these texts and the provisional nature of some of the tagging details.

Thanks again, and regards,

Michel

• Like 1

Michel,

Interesting. The pdf I received with my copy allows me to copy and paste directly into a word file, so I can create my own commentary on B&P's text. Yours doesn't?

Anyway, what you're describing w.r.t. the instant details is mostly achievable through a user note, no? (I will admit, I don't use Accordsnce to its fullest, so I'm clueless in some of these things.)

Hi Robert,

Here is a sample from ADE.

post-32543-0-61558500-1455288393_thumb.png

and the same pasted in Word 365 Pro in W10 Pro:

post-32543-0-70490500-1455288398_thumb.png

If yours copies and pastes correctly, maybe it's true, UT is better than McGill. :unsure:  :) 

Regarding User Notes, they are limited to verses and they aren't as convenient to use. I'm used to notes on single words in Logos, and hovering over them to see them. Since I make so many text critical notes, e.g., considering a note in BHS and/or HAL, playing around with paleo Hebrew fonts to see when certain types of copying errors might have been possible, and adding notes from versions or my own personal ones. There are so many garbled verses in the HB that a note on a verse can become quite long. If there was a blank line in ID, I would use it to summarize my findings, be able to consult it instantly, and consult a User Note for more details. It's actually something I asked for the first week I bought Acc.

I guess it doesn't hurt to bring it up again in a Feature Requests forum.

Regards,

Michel

Ok, I just tried it again, and you're correct. It's been a couple years. I guess I ran a bunch of replacements to fix most things, and I like my own layouts anyway. I do that even with Accordance modules (though the copy-and-paste is obviously better than what we have from the B&P PDF).

I will admit, I don't use Accordsnce to its fullest, so I'm clueless in some of these things.

Robert,

Yes, I'm the same way. 90% of my time in Acc is spent in the Hebrew syntax module. I'll say it again, it alone was worth the price of Acc. And, you've blazed a trail for Ugaritic and other texts.

Along the same lines, I think if Acc offered an exclusive bundle of Peter's database (including syntax tags) and the works I mentioned, many would buy Acc just for it and your Hebrew syntax database. Just imagine the comparative work that could be done.

To Acc:

I've mentioned once or twice that I would be willing to work for Acc on projects that are near and dear to my heart. Ugaritic offerings would be such a project. I'll be amping up my Psalms research in the Fall and consulting the works I mentioned all the time. So, for instance, I might find it useful to clean up ocr scans of some DULAT entries in the context of my own research. That would make the project less tedious for me in the long run. I don't like tedium, but in the end it would serve a greater good.

Just a suggestion and something to keep in mind.

Regards,

Michel

Michel,

There is a new edition of DULAT that is already available as an e-text, so no one should have to go through the tedium of cleaning up OCR scans.

Also, I would ask for John Huehnergard, An Introduction to Ugaritic (Hendrickson, 2012).

A.D.

Who else saw the price of the DULAT e-book and choked on their afternoon Timbit?

• Like 1

Michel,

There is a new edition of DULAT that is already available as an e-text, so no one should have to go through the tedium of cleaning up OCR scans.

Also, I would ask for John Huehnergard, An Introduction to Ugaritic (Hendrickson, 2012).

A.D.

Hi A.D.,

Good to know, and thank you very much for pointing that out. The last time I checked, admittedly a while ago, it was only available in paper. I wish Acc would go after this title and the others. The publishers must have electronic versions of all these now.

I know about Heuhnergard, and I wouldn't mind it myself. But if I had to decide, I would choose Bordreuil/Pardee for practical reasons. First, Pardee is more in conversation with Tropper, e.g., his 400+ page review of Tropper's first edition, much of which is still relevant for the second edition, so I think those two would make better companion volumes. Second, some have expressed the view that they only want reference grammars. Without a teacher supplying charts and handouts, it would be a bit difficult to use A Manual as a teaching grammar, and I would characterize it as somewhere between a teaching and reference grammar. Third, I would like The Manual hyperlinked to the passages that Pardee translated in COS. People will be surprised to see how many differences there are. Finally, since Peter has expressed his preference for The Manual (admittedly over Segert; he didn't mention Huehnergard), it makes sense to focus Acc's attention on just this one grammar.

Even though much of the hyperlinking could be done with algorithms, there would still be much work to do beforehand, e.g., creating an underlying common reference system, and editing Pardee's review for comparison with the second edition. I would certainly not mind if someone else would do it. Perhaps Peter and/or his students will end up doing it.

Thanks, and regards,

Michel

Edit:

If all the texts were in Unicode, I wonder if Acc programmers could write an initial algorithm to equate CTA=KTU, etc., and then another algorithm to check and verify whether the same text appeared in the links, and flag possible problem areas for human readers to check? If so, maybe it wouldn't be that difficult or take that long. If Acc obtained the etexts and the rights, Peter could be checking these flagged sections as he goes along.

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Who else saw the price of the DULAT e-book and choked on their afternoon Timbit?

When I saw the price, I forwent my afternoon coffee and donut, to start saving up . . . 

I do not mean Huehnergard instead of Pardee, but also.

As for DULAT, it's barely more than a third the price of Rainey's Canaanite in the Amarna Tablets, so I don't see what the big problem is. </sarcasm>

A.D.