Run Accordance from a Flash Drive

John F. Hart

I teach at a college level and have a student teaching assistant. I want him to do some research with Greek in Wallace's grammar and in Greek texts. Can I legally load Accordance on his laptop or do I have to purchase a second licensed copy of Accordance? If I put Accordance on a flash drive and he runs the program from the flash drive, is that legal instead of downloading to his computer? Can I even run Accordance from a flash drive? What other solutions are there?

John: No, you cannot legally load Accordance on his computer, nor can you load it on a flash drive as it will not run from there. Your license lets you install on up to 5 devices for your own use, or on one device for multiple users. So you can remove Accordance from all but one of your devices, and then share that device with your student, if you want to. There is no other legal way for him to use it other than going to a library where it is installed, or buying a copy for his use.

Temporary installations are not legal, and though we have had requests, we have not pursued the matter with ALL the publishers who would have to agree. After all, if you loan a textbook to a student you cannot use it yourself at the same time. We doubt publishers would be happy with short-term licensing of their products.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer, Helen. That's helpful. I'll find some resolution with these ideas and info.

Was just thinking, the app store version allows family sharing. What are the limitations of this?

We cannot prevent family sharing but our own licenses for the content and the application allow spousal sharing for occasional use only. If both are serious users, students or professional, they should get separate copies, but may qualify for a family discount.

One thing that should be legal and should work is clone your hard drive to a portable hard drive. start up on your friends computer with your hard drive... When you leave take the drive with you.. So in effect you are using the backup of your primary installation and it was never installed on your friends computer.

-Dan

With $110 you and your assistant are on the save side.

Don't forget he can use then Accordance for his own Greek researches too, so the money is not lost.

If I understand you right and he is able to work with, Greek and he will satisfy with Accordance for longer than only for this "short" research.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1