farcas

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:21 PM

In Accordance, there are creative ways to find word play in Hebrew. For example, using the Wild Card features in a construct search, Gen 6:8 has some nice word play on Noah's name: ונח מצא חן בעיני יהוה. Another example of this occurs in the Judah and Tamar narrative (Gen 38:7): ‏ויהי ער בכור יהודה רע בעיני יהוה וימתהו יהוה.

Right now I do this because I know the letters/root I'm looking for. In the form of a construct search it looks like this: two lex using wild cards (?(רעע)?(רעע)) WITHIN 10 words that do not agree in root.

So how can I search for two lex used in this kind of word play that share the same letters, but not the same root, when I don't know the root beforehand? Is there a way to reference the root/lex of another word and its characters in a construct search? Something akin to ???(=2) but instead of referencing the second character within that particular lex, I reference another root/lex and its characters. Or is there a way to specify the characters within my use of the wild cards by using the hits from a search: ?([HITS])?([HITS])?([HITS]).

Thanks!

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 12,024 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:13.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

No, you cannot use character wildcards to reference another word. There is really no way to find lexemes or inflected forms that share letters but in a different order, except, as you say, by specifying the letters.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 farcas

farcas

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

Is there any kind of work around you could imagine using the HITS command? Maybe compiling a list of words that share letters...?

Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hebrew, Searching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users