KB shortcut for Triple click

Mark Glodfelter

I was wondering if there is a keyboard shortcut for triple clicking on a Bible word. Thanks.

No. But it's a good idea.

Triple-clicking involves selecting a word and then indicating that you want to look it up. The only way you could do a keyboard shortcut for such an action is if you're wanting to look up a word which has already been selected. Is that what you're suggesting?

I was wondering if there is a keyboard shortcut for triple clicking on a Bible word. Thanks.

Triple clicking is a pain. Wish there was an easier way. Anything past 2 clicks might as well be 20. Maybe an alternative way for this to be done in future release will be nice.

You can right-click for the contextual menu, and choose Lookup/Dictionary.

Triple-clicking involves selecting a word and then indicating that you want to look it up. The only way you could do a keyboard shortcut for such an action is if you're wanting to look up a word which has already been selected. Is that what you're suggesting?

That would work, if 'selecting' meant not highlighting a word, but clicking within it, in the same way as clicking within a verse and pressing Command+U is good enough to bring up a user note.

And I agree with David Lang that triple clicking isn't ideal, although I'm not sure 3 is the same as 20! That would be a pain.

I just tried out key combos for triple clicking or amplifying to any specific tools using Quicksilver. Works great. Just have the cursor anywhere in the word an hit you key shortcut.

I made a custom trigger to run: Current Application/List menu items

You can google for more info on all that

The Mac way is that everything available in a contextual menu should also be available in the main menu. In fact everything should be in the main menu.

Someone a while back wanted a menu item to switch to the next tab. That's not as silly as it sounds, Safari has just such a menu item.

Part of the reason is that once it is in the main menu, OS-X allows you to assign your own keyboard shortcut to it.

So I would say that a number of these features really need to be added in the main menu.

I'm not wanting to start a flame war, but I'm in the middle of my Presbyterian Exegesis Ordination exam (Thank God for Accordance!) and feeling a little punchy so I thought I'd add my two-cents with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek:

triple clicking vs. a command/shift/option/T finger contortion?

I'll take the triple click.

:P

Part of the reason is that once it is in the main menu, OS-X allows you to assign your own keyboard shortcut to it.

Quicksilver will let you do this using triggers.

In fact, you have to use something like Quicksilver to add custom key combinations.

Accordance is not a Cocoa-generation app and so there are some OS X technologies that won't work with it. One of them is that the built-in keyboard preference panel method of assigning your own key combinations doesn't work.

And I agree with David Lang that triple clicking isn't ideal, although I'm not sure 3 is the same as 20! That would be a pain.

Don't pin that on me! Someone else said that.

I'm a fan of triple-clicking. I've seen programs use a single-click to look up words, in which case you can't do anything without accidentally getting some dictionary window popping up. Other programs use a double-click, but if I just want to select a word and do something other than look it up, I can't just double-click like I do in every other Mac program.

Triple-clicking is a logical extension of the double-click. The old Macintosh Bible book used to explain that double-clicking an icon in the Finder was really a two-step action: with the first click you selected the file, and with the second you indicated that you wanted to open it. In Accordance, double-clicking a word selects it, and then the third click perfoms an action.

Incidentally, this is why you only have to double-click a label in the Atlas or Timeline. Because those items are not treated as a string of text, you click once to select the label and once more to perform the action. So again, we're consistent with Mac interface standards.

Personally, I don't find triple-clicking any harder than double-clicking, but perhaps I'm more coordinated than some! ;-)

For me its not the lack of coordination at all. I just prefer to use the keyboard and keyboard shortcuts for most tasks at hand. I do understand that there are people who prefer commands by the using the mouse and clicking on toolbars and menus. Keyboard shortcuts in apps provide a quicker access for me.

I understand. Just couldn't resist the temptation to tease you a bit. That's the price you pay for using hyperbole! ;-)

The OP wasn't saying that Triple-clicking was bad, just asking if the keyboard option was there. S/he really even requesting the feature, but asking if it was there.

Other posters said Triple-clicking is a pain. But this can just mean it's not for them. People are differently abled, we should be cognizant of that.

As users, we like to dream up new options... it need not be understood as the snubbing of current features.

Joe,

I don't believe I ever took the request for a new option as a snub. On the contrary, I asked for clarification on how such a shortcut should be implemented.

Neither did I respond to the "triple-clicking is a pain" comment until it was mistakenly attributed to me. Since I was posting anyway, I figured I would use the opportunity to explain why we chose triple-clicking in the first place. I just did it with a little good-natured ribbing.

So no snub taken, and no snub intended on my part. :-)

So no snub taken, and no snub intended on my part. :-)
Oh yeah, well you're short. </snub>

Don't pin that on me! Someone else said that.

Sorry, David. Mistake.

The bottom line is this, I'm not sure your suggestion that you're still in line with Mac interface standards holds. You don't have to single click then double click a file to open - that would be a disaster if it were system-wide.

I don't know what the 'new' Macintosh Bible says, but I haven't seen triple clicking in any other application on Mac. It's not a massive deal, David, as I said, I don't think 3 clicks is the same as 20, but if you have your mouse set to a fast double click speed it might be hard to get that third click in. Many users are now using MacBooks, if Apple's sales are anything to go by, and the track pad is slightly slower too.

Again, not a big deal. I certainly agree with {whoever said it} that I'd rather triple click than Cmd+Opt+Ctrl+O or something ridiculous.

The bottom line is this, I'm not sure your suggestion that you're still in line with Mac interface standards holds. You don't have to single click then double click a file to open - that would be a disaster if it were system-wide.

Ben,

I think you misunderstood my paraphrase of the Macintosh Bible. Their point was that the act of double-clicking represented two actions: selection (accomplished by the first click) and action (accomplished by the second click). I didn't mean to imply that you had to single-click first to select, then double-click to open.

I don't know what the 'new' Macintosh Bible says, but I haven't seen triple clicking in any other application on Mac

Actually, triple-clicking has a function in every Mac program that deals with text: The selection of an entire paragraph. So we're definitely not the first or only program to use it. Where we break with the "standard" interface is that we use it to look things up rather than to select whole paragraphs. We figured triple-clicking wasn't well-known as a selection shortcut, so it wouldn't bother anyone if we replaced it.

I think you misunderstood my paraphrase of the Macintosh Bible. Their point was that the act of double-clicking represented two actions: selection (accomplished by the first click) and action (accomplished by the second click). I didn't mean to imply that you had to single-click first to select, then double-click to open.

Ah, yes. I did misunderstand. So you could actually double-click to open?

Actually, triple-clicking has a function in every Mac program that deals with text: The selection of an entire paragraph. So we're definitely not the first or only program to use it. Where we break with the "standard" interface is that we use it to look things up rather than to select whole paragraphs. We figured triple-clicking wasn't well-known as a selection shortcut, so it wouldn't bother anyone if we replaced it.

And you're right about triple clicking selecting paragraphs, ofcourse. How could I have forgotten that?

Archived