Creating an original languages reader using accordance

Michael Hunt

I noticed this the other day when browsing the web and wondered if there is a way to do something similar in Accordance.

https://academic.logos.com/2016/01/27/the-open-secret-to-mastering-greek-and-hebrew-vocabulary-its-not-flashcards/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedpress.me&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+academic-logos

Anyone have any ideas?

I would love to see this feature in Accordance!

It is cool, but with the instand details in Accordance you can quickly see the definition of any word in any text, so I am not sure how useful it would be.

You can replicate something very similar to this by highlighting words based on a frequency search, then hovering over them to get the gloss in ID. You could even use a highlight symbol below the words to keep it pretty unobtrusive and make you attempt to translate the word before automatically seeing the gloss. 

Replying here just jogged my memory…I wrote a blog post on this several years ago; see here. This tip subsequently made it in Con Campbell's little book Keep Your Greek.

• Like 5

Great post, Rick. Not to take the thread off-topic, but when it comes to customizing what's displayed in the Parse options, has there been discussion about adding a frequency option? (Based on the current Greek text, for example--I realize that could change from GNT to GNT.)

To reply to the OP: I think that technology in the external link is pretty impressive, but I'm not sure an interlinear setup is best--that's one advantage, actually, to Reader's Bibles, that (like Instant Details) you keep the translation info visually away from the text you're reading.

• Like 2

I must say Abram, I had a very similar reaction.

If a specific readers edition feature was to be implemented in Acc I would prefer to see it done as a customizable ID than as an interlinear.

Thx

D

• Like 2

We added ID frequency in 11.1, just hold command to get the expanded instant details, and it is listed along with your lexicon lookup.

• Like 2

Hey Rick, thanks for posting your blog post. Maybe I am not doing something right but is there a way to do the search and make all verses still show? When I do this search in John for example there are many verses that do not show up because all of the words appear more than 20 times.

post-33418-0-63991500-1455813240_thumb.jpg

Setting the context slider to All should do it.

Thx

D

Yea that did the trick, thanks.

Great post, Rick. Not to take the thread off-topic, but when it comes to customizing what's displayed in the Parse options, has there been discussion about adding a frequency option? (Based on the current Greek text, for example--I realize that could change from GNT to GNT.)

To reply to the OP: I think that technology in the external link is pretty impressive, but I'm not sure an interlinear setup is best--that's one advantage, actually, to Reader's Bibles, that (like Instant Details) you keep the translation info visually away from the text you're reading.

I agree with Abram, an interlinear is IMHO not a good approach to a reader's text and I believe it short circuits the learning process. Keep the English glosses away from the text but available IF/WHEN needed. That is what instant details already provides.

How about both and...? And option to control the interlinear in a more nuanced way would be great. Imagine the help this could be to students just starting out. At some point, looking up every other word to get through a text is just too cumbersome, even if that is with a hover or click.

Also, it'd be really nice to see this on the iOS. I rarely if ever use interlinear, but having more control over it would make it useful.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this the other day when browsing the web and wondered if there is a way to do something similar in Accordance.

https://academic.logos.com/2016/01/27/the-open-secret-to-mastering-greek-and-hebrew-vocabulary-its-not-flashcards/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedpress.me&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+academic-logos

Anyone have any ideas?

+1