11.1.4 Notes tied to a Tool don't stay through reload

Christopher Smith

I purchased the IVP Essentials OT Bible study, and I've set up a workspace to do the study. (I've learned a lot through my struggles with workspace and session, in order to preserve my setup and also have something to load when I reopen the program. Once I figured out I needed to name workspace and session differently—because they share the same file extension—I almost have everything working.

However, Dropbox on a laptop messes things up. Each time I awaken my MacBook, Accordance is bouncing with a blue badge. It wants to restart the session as part of Dropbox resyncing. That's fine (two dialog boxes request permission to do the same thing), but the result is a workspace with my IVP Essentials title but showing a workspace lacking the left one of three zones. If I close that window and open my saved "IVP Essentials session", the left-hand zone contains IVP Essentials Tool, but is blank inside. I open its browser and try to click on things, but nothing appears in the text area of that tab; no highlight of the item clicked in the browser either.

Workaround 1: If I quit and restart Accordance, I can open my IVP Essentials session and I can now see the IVP Essentials text. But the bottom half of that zone is blank (obviously masked out, and the cursor changes at the "mask line" to one for dragging pane edges, however the "mask line" can't be moved. The masked area is there because the bottom of that zone was used in my saved session for my User Notes tied to that Tool, but those User Notes are nowhere to be seen. If I click "Add Notes" at the top of the IVP Essentials tab, only Sample Notes and Sample Notes v2 are listed.

Workaround 2: I go to Finder and double-click on "IVP Essentials notes" and it opens at the bottom of my right pane (of 3) which is called Mixed by Accordance. I drag it back over to the left pane where I want it, below the IVP Essentials tool text, and all once again appears as I saved the workspace and session. (…until the next time the MacBook is awakened and has to re-sync Dropbox, lol!)

Variations from expected behavior:

1. Reloading a session after Dropbox sync should load the session you had before (especially if you saved at end of your last work session), looking as it did before.

2. Reloading a session after Dropbox sync should load the resources so they can be seen, not blank.

3. Saved sessions should retain which workspace was loaded, and arrangement of all tabs and panes, including User notes files. [Clarification: In my problems above, I'm not losing a user notes Edit window; I'm losing a user notes viewing sub-pane. I understand the edit window that pops up when Cmd-U is pressed. I don't leave that open when putting MacBook to sleep.]

4. User Notes files should display in the list of User Notes. They do appear in the Library panel, but it seems that UserNotes which are tied to a specific Tool should be in the pulldown in that Tool. "Add Notes" can mean "create a new Notes file", but it also can mean "add an area to this pane showing a particular Notes file".

I apologize for lack of screenshots. I will snap them the next time this occurs. I can't reproduce this issue at will, as it only occurs during/after Dropbox re-sync.

On the positive side: I love the ability to answer the questions of a study simply by adding User notes which are tied to that Tool. This is a newer feature, as User Notes used to only be linkable to Bible texts.

These problems are triggered by the Dropbox re-sync. Perhaps this wouldn't even happen if I didn't lose connectivity and Dropbox could stay happily synced.

Christopher

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for the detailed report of the Dropbox syncing problems you are having. It looks like Accordance is having trouble merging local changes in your current workspace with the saved session in Dropbox. 

Before we attempt to fix the issue, I wanted to make sure you need the automatic syncing of your current session (one of six options in Preferences > Syncing). Syncing of the current session will keep your Mac and Windows sessions in sync (not iOS), so if you only have Accordance on your MacBook then you most likely do not need to sync your current session. 

Do you have another desktop with Accordance that you are syncing your current sessions with? 

Mike

Thanks, Mike, for the reply. I apologize for the delay in my response; I've had Internet issues.

I see what you're saying, so I could turn off sync for sessions to reduce the chances of this occurring. I noted that today (with no preferences changes) with a more solid Internet connection today, Dropbox sync (2 tasks) proceeded in one dialog, not two, and the workspace remained unchanged. I'll keep an eye on things and report if problems persist.

I thought it strange, though, that when reopening a session saved on disk, space was left for the Notes at bottom left but the Notes weren't included/opened. I just tried saving my session, closed it, and reopened it from disk, and everything appeared correctly, including the Notes. So, Dropbox appears to be the culprit for all of the craziness.

Thank you,

Christopher