Flickering Display on Retina iMac

Robb B

On my 5k retina iMac, sometimes Accordance begins to flicker whenever the mouse is moved. Quitting the app and restarting it does not fix the problem. If I log into my wife's account on the Mac, Accordance seems to run fine even when it is flickering on my account. The only fix I have found is to completely restart the Mac itself.

I have a MacBook Pro retina and have never seen this issue.

Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone have an easy fix, such as trashing a preference, etc.? It seems like something must be corrupted if a restart cures the problem, but it gets old constantly restarting my Mac and not being sure when Accordance will just work. Also, no other apps on the Mac have this issue, so I don't think it's a problem with the Mac itself. The Apple Genius Bar confirmed the Mac is working as it should and it is a problem related to Accordance.

Thanks for any help.

I believe this is a known problem, but it it intermittent and rare. Which of course means it is hard to track down the cause. I have experienced it myself recently but it went away after a coupe of restarts. Jil may have more questions, but yes, others have experienced this.

• 1 year later...

I just started having this "flickering while scrolling" problem on my 5k Retina iMac (32GB memory, Accordance 12.0.6). I have never experienced this on my older (and slower) machines that are running the same version of Accordance. I have tried to duplicate the problem in other programs but to no avail.

Helen, sorry I forgot about giving you the system info (Mac OS Sierra, v. 10.12.4).

To the best of my memory, the problem started after the most recent update of Accordance. HOWEVER, a few days after I installed it I started up once in "Safe Mode" and hit all four "Clean UP" selections (Clear Library Cache, Clear Research Cache, Clear cached downloads, Clean up installed fonts). The problem has been with me ever since—even when no other programs were running. The problem was confined to the Accordance window I had open (even if only one text pane was visible).

This afternoon I decided to just restart the Mac and research the problem a bit, but once I rebooted the system the problem went away. Upon further reflection, I have to wonder if the reboot solved the problem, or if not having another user active (it was actually totally idle) in the background solved it (even though I have a ton of memory on this machine).

I have this problem sporadically, but I think I can say it is only ever when I have another user open (even if idle).

I STILL have this problem over a year later, and it is such a hindrance to using Accordance on my iMac. I can verify that the problem occurs no matter how many users are or are not logged into my Mac. If I do not load Accordance immediately upon a restart, it will happen the next time I load Accordance. If I quit Accordance, the next time I open it, the problem will be present. I literally have to restart my Mac every time I want to use Accordance or leave Accordance open at all times (and hope none of my kids accidentally quits it when doing their math). I took my Mac to the Apple store, and they said it was not a Mac problem after running diagnostics for 24 hours. They said it was a software bug. It happens with no other application. I wiped my Mac and did a clean install of MacOS, hoping that would fix it, to no avail. It happens on every user account. 

Thankfully, the problem does not exist on my MacBook Pro, which is my primary work machine, so I usually don't have to deal with it, but it is a real pain whenever I want to get work done on my iMac. A fix would be most welcome.