The Writings of James White

wboydsp

Is there a possibility of Dr. James White's material becoming available on Accordance? His writings would be good for study in theology.

• Like 2

+1

I agree. Dr. White's solid Biblical analysis would be welcomed by many Accordance Bible students. He is an avid Accordance user, too! All of Dr. White's recent writings and several others are available in Kindle format, so it should be practical to put up at least such titles as What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur'an, The Forgotten Trinity, The Potter's Freedom, Scripture Alone, The God Who Justifies, Grieving: Our Path Back to Peace, Mary--Another Redeemer?, Debating Calvinism: Five Points, Two Views, and The Same Sex Controversy: Defending and Clarifying the Bible's Message About Homosexuality.

• Like 2

We've actually had some preliminary discussion with Dr. White in the last two or three weeks about this. That doesn't mean anything is a done deal. Ultimately, it always comes down to negotiations with the print publishers, but know we're aware that James White is an Accordance user himself.

• Like 7

It is actually because of Dr. White that I found out about Accordance.

• Like 3

I am glad to know that there is a conversation going on. I do have many of White's works on Kindle. However, I believe Accordance would be a much better place to have his library.

Edited by wboydsp
  • Like 2

Actually not that I care much for the KJV only debate, the information in this book is quite useful. It teaches a lot about the bible translation process and textual criticism in a lay person easy to read manner. It's definitely worth including!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I was happy to find this post (took me a while, didn't it?).  I made the same request last year for the same reasons y'all have given.  We're regular listeners/watchers of The Dividing Line.  Accordance regularly shows up on the program.

Our church has book racks right inside the main entrance with discounted books on theological issues (paperbacks $5, hardbacks $10; discounted study Bibles; more academic works like systematic theologies are also there at substantial discounts).  I think all of Dr. White's books rotate through on a regular basis.  While we have picked up quite a few of them in their dead tree versions, we would so much rather have them in Accordance.  Hyperlinked Scripture references!  Being able to link my Notes to his comments!  Being able to attach notes that won't fit in a margin!  We all know the advantages to owning books in Accordance.  We're spoiled.  We want more spoiling … our demands never cease, do they?

I see that the last post was in March.  Any progress?

Actually not that I care much for the KJV only debate, the information in this book is quite useful. It teaches a lot about the bible translation process and textual criticism in a lay person easy to read manner. It's definitely worth including!

I encounted the KJV Onlyism on the radio in the mid-90s.  It was the first I'd ever heard of such a thing.  I read both D.A. Carson's book and Dr. White's first edition on the subject.  I have more recently read the second edition, adding notes to Accordance.  Being strongly Berean in temperament, and having heard more than my fair share of nonsense from one pulpit or another (not mentioning any names so as to protect the perpetrators), I checked out everything Dr. White said.  Used my tools in Accordance to check out every single variant, every single English version (had to go online for the Coverdale Bible).  My respect for Dr. White grew.  Do we agree with him on everything?  Probably not.  Is he worth hearing?  Most definitely!

Our pastor recommends The King James Only Controversy to those who want to understand the textual issues.  Dr. White is truly excellent in this area.  It is written on a level that non-Koine folks can easily understand.  The technical stuff in Part Two is very well presented.  Thus, even for those who don't much care about the KJV-Only stuff, this book, also, is well worth the read.

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 2

We've actually had some preliminary discussion with Dr. White in the last two or three weeks about this. That doesn't mean anything is a done deal. Ultimately, it always comes down to negotiations with the print publishers, but know we're aware that James White is an Accordance user himself.

Sadly it usually is the publishers that are the issue.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Any news?

Just sent an email to see if there's any movement. I'll let you (and everyone in this thread) know as soon as I hear something.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...