Verb with two complements

Robert Holmstedt

As I continue to work on a manual for the Accordance Hebrew syntactic database, I will occasionally post interesting (to me) searches. Below is my first. (If you want something particular, ask and I'll see what I can come up with while I'm writing the manual.)

I wanted to see if I could find clauses in which a trivalent verb (=1 subj, two comps) took one NP complement and one PP complement. The search below (note the option to "search both directions" is checked) took care of it quite nicely.

By adding a Predicate=Verb and/or inserting a desired lexical root before the two comps phrases, the search could be further specified to look for verbal types (yiqtol, qatal, etc.), binyanim (Qal, etc.) and/or roots (דבר, etc.). 

NPCompPPComp.accord.zip

Edited by Robert Holmstedt

This looks like fun, but "Accordance has unfortunately crashed" every time I try to open it. 

It actually runs on 11.1.3 and crashes 11.1.4.

In any case I played with this particularly I was interested in highlighting the verb in the top level predicate phrase. For example there are two hits in Gen 1:5. Adding the verb will cause one hit or the other two be neglected, though the remaining hit does highlight the verb. The reason appears to be that verb in the first hit occurs before the both compliments while in the second the verb is between the two compliments. I don't think there is a way around this (except multiple constructs OR'd) unless Acc were to support not just "search both directions" but check all permutations which is a bit of an ask for a large query.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler