AgileCloudKit and iCloud Kit Syncing between all Versions (MAS/Non-MAS)

Karl Karzelek

As far as I know there is no iCloud Syncing in Accordance, only DropBox and Wifi. Both are sub-optimal for me. I experienced DropBox syncing to be problematic and not always reliable. And I don't use Wifi Syncing really often. 

Apple provides its own syncing solution with iCloud. There were two problems with that solution:

1. It was complicated to implement

2. It was only working for Apps in the App store.

As far as I can see it, both problems have been solved with the introduction of iCloud Kit syncing.

It is easier to implement. And there is a way to enable it for App Versions, that are outside of the Mac App Store … if your App is also available on the App store.

This is the route AgileBits has chosen for 1Password. They have explained their approach here:

https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/01/12/agilecloudkit-icloud-sync-gets-its-wings/

I switched from Dropbox syncing in 1Password to the new solution and as far as I can see it works flawlessly and much faster and reliable then Dropbox syncing has been working before.

Maybe this is a viable solution for Accordance, since your App is also available on the MAS, but a lot of Users are using the Version bought outside the store, as I am.

• Like 1

The iOS app uses iCloud syncing for its version of bookmarks and the Remember My Place feature between a user's iOS devices.

Yes. But only in this limited area and you can't sync that with your mac, if you are not using the MAS version of Accordance.

True. But we also need a solution that supports the Windows desktop app.

True. But we also need a solution that supports the Windows desktop app.

It's already there: Dropbox :) 

The idea is not to take that away but to add this certain implementation of iCloud Kit.

• 2 months later...

Now having the Mac version as a Full Cocoa App is iCloud Sync now a possible future feature ? Im using iCloud Sync in an PDF App which i have on 3 devices (2 iOS and one macosx) and the flawless iCloud Sync is fantastic. But i understand syncing is a difficult feature to get it right. I tested a lot of Apps where developers gave up... After they tried for years!

Is the OSX app one you purchased from the Mac App Store?

Actually i bought it directly from the developer. It is also available in the AppStore. It saves to iCloud Drive - so I have all my pdfs etc. in one main directory from "Documents by Companyname"... so its just there when i pickup my iPad to read and write on it... 

But I fear your question is leading to a programming fence made by Apple? Not sure iCloud Drive and the syncing Accordance would need are two different stories?

__ Hmm.. Continuity and Handoff.. does the trick there.

Edited by JayDee

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this makes this topic obsolete:

Developer ID-signed apps can now take advantage of CloudKit, iCloud Keychain, iCloud Drive, remote (push) notifications, MapKit, and VPN entitlements.

Source: https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/releasenotes/MacOSX/WhatsNewInOSX/Articles/OSXv10.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40017145-SW1

Accordance can now provide CloudKit Sync for all users, MAS or non-MAS