How would I search for hina + future indicative?

Bret Hicks

I was wondering if it is possible to search for all NT occurrences of hina plus a future indicative (a rare construction)?  Can this be done without the syntax module?  If so, how?

Thanks.

In Christ,

Bret

Obviously the title of the topic is hina + future indicative - not china.  Spell check strikes again....

Bret

Edited by Helen Brown
I edited the title, you only need to ask, Helen

Yep:

ἵνα <AND> [VERB future indicative]

But, would you need to restrict the range to clause? It'll find occurrences where there is ἵνα and a future indicative is found but they aren't necessary in the same clause. Thus, some false hits. Yes? 

Range isn't right word now that I think of it. I just don't remember the right word (scope?). I'm not able to look presently.  

Ryan is correct, and it is the <SCOPE> command.  Since I am only searching for future indicatives that are part of a hina clause, I need the word hina followed by a future indicative verb within the same clause.

However, when I did this I still got some strange results.  I did the search 

ἵνα <AND> <FOLLOWED BY> [VERB future indicative]

And it returned 24 verses for the GNT text.  This seemed to be a lot to me since this is a very unusual construction.  So when I looked at the results, the very first one does not seem to fit.  It is Matthew 1:22 which is:

τοῦτο δὲ ὅλον γέγονεν ἵνα πληρωθῇ τὸ ῥηθὲν ὑπὸ κυρίου διὰ τοῦ προφήτου λέγοντος· 23 ἰδοὺ ἡ παρθένος ἐν γαστρὶ ἕξει καὶ τέξεται υἱόν,

καὶ καλέσουσιν τὸ ὄνομα αὐτοῦ Ἐμμανουήλ,
ὅ ἐστιν μεθερμηνευόμενον μεθ᾿ ἡμῶν ὁ θεός.

However, I do not think this is correct, because the ἵνα clause actually ends at λέγοντος.  So why does it include the future indicatives in v23 which are part of a different clause?  Is there something I am missing here?

In Christ,

Bret

Try inv <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 4 WORDS> [VERB future indicative]

or something like it.

Thx

D

• Like 1

If you have the syntax module, I'd say doing a construct search with that would be very effective. I'm not able to do this presently. But, once I get a chance, I'll share if I figure out a good way.

post-33565-0-06358400-1457990353_thumb.png

Here is a picture of the search. 

I got 15 results. But, the only issue here is the syntax module isn't finished. So, this is the only books that are done in the syntax module.

(Luke 14:10; 20:10; John 7:3; Acts 21:24; Gal 2:4; Rev 3:9; 6:4, 11; 8:3; 9:4-5, 20; 13:12; 14:13; 22:14)

Hi, Brett!

Your original post didn't specify you wanted the two terms to be related in some way, which is why I constructed my original search the way I did. If all you are looking for is ἵνα followed by the verb, try Daniel Semler's search (or a variation).

If you want to constrain the search to places where the two terms are part of the same phrase ("clause," in this syntax system, refers to groups of words with both a subject and a predicate), I recommend buying the syntax module and performing a construct search (as Ryan indicated). (Remember that the syntax module for the GNT is not yet complete, so it won't show hits between Ephesians and 2 Peter.)

Here's a sample construct search:

post-29215-0-21690500-1457990561_thumb.png

The only other one that I can see in the NT that wasn't found in the search above is 1 Peter 3:1. That could be debated though. But, I think that should be them all. From what I can find.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the help.  I suspected that I needed the syntax module to really get the exact results.  I don't have it at present, but it might be a future purchase.  Fortunately in this case, even the regular search gives few enough results that they can be sifted for the actual examples.

Thanks for the help.

In Christ,

Bret

• Like 2