Prospective Buyer Soliciting Advice: Primary Interest -- Original Languages

JohnABarnett

Thanks, Romans6.

Like  you stumbled on this thread, I stumbled on the Accordance opportunity without much forethought and only a day or two to decide what I wanted. I did get a really good deal. The timing was providential, as I would not have been able to take advantage of it at any other time than when I found it. (This is not an exaggeration.)

I have watched some videos, but because we have been involved in selling our house (it closes in a few days) and moving (just did that last weekend), I have not had the time or energy to really dig in. But the videos I've watched have made me appreciate the flexibility and power Accordance brings to the table. I look forward to getting started and digging in, hopefully starting this next week.

An intriguing forum name you have, referring to an intriguing chapter I assume.

Romans6, if you don't mind my asking, are you taking Greek in a degree course at a school? No real agenda behind the question, just curious 'cause I'm the curious sort.

Hey John,

Yeah I am a senior currently in Greek 2. My primary interest is not in languages but I definitely see the value for future ministry. My heart is for pastoral ministry and church planting but that is all Lord willing. Right now my main focus is learning how to love my wife (that is the hardest, marriage is teaching me how selfish I am), being faithful in my studies, and being a faithful church member.

I hope your move goes well, my wife and I will pray for you tonight when we have prayer. Also, yes my screen name is referring to Romans chapter 6.

Edited by romans6

Re: marriage, my own experience is the same.

Makes me ponder that, metaphorically being wed to Christ as part of the church, we learn the same thing, how great of sinners we are. I have often to myself and friends used the picture of a distant mountain that looks closer than it really is. Only as we by His grace keep driving, as it were, in the Christian life towards our Savior and our God do we increasingly realize the vast gap between ourselves and the perfect holiness of our Lord. We get closer to the mountain, but it appears even more distant than before precisely because the landscape between and the mountain itself grow more clear.

Having lived as a Christian since the age of 7, and having now reached the age of 61, I am far more acutely aware of the depth of my sinfulness now than I ever was as a young man. Have I grown in sanctification? Most definitely. God the Sanctifier is faithful. But I perceive the destination of sanctification as even farther away than when I started. The problem is not that the distance has really increased, it's that my original vantage point obscured the real distance between my sinfulness and God's holiness.

Father in heaven, be with "Romans6" as he endeavors to be faithful to his calling as a husband, a church member, and a student. Ground him deeply, we pray, in the realities and the truths of Romans 5:1ff and Romans 8:1ff.

Edited by JohnABarnett
  • Like 1