New 9.7" iPad Pro & problems syncing with Accordance

Julia Falling

Hey –

I got my new iPad Pro yesterday – it's beautiful.  As usual, general set-up was not without it's hitches.  The real problems came however, when I tried to load my Accordance modules by syncing with my Mac (MB Air mid-2013).  Sometimes nothing seemed to be happening (no progress bar).  Accordance crashed several times.  I only loaded a few modules at a time and still ran into problems.  Because there was no progress bar at times, I loaded some modules using Easy Install on the iPad (had to do this for Photo Guide & PhotoMuseum).  The process took hours.  I got everything I wanted on the iPad Pro but also got to bed very late.  I don't remember having this sort of frustration last time I got a new iPad.  I restarted applications and rebooted devices more than once during the process.  Nothing seemed to work.

I reverted to Acc 11.5 because of the problems I was having on the 11.6 beta1 (have since upgraded to beta2 on the Air).  Nothing changed.  The install remained difficult.  I was running the iAccord beta build 2.3.0.7517.  I have since loaded the latest beta, 2.3.1.7609.

I'm sure the process was complicated by the size of my library, but I didn't load everything.  My Accordance Usage on the iPad Pro is 8.2 GB.  I'm sure many have more.

This is more of a problem report.  Perhaps it stems from the betas?

It would be helpful to know if others, running the current non-beta versions, have had similar issues.

I will not be getting my 9.7 pro for a little over a week, I hope this is not a bug in Accordance iOS or if it is it can be squashed relatively quickly... I read this post initially yesterday and it is disappointing there has been no response yet (although if the people at ACC do not have access to a new pro yet it is understandable). I really hope this is related to the fact you were a beta tester and not to a flaw in the program. However if it is a program bug I guess i just will have to be patient till the fix is released.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

Dan –

Even though the process was slow, and even though I had some crashes, I did get everything I wanted on the iPad Pro and the iAccord app is working well.  I did add a couple of modules after upgrading to the latest iAccord beta and had the same issues.  I really hate not having the progress bar consistently – leaves me in the dark as to whether the module(s) are being installed or not.  I will confess that the process was frustrating.

You have a large library, too, right?

If the problem is not fixed soon, I don't recommend staying up until 2 am to finish the installation!

Please report back when you get your iPad Pro.  Which one did you order?  Mine is the Rose Gold & it's beautiful.  Still waiting on a case that doesn't cover up the upper speakers.  I bought a cheap $0.01 one ($5 for shipping) on Amazon that should arrive next week.  The nicer one isn't due to arrive until the end of April.

Rosegold 256GB it might seem like over kill but I honestly wouldn't be getting rid of my 3rd gen if it had more memory... but i just have to keep deleting things off to keep it functioning. My Library is 13.21 GB on disk)for 532 items (folder in the  applications support folder). I have taken a chance and ordered one designed for the air, i think I can cut way the openings in the pad protector (it looks like a Bible and folds out like a stand (my 3rd gen has always been in a book book). I know I also need to make the camera hole tear drop shaped to acomadate the flash, but I can be quite handy with an exacto-knife.

post-29263-0-21391800-1459624193_thumb.jpg

Worse case scenario pun NOT intended it was not overly expensive. not 1 cent but only $20...

-Dan

I am looking forward to it being a half pound lighter... it shocked me when i discovered my 3rd gen was roughly the same weight as the original 12 inch pro.

-Dan

We read ahead of time that the magnets are placed differently in the Pro than in the Air.  I'm currently using a case designed for the Air and closing the cover doesn't put the iPad to sleep.

I ordered this on Amazon (but it was only a penny when I bought it), with this one coming later (it was 13.99 when I bought it).  I have a case like the Rose Gold one that I used for my iPad Air for 2 years and I was very happy with it.  It gives very good protection of all edges and corners.  The only downside is that the light colors show dirt.  (EDIT:  If I went with a dark color, it would hide the color of the iPad.  I like that the back of the cover is transparent so that the Apple is visible.)

I don't think I'd like it for the 12" Pro, however.  I think there might be too much play in the position of the front cover because of the increased size.

Edited by Julie Falling

I am not sure there are any magnets in this case...however my Book book did not have one either and have a felt square with a magnet behind it and can so easily be moved to the new case.

-Dan

The placement of the upper right buttons is different.  There is a volume up and volume down, but the mute/lock rotation button is gone.  My iPad Air case, because it lined up and covered volume buttons with flexibile plastic, exposing only the mute/lock rotation toggle, won't work with the Pro at all.

its a fantastic device with the true tone display. So good for reading. More natural than any "sepia" option i had in any reader app before. Big plus for the device. I did go with the 32gb option - only using it for work (Accordance, PDF/Doc etc. reading/annotating, communication) so lots of space for me to mess around with. For media etc. i got my phone and streaming options. 

Im interested in a neutral, incognito case (like the one Dan Francis showed) for services use... some of the older ppl get very confused by my choice of (media)bible (an iPad! instead of a paper bible) - so covering it up as a book or something would be really good - any suggestions? (German content: so HolyBible written on it does also confuse ppl around me.. instead of listening to the word)

I would have been very happy to find one that just had a Cross on it but this one works for me... I do play games on it and surf the web but the Bible and spiritual readings is probably the significant amount of use for me. My book book was something I loved..it felt like holding a book it look completely like a book until you unzipped it. I did stencil a rough cross on it that was not too bad and went well with the depressed look of the Book Book design..

post-29263-0-29370300-1401737678_thumb.jpg

-Dan

PS:Thanks for the heads up Julie, I fully expected button access in this case as well as lower speaker cut outs would need to be cut out. I am ok with that... if it is a really bad failure I am sure within a year I can find an adequate book like cover designed for the Pro 9.7.

Now that we've all gone seriously off-topic with cases, thought I'd let y'all know that the case that wasn't expected until the end of the month arrived today.  Fit's perfectly.  All cut-outs – power, jack for earbuds, and little holes for speakers – are perfectly aligned.  The volume and on/off buttons are covered with flexible plastic yet the buttons function perfectly, as does sleep/wake with the cover.  The cover stays closed if the iPad is head upside-down.  The back is transparent, tinted rose-gold, & the Apple logo shows clearly.  And it only cost $13.99.  Got it off Amazon.  My review has just gone live.

• Like 1

I have had my iPad pro 9.7 for 2 days now and due to my poor connection (installing and set up is taking longer than I would like) and some unknown reasons... I have not been able to enjoy the iOS APP. When I launch the Accordance app I just the burgundy splash screen and a never ending rotating white gear. I let it sit that way for 5 minutes before deciding to cancel it. I have been busy installing other things but has anyone any ideas about this (I have gone to presences and kill previous session is set... I did try a restart..... I have not yet killed the app off and tried a fresh install because I have been letting my Olivetree resources download, and being on a slower connection all I can do is wait for them to download....

-Dan

Dan,

How did you get the iOS app onto your new iPad? Did you do a backup and restore or did you install from scratch?

Accordance was restored. As expected when I got to deleting it and downloading a fresh copy all went fine indeed I am currently downloading it couple key resources at this very moment. And later tonight I will be doing a proper sync.

Dan

That's what I suspected. There is a bug fix in the upcoming v2.3.2 that fixes a potential hang or crash on the first run of the iOS app after it has been restored. This is what you likely ran into.

• Like 1