Android App Update?

jdzinnel

There seems to be a group of users (albeit a small group) who is eagerly awaiting the release of an Accordance Android app. It has been made clear that such an app is in development, but nothing more has been said beyond this. Can we get at least a glimpse of when such a release will be? I'm not looking for a release date, I'm just wondering if it is worth waiting or if I should find an alternative for now. Should we expect it by the end of the year? Next year? Five years?

Edited by jdzinnel

We don't do vaporware. The work is progressing but until we see a beta version we cannot even begin to predict a release date.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm super excited to see Accordance come to Android. Not sure if you've done a poll but personally, I think you'll have a larger customer base than may be immediately apparent.

• Like 2

I'm super excited to see Accordance come to Android. Not sure if you've done a poll but personally, I think you'll have a larger customer base than may be immediately apparent.

I assume that the audience waiting for an Android version of Accordance Mobile is very significant since the Android user base is so much larger than iOS. Although it's roughly 50/50 in the US, it's more like 15 (iOS)/85 (Android) worldwide. All that to say, we know the numbers for Android are very large and we will be there as soon as possible!

• Like 4

Having had to change carriers I also had to change phones due to financial constraints so I am SUPER excited and anxious to see Accordance for the Android.

• 3 months later...

Can someone confirm this is still in development. I have transitioned to android and finding using my accordance only on PC tricky and would massively appreciate this app. I'm glad I ran a search as I didn't think this was in development and was about to look at moving to another program.

So still no ETA? And do you need a tester? I'd happily trial this and report bugs just to have use of it.

Thanks.

I have been long watching and waiting for this. As the months go by and add up, I am making some assumptions that could be very wrong... But posts semeed to be written in a way that would indicate an outside group or developer has been contracted to do this rather than in-house staff. Just a guess. But it also would seem that the group chosen is either too small to do the job, doesn't have the right resource allocations, or the priority given the project is lower than other things being worked on. I can understand that supporting existing paid customers on existing platforms is a priority, and perhaps it is yet unknown how much possible additional revenue could be generated by a new platform. However, I would argue that for a lot of current users, Mac and Windows users, they either presently or in the future may find the need to be on an android platform device, phone or tablet, and this really could be viewed as supporting them in their paid investment in the platform by allowing them to truly be platform independent.

We are well aware of the importance of getting the Android version out. We could not divert our entire development team to the project, but we do have an experienced developer working on it. There is a lot of code to rewrite for a totally new (to us) OS, so we cannot simply use the bulk of the main code as we did for both iOS and Windows. It's coming along nicely, but we aren't yet at the stage where we can release a beta or predict an actual release.

• Like 5

We are well aware of the importance of getting the Android version out. We could not divert our entire development team to the project, but we do have an experienced developer working on it. There is a lot of code to rewrite for a totally new (to us) OS, so we cannot simply use the bulk of the main code as we did for both iOS and Windows. It's coming along nicely, but we aren't yet at the stage where we can release a beta or predict an actual release.

Thank you Helen.  Im sure the developer is working hard on what would be a very big project.  I will be watching eagerly for this and reiterate I would happily be an alpha tester never mind beta!.  Transitioning from apple has mostly been a very positive experience however I find the laptop version of accordance really hard to use and the ios version really easy to use, so seeing this on android would be a massive help for me research wise.  If all it could do was read and search modules I would be thrilled!.

If all it could do was read and search modules I would be thrilled!.

That's what we told helen for the ios version. And we are never satisfied!!!!!

However, the interlinear is a game changer for me. Having got it after so long and missed it sooooooo much at conference discussions, i would not want to be without it again.

;o)

• Like 1

I'm also eagerly waiting the Android version and also agree that just the ability to read our modules would be amazing!

I can hardly wait to ditch my iPad and use my Samsung tablet and my phone for Accordance. The only reason I even have an iPad (mini) is Accordance. Just not fond of Apple's mobile devices at all.

• Like 1

My starting to feel like a fan boy... Not saying iOS products are perfect but have found them very well designed and higher quality than many Android products... But I wish all Droid users a speedy access to Accordance.

-dan

• Like 3

My starting to feel like a fan boy... Not saying iOS products are perfect but have found them very well designed and higher quality than many Android products... But I wish all Droid users a speedy access to Accordance.

-dan

I loved my iPad but had a look at android and bought a low cost galaxy tab 4 7 inch. It's dated and runs kit kat but I love it, the Samsung apps are really good and I really like the widgets and being able to place them where I like. Still like iPad don't get me wrong but the price and the fact the android system is more flexible means I'm likely to stick with Samsung for now (note Samsung not Google lol... The Samsung apps are far and above better than the Google ones).

• 1 month later...

Thank you, Accordance staff, for working on Accordance for Android devices. I'm happy to hear of this. If you need beta testers, let me know. I'd be happy to help as much as I can. 

• 2 weeks later...

What are the Accordance mobile apps like? My current bible app is next to useless in my church (saturated connection) and another I've visited often (for staff only) and many other places where a mobile app is useful for study since that app relies on a internet connection for its functionality. Will Accordance for Android allow me to study my bible anywhere, whether online or off? Mainly, I'm hoping it will allow me read my bible, lookup words from that bible in lexicon (BDAG, HALOT) or dictionary (IVP, NIDNTTE, NIDOTTE), pull up commentaries to that verse, etc. Simple contextual lookups while offline. I have a ton invested in another library but it's not useful to me when and where I need it. If the Accordance apps can or will do this in the near future on Android, I want to start building my library out, but I definitely want to make sure it will have that functionality before I start duplicating my investment. Will I be able to use these resources on Android?

Randy:  all of that is easy on our Apple Mobile app. I am sure we aim for that on Android, but the system is so different that we are having to write much of the code from scratch. We may decide to release it before it reaches full parity with the Apple app.

My advice: get an iPhone, you'll love it!

• Like 3

Randy:  all of that is easy on our Apple Mobile app. I am sure we aim for that on Android, but the system is so different that we are having to write much of the code from scratch. We may decide to release it before it reaches full parity with the Apple app.

I totally agree with Helen.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

Randy, the important thing is that all your resources you buy (and all the free ones we got with ios) are on your phone or tablet so the only time you need connection to internet is to download new modules. I use myphone in the congregation but tablet when leading the service. You may not have parity from day one but look what you get with some tagged translations, an original language and a commentary/study bible that has illustrations.

I virtually only use the tablet these days for accordance and only go to the main app when i need to do really intensive study where i need multiple resources open or am digging into analytics

The only thing you have to worry about is the storage size on your android device

;o)

Ps, i have downloaded most of the other bible study apps but deleted them all, usually after a few minutes use.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Hi Randy,

I had a Galaxy Tablet about a year ago, and I had the Logos app on it. But I switched to iOS bc I thought it was better for biblical studies.

While everything Helen said is true, except perhaps that you would love an iPhone, I would recommend an iOS device if you are also interested in any of the following:

Custom fonts: you can load any font in iOS, including any Unicode one.

Hebrew: I wasn't able to work with Hebrew like I can on my iPad. I use custom Hebrew fonts and even have a custom Hebrew keyboard.

Unicode: you can use any Unicode font in almost every productivity app – Pages, Mellel, Scrivener, Unicode Pad, Keyman, etc.

Productivity:  all deriving from the above.

So, for e.g. I can read in Acc and copy and paste original language texts into say Pages or Mellel, then into Scrivener, then copy to Dropbox, iCloud, etc., and continue on my desktop.

Regards,

Michel

I've had two iPhones both were terrible so I won't be purchasing another. I had to invest in Logos so I would have some resources on my Android phone. Still hoping we won't have to wait too long for the Android app.

Unless you like listening to music, in which case you have to have a chunky adaptor poking out of the end to use any sort of decent quality headphones.

• Like 1

The adapter is far from chunky.

I guess it depends on how big your pockets are yes? My phone already sticks out of my pockets, I don't need another 5cm poking up out of my pants. No my friend, I have certainly purchased my last ever iPhone.

Furthermore, you can't charge and listen to music at the same time. I assume this is not a problem unless you listen to music a lot? But you can always get this $60AU double adaptor :D

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/8/12852098/belkin-apple-iphone-7-plus-adapter-dongle-charge-music

Edited by Ιακοβ

Since I work at a desk most of the time I use a base that charges my iPhone and has an audio jack out that I plug my headphones into. So yes I can do both at the same time if I need to.