Android App Update?

jdzinnel

Randy:  all of that is easy on our Apple Mobile app. I am sure we aim for that on Android, but the system is so different that we are having to write much of the code from scratch. We may decide to release it before it reaches full parity with the Apple app.

My advice: get an iPhone, you'll love it!

Thanks, Helen and all who've answered. The mobile app does sound like it does exactly what I want and more. That is great news. An iPhone is not in the cards: I ordered a Pixel a few weeks ago and it's due this week, and I have a strong preference for Android. I might be convinced to pick up an iPad mini, however. I'm due for another tablet as mine is getting a bit old and slow; and 7-8" tablet is the form I prefer most for "casual" study. Again, though, I really have a strong pref for Android. Nothing against iOS, just a personal pref. Not sure which way I'll go yet. If the Android app were "coming soon" I know I'd wait--I may wait a bit and see and if I soon get impatient I'll pick up a iPad mini. But my most pressing question is answered; I now know the app will do what I need whether on iOS or Android. Thanks for the answers.

Hi Randy,

Just some thoughts that might help you decide on an iPad mini.

I also prefer Android to iOS, except in the area of productivity apps for biblical studies. But on the OS side, I'd have to say they are quite similar and iOS is easy to get used to. I'd recommend a mini as a very stable and powerful device. I've had absolutely no problems.

My advice would be to get a mini and enjoy all the features now. Then, by the time the Android app appears, all the bugs are ironed out, and its features are on par with the iOS app, you can switch back to Android. If the iOS app keeps developing at a rapid pace, it might be some time before the Android one catches up anyways.

I think it's becoming normal to have many different operating systems for different purposes. I myself have a Windows 10 Pro i7/x64 Dell Laptop, an x64 Asus Linux laptop, an OSX laptop, an iPad Mini, and BlackBerry phone, and I use them all.

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have the samsung 7 inch tablet Randy and it seems really good.  I would personally say avoid apple, I was a massive apple fan, it was through them I discovered accordance and bought my first packages on my Macbook.  However, since Jobs passed away the company has lost its grip on general reality.  I know people spoke of Steve's distortion reality field, however little things like the removal of headphone jacks, the new crippled MacBooks etc show that the company has got so wrapped up in its own pretense that its deteriorating and becoming unreliable for consumer productivity.

I find it insane that you can go into an apple shop and get a new Macbook and a new iphone and the two would not be able to sync together without an adaptor.

Just my view through :)

I may have said it already in this thread....really looking forward to the new android app.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the latest Apple products.

• Like 2

Sorry but I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the latest Apple products.

+1

Latest in 5 year all are happy that NO adapter will ever be used again. How we say in the German part of Gods world: "Better an end with a catastrophe, than a catastrophe without  an end!". A pain for decades comes to an end.

I dream: I would love had seen that my ex-Amiga computer would have only one sort of connectors and I would be able to play Monkey Island on a bigger screen. With a larger HD than 20MB etc. But the Amiga has passed and we look now to the future.

Atari, Amiga, PC, Mac, Ti, Commodore, igadgets etc. everyone had his own connectors. Thank God this nightmare comes to an end.

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 2

Hi Fabian
In Zurich there is a vintage computer exhibition in the red fabric. Rote Fabrik. I will go there to reminiscent of the old days...

Bye

Sacha

• Like 1

Who needs an exhibition. most of us probably still all have 'old' tech stuck in a drawer (old being relative). I still have my first bbc with a pascal chip for programming.

;o)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro

Much as i dont like where apple is going (i got a mbp before they changed them), im not sure i would go back to android. My first phone was android but i couldnt get software upgrades from my phone contract supplier.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

Much as i dont like where apple is going (i got a mbp before they changed them), im not sure i would go back to android. My first phone was android but i couldnt get software upgrades from my phone contract supplier.

Security update availability has always been the main reason to stop me even considering Android as an alternative for an iPhone, now that we have this unfortunate "no headphone socket" situation, I have been forced to look at Android more closely. It seems that if you buy your phone direct from google (i.e. the google pixel) then you do get updates direct from google. So the security situation seems greatly improved as long as you bypass the phone companies.

if you buy your phone direct from google 

And Google knows all. Also with the Google Apps of the Chrombook. For me also a nightmare. I didn't use Dropbox, or iCloud for the same reason.

I use https://www.ixquick.comfrom Netherland as search engine. 

iMessage from Apple

Swiss secure:

https://www.incamail.com to send encrypted emails.

for encrypted file transfers http://www.wesendit.info

https://threema.ch/en an end-to-end encrypted messenger

I don't use Facebook or WhatsApp, Insta.. etc. I also don't like people who has a me in their contacts and use an Android system, WhatsApp. Because I don't want to be in a shadow profile only while this person and that person has me in the contacts. 

Edited by Fabian

And Google knows all. Also with the Google Apps of the Chrombook. For me also a nightmare. I didn't use Dropbox, or iCloud for the same reason.

Oh? I was under the impression that as long as you avoid all of the Google Android apps your data is reasonably separated from Googles servers? (i.e. Use your own mail app with your own mail provider, your own calendar app not syncing with google, etc) Is that not true?

Oh? I was under the impression that as long as you avoid all of the Google Android apps your data is reasonably separated from Googles servers? (i.e. Use your own mail app with your own mail provider, your own calendar app not syncing with google, etc) Is that not true?

They don't know for example what you have in the messages, but they make shadow profiles of you in the way who is connected. And as you are like your "friends" they know also  a lot from you. 

I've opted for what I think is the best. A Google Nexus or Pixel phone, and an Apple iPad for running Accordance.

Yes, as the owner of very many Accordance modules, I'd love an Android app. But you what I'd love more? Feature parity in the iOS app vs Mac Accordance.

Hi, i used to have that mix with a very early htc phone but quickly changed. i dont think we will ever get parity and im not worried.

If you want parity on a tablet, then i think you need something that runs a full os like the surface pro.

Wish apple had given the ipad pro a full os, perhaps one day...

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Great news for Android fans: attendees of SBL/AAR can stop by the booth and see a running demo of Accordance Mobile running on an Android tablet!

• Like 8

Any chance of a video for those of us only able to drool from a distance Mark ?

• Like 3

Great news for Android fans: attendees of SBL/AAR can stop by the booth and see a running demo of Accordance Mobile running on an Android tablet!

Now I AM jealous and wish I was in San Antonio with all the folks.

• Like 2

I have the samsung 7 inch tablet Randy and it seems really good.  I would personally say avoid apple, I was a massive apple fan, it was through them I discovered accordance and bought my first packages on my Macbook.  However, since Jobs passed away the company has lost its grip on general reality.  I know people spoke of Steve's distortion reality field, however little things like the removal of headphone jacks, the new crippled MacBooks etc show that the company has got so wrapped up in its own pretense that its deteriorating and becoming unreliable for consumer productivity.

I find it insane that you can go into an apple shop and get a new Macbook and a new iphone and the two would not be able to sync together without an adaptor.

Just my view through :)

I may have said it already in this thread....really looking forward to the new android app.

Scott – We, like you, have been very happy with our Apple products.  We've owned Apple machines since the early 80's, and our first new Apple, a IIe, is in the basement and still boots up.  In all those years, we have not had a single device fail – not a desktop, laptop, or mobile device.  Worst thing that happened was having a HD quit on a Wall Street PowerBook that we bought used.  Easily replaced.  We went from 4GB to 20GB – Wow!

As far a connectivity goes, it is only the MacBook that lacks ports.  It is a very lightweight, trim machine – perfect for some.  Not my first choice.  The new 13" Pro with TouchBar, however, has 4 Thunderbolt ports.  That is the machine I hope to buy a couple of years from now.  As it is, I still remain completely satisfied with my MacBook Air.  I've had it go on battery for more than 13 hours.  Boots up fast.  Runs Accordance like a dream.

We bought new 9.7" iPad Pros in the spring (2016).  We both love the Touch ID.  We both use the Bibles on our iPads in church.  

And we don't think quality or design have taken a hit since the death of Steve Jobs.

By the way, the little bit of Apple stock we have has done very well, also.

The Apple/non-Apple debate has been going on since there have been Apples and non-Apples.  I don't expect that to change.  I'm grateful we have optionsBut I will admit that my husband and I both rejoiced when his PC exited our home when he retired and he didn't have to use the miserable thing anymore.  

As I know Accordance doesn't do vaporware, I wonder if this means that the Android app will be available soon?

One can only hope it will be available soon!

As I know Accordance doesn't do vaporware, I wonder if this means that the Android app will be available soon?

This is pure speculation but if Accordance is showing it off at the conference I would guess it is a late alpha, hopefully they are almost ready to beta test it publicly  (indeed internal beta testing may already have been done) and then who knows Android users might have a great Christmas gift (PLEASE NOTE no insider info, pure speculation and hope for Android users). In any event with a app they feel comfortable in showing off we know things are getting closer...

-Dan

Well, if it isn't ready for general release, I hope they will have an open beta so as many people as possible can use it and stomp out the bugs. That way, a relatively bug free release version can emerge quickly.

• Like 1

Dan, i notice you very wisely didnt specify a year!

'and then who knows Android users might have a great Christmas gift'

Lol hoped for this one but I will be bold and say Accordance will have released the android version by December 25 2020.

Lol

Dan

PS: Cyborg version to be released following year. Cyborg being a future OS on some future platform lol

Lol hoped for this one but I will be bold and say Accordance will have released the android version by December 25 2020.

Lol

Dan

PS: Cyborg version to be released following year. Cyborg being a future is on some future platform lol

Edited by Daniel Francis

Well, if it isn't ready for general release, I hope they will have an open beta so as many people as possible can use it and stomp out the bugs. That way, a relatively bug free release version can emerge quickly.

Sign me up for that beta test!

Question. Do you think accordance will give the android app version numbers or names? And if names, based on what????

;o)