Verse search on Bible

John Fidel

I have been trying to find out why a verse search would ever be used on a bible instead of using the go to box? I could understand if your subsequent word searches were limited to the verses initially searched, but this is not the case. I know there are probably several good reasons, but they have been elusive to me.

Thanks,

John Fidel

The intention was to allow users to pull up one verse, one passage, or a string of references that they want to see, to study, or to print.

You can use that set of verses as the basis of a search in another window using the CONTENTS command, but now that we have the RANGE command it is probably easier to use that in the same window.

John,

It's the string of verses Helen mentioned which is key to the usefulness of verse searching. If I want to see just the following verses:

Exodus 12:1; Leviticus 10:8; 11:1; 13:1; 15:1; Numbers 2:1; 4:1, 17; 18:1; 19:1; 20:12

...I would enter them in the Search window as a verse search so that I can see each verse without its surounding context. There are some Bible programs which don't allow for an easy way to do this, but force you to view verses in the context of the whole Bible. In Accordance, if you want to view a single verse in context, use the Go To Box, but if you want to view a specific series of verses, do a verse search.

Thank you both. Do you think it would be a good idea to be able to create a search on the selected verses only? How about a quick way to create a range for future searches. There may be ways to do this currently, that I am not aware of. Perhaps I need to review how the contents command works.

Thanks again.

John Fidel

The CONTENTS command simply requires you to have another window open displaying either a word or verse search. In the new window you enter [CONTENTS ?] and replace the question mark with the name of the other window (Accordance does this for you). Add any search criteria (usually with an command), and click OK. For example, [CONTENTS KJV] king would find king only in the verses displayed in the window titled KJV. When you change the search in the KJV window, the new window updates automatically.

The RANGE command simply requires you to enter [RANGE ?] and replace the question mark with the desired verse references. For example, [RANGE 1ki 20-22] king would find king only in those verses.

Archived