Custom Prayer Lists and Custom Reading Plans

Jordan Gowing

One deficiency in Accordance software is the inability to create a prayer list with reminders to pray each day. Same goes for custom Bible reading plans. I would love for these more "devotional" aspects to be integrated into Accordance.

I realize that there could be workarounds with User Tools, but that's a stopgap solution, not a permanent one. Please consider adding this functionality in the future.

Jordan –

I created a User Tool that I have been using  since 2011.

Here's what the 'blank' looks like.  As the end of a year approaches, I start filling the first week in.  I replace the 20xx with 2016, or 2017, etc., and save it under that name.

post-330-0-17206700-1460577512_thumb.jpg

Here I've added some fake requests to the 2016 Journal (my list is private).  Between the top line and the short line are the requests that are repeated on Saturdays.  Between the short line and the bottom line are the requests that are repeated every other day.  Anything that needs daily prayer would be on both lists.  Some requests are MWF.  This way it is easy to go from a daily need (like someone's surgery & early weeks of recovery) to every other day (as the person makes progress the need is less urgent).  I also keep track of what I read in my Bible each day.  It is easily edited.

post-330-0-74170900-1460577758_thumb.jpg

Julie, I appreciate the response, and I actually saw that you had mentioned this in a previous thread from a few years ago. What I'm hoping for is something that can incorporate reminders for specific days (i.e., to be faithfully and continually in prayer for my congregation, I schedule each member for a different part of the week).

Perhaps I should just accept the fact that I will have to create a User Tool or just go to another program such as Evernote that has basic reminder functionality built in.

Thanks for the input!

Jordan, have you tried 'Prayermate', its a free app and it keeps regular track of people on your list and you can even add verses to meditate or pray into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2UCcjs1kV8

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/prayermate-christian-prayer/id434815549?mt=8

Highly recommended.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

I second the recommendation of PrayerMate.  It does the things you are talking for.  I have our entire congregation in it, along with Scriptures, missionaries, temporary prayer requests, family members, etc.  It keeps up with all of it and shuffles the list as I have pre-determined.  I have recommended it to others Pastors and they have commented how helpful it has been.

In Christ,

Bret

• Like 1

Thank You Paul for the suggestion... To me this feels ideal. Accordance is a product to study God's word and this is most important to prayer, but an external APP like this feels like a better solution. I know of another program that try to have integrative prayer lists and I have found it less than helpful. I am not saying Accordance could not do it and do it well, but it moves it away in my mind from the core function of Accordance, I believe I would rather have this program which I am installing right away and accordance open in a secondary window to use the Bible and prayer list together.

-Dan

• Like 2

Thanks for the PrayerMate recommendations, everyone. I have used it for the past year or so, and it has been wonderful for my personal prayer life. Right or wrong, I've been trying to keep my "pastoral prayer list" separate from my personal prayer list, so that's why I wrote the suggestion here (where it would be much more natural for me, at least that was what I was thinking).

Dan, I appreciate your comments, as I was thinking of the functionality of other software regarding this request. Perhaps my ideas for implementation are untenable for Accordance/distract away from the primary focus.

Thanks everyone!

Thank You Paul for the suggestion... To me this feels ideal. Accordance is a product to study God's word and this is most important to prayer, but an external APP like this feels like a better solution. I know of another program that try to have integrative prayer lists and I have found it less than helpful. I am not saying Accordance could not do it and do it well, but it moves it away in my mind from the core function of Accordance, I believe I would rather have this program which I am installing right away and accordance open in a secondary window to use the Bible and prayer list together.

-Dan

This makes sense to me.

It's like hammer and screwdriver.

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hmm, I think I'm going to try the User Tool thing. I've been using google docs for a while, but I love having all my prayer lists right here where I do my study. Thanks for the tip Julia!