Remove the defined search range size limit

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

Acc 11

Mac 10.11.3

I was entering a large detailed range and got this :

post-32023-0-32442100-1461428960_thumb.jpg

It would be great if this restriction could be removed or at least greatly eased.

In addition be very helpful to have a resizable window for entry of large range, so that it is easier to see what one is doing.

Thx

D

The workaround to the limit (which would not be easy to change) is to create and save a Reference List tab and add to it all the verses you want. You can then search it from a separate tab using the CONTENTS command.

• Like 1

Hi Helen,

I'm surprised to hear the limit is hard to change though I guess it's there for a reason so perhaps that's the issue.

Reference list is a bit more awkward to use but I'll bear it in mind. For now I've managed to combine a few verse refs and get it down from 518 to 510, so in this case I got away with it. I have a bunch of others to create but hopefully none so big.

Thx
D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Helen,

I've run into a snag with this workaround of using the reference list tab.

If I am doing a grammatical search I need the search scope set to Chapter. If I add <AND> [CONTENTS RefList] I get told that the scope must verse. Setting it to verse it gets reset to Chapter, due to the syntax and then shows the first message. I don't currently know a way around this.

Any further suggestions ? A couple of enhancements I've submitted, including this one, would make it possible, though this one hierarchical ranges and lists of user defined ranges in range command would be best. But apart from new code/features is there any way to do this ?

Thx

D

I think it might be very difficult to change the requirement that CONTENTS, STILE, and TOPIC be used only with a Verse scope, since each of these is actually providing a list of verses to the search in the tab.

Hmmm.... ok so defined ranges and verse ranges from these commands are not treated in exactly the same way it would seem. For example if I define a range for Gen 8 and define a Reference List for it and try each as a way to constrain a syntax search, the defined range works but the ref list hits the issue above.

So the bottom line right now would appear to be that one must bust up the searches by individual defined range (which is within the size limit) with each syntax search that one wants and then aggregate the results. It's a bit awkward but will work.

Thx

D

• Like 1