Not Knowing What Commentary is Available -- some fix for this

Enoch

Is there some fix possible for bringing up the vast number of commentaries one has bought when studying a passage?  I find that after I bring up the first commentary, an obstacle in accessing the rest without wasting a lot of time.  I have a long list of commentaries that come up from my library; but in many cases the commentary has no comment on the particular book I am studying.  I just was looking at Expositor's on a passage.  Then I tried to bring up Expositor's Notes on the same verse, but nothing came up.  Frequently when I try to bring up the next commentary, either nothing has come up, or the wrong book has come up, for the reason that the commentary set is missing a commentary on the particular book.

I am thinking that it would be a great help if the list brought up after triple keying on a verse, had the commentaries which do not comment on the book greyed out.  The system might still work the same, but the grey out would tell you that you won't get a comment by clicking on that commentary or commentary set.

The Info Pane was designed to show you all your commentaries that have information on the passage you're looking at. Also, if you already have a commentary open in a pane, Control-Shift-+ or Control-Shift-(minus) will cycle through all your commentaries.

• Like 3

The Info Pane was designed to show you all your commentaries that have information on the passage you're looking at. Also, if you already have a commentary open in a pane, Control-Shift-+ or Control-Shift-(minus) will cycle through all your commentaries.

Thanks for the response.  So I went & looked thru all the tool bar menus at the top of Accordance & none of them has any "Info Pane."  So I went to Accordance "help" and put in "Info Pane."  Then I got some directions & went to the Accordance workspace.  I poked around & eventually found "Info Pane" at the top of the pop-down Parallels.  So I clicked on "Info Pane" & only 5 commentaries showed up.  I was on Genesis 1:1 & noticed that Keil & Delitsch was missing.  So I don't have any confidence that all my commentaries are showing there; in fact I think that only a fraction of my commentaries appeared.    I read somewhere that one can set the number of commentaries to display; so perhaps it is limited to 5??? unless I change it somehow.  I tried to find how to change that number & clicked in help on what I thought would go there, but I saw nothing helpful where I went.

Surely the Rocket Scientists at Accordance can make this less of an Info Pain -- LOL.    I am still thinking how nice it would be if

if the list brought up after triple keying on a verse, had the commentaries which do not comment on the book greyed out.  The system might still work the same, but the grey out would tell you that you won't get a comment by clicking on that commentary or commentary set.

I tried your ^shift+ method -- thanks for telling me about it.  However, that seems to bring up commentaries which don't comment on the passage, methinks commentary sets that don't cover the book?  & a ton of non-commentaries, in the strict sense; footnotes from versions come up also, & I don't know what all else.   Of course technically speaking, footnotes are commentaries.  At least you can move thru e books quickly that way.

Edited by Enoch

Enoch,

My guess is that your settings are such that 5 commentaries  will display on the initial opening of the Info Pane. At the bottom of those displayed commentaries, there are probably "+" and "–" buttons that you can use to either increase or decrease the number of commentaries displayed. If you would like for more of them to open initially, the setting can be changed in the "Set Info Pane Display" setting (Mac help here; Windows help here).

Enoch, as mentioned, the Info Pane was created to do precisely what you are wanting to do, but you may have to adjust its settings a bit as has been suggested above. Also, arranging your commentaries in your Library Commentary folder can make a difference as the priority for commentaries showing up in your Info Pane will depend on your arrangement. 

So, for example, In my Info Pane, I've got it set to show 10 commentaries at a time. If you look at my Library, you'll see that the IVP OT Background Commentary and ZIBBCOT show up for Gen 1:1, but their NT equivalents do not. The Info Pane skips any commentary that does not cover the verse that's at the top of the window. Notice also that Keil & Delitzsch shows up in my commentaries because I've ranked it high enough in the list. By placing my mouse over the Keil & Delitzsch cover, I see an excerpt in the Instant Details. I've also moved the NET Bible Notes into the Commentary folder and moved it near the top of the list because I often consult them to get a quick overview of textual issues.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 11.15.46 AM.png

Here's another way to get at what you're wanting to do. In the Research drop down, select Scripture and Commentaries. Enter =Gen 1:1 in the box. The equals sign will give you only commentaries that specifically comment on Genesis 1:1 and not everything that would include Genesis 1:1 such as any mention of Genesis 1 or even all of Genesis as a whole. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 11.10.54 AM.png

Here are the results of that search. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 11.23.55 AM.png

When you move your mouse over each result, you will get "More" and "Open" options. Click on "More" to get a larger excerpt. Click on "Open" to open that title from your Accordance Library.

• Like 6

Great post Rick! I love the research tool and was completely unaware of the = trick!

• Like 1

Maybe I missed, but is there a keyboard shortcut for the Info Pane?

Thanks!

Enoch, as mentioned, the Info Pane was created to do precisely what you are wanting to do, but you may have to adjust its settings a bit as has been suggested above. Also, arranging your commentaries in your Library Commentary folder can make a difference as the priority for commentaries showing up in your Info Pane will depend on your arrangement. 

So, for example, In my Info Pane, I've got it set to show 10 commentaries at a time. If you look at my Library, you'll see that the IVP OT Background Commentary and ZIBBCOT show up for Gen 1:1, but their NT equivalents do not. The Info Pane skips any commentary that does not cover the verse that's at the top of the window. Notice also that Keil & Delitzsch shows up in my commentaries because I've ranked it high enough in the list. By placing my mouse over the Keil & Delitzsch cover, I see an excerpt in the Instant Details. I've also moved the NET Bible Notes into the Commentary folder and moved it near the top of the list because I often consult them to get a quick overview of textual issues.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-04-29 at 11.15.46 AM.png

Here's another way to get at what you're wanting to do. In the Research drop down, select Scripture and Commentaries. Enter =Gen 1:1 in the box. The equals sign will give you only commentaries that specifically comment on Genesis 1:1 and not everything that would include Genesis 1:1 such as any mention of Genesis 1 or even all of Genesis as a whole. 

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-04-29 at 11.10.54 AM.png

Here are the results of that search. 

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-04-29 at 11.23.55 AM.png

When you move your mouse over each result, you will get "More" and "Open" options. Click on "More" to get a larger excerpt. Click on "Open" to open that title from your Accordance Library.

Thanks; I see I have some work to do (groan).  I do have my commentaries arranged in importance, but I have separate folders for commentaries on the whole Bible (sets & 1 volume commentaries), OT commentaries, NT commentaries, & Commentaries on individual books.  K & D is a go to commentary for me on the OT. 

+1 Info Pane keyboard shortcut

if it was in the menu bar somewhere, users could create their own.

Thanks!