Learn to read NA28 footnotes (apparatus)

Ιακοβ

What is the best way to learn to read these properly. I realise part of it will be needing to learn about the documents behind each of the symbols, but its not just that, because sometimes the footnotes contain special symbols which I also don't understand? 

Thanks!

Hi Jacob, if you use instant details, or click on them, it will take you to an explanation of the symbols. Maybe I should come to Ridley and do a critical studies session for the Acc users (all 3 of you... ;-) )

• Like 1

Jacob, have you already tried using this NA28 resource? Alternatively, the introductory material and key at the beginning of the NA28 is actually pretty good, if you've got the time to tarry with it.

• Like 2

Just read the introduction. It covers everything, and then the instant details remind you as you hover.

I'll dig up and read the introduction.

With regards to the mouseovers. If you mouseover the symbol in the greek text, I didn't realise that you could double click on that symbol to get a new window with each of the document numbers/codes and so on. However when you do this and mouseover one of the codes or symbols, you get another popup help that has almost as confusing symbols, although more understandable than the first popup (:

Thanks!

Hi Jacob, if you use instant details, or click on them, it will take you to an explanation of the symbols. Maybe I should come to Ridley and do a critical studies session for the Acc users (all 3 of you... ;-) )

Wow, there are three of us? If I knew who they were we could probably team up and make our lives a bit easier. (Lately it seems that Ridley has been in the process of taking down PDF's and scans of online resources for each subject and replacing them with Logos links, even for on campus subjects where Logos is not mandatory. 

I had been going through and making a list of equivalent Accordance links (to the correct paragraph in the module corresponding to logos) for each week of material for some subjects, but I stopped, as it was apparently only useful for me.

post-33292-0-82919800-1461818022_thumb.png

Edited by Ιακοβ

Wow, there are three of us? If I knew who they were we could probably team up and make our lives a bit easier. (Lately it seems that Ridley has been in the process of taking down PDF's and scans of online resources for each subject and replacing them with Logos links, even for on campus subjects where Logos is not mandatory. 

I had been going through and making a list of equivalent Accordance links (to the correct paragraph in the module corresponding to logos) for each week of material for some subjects, but I stopped, as it was apparently only useful for me.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-04-28 at 2.20.45 PM.png

Last I heard, Anthea McCall was an accordance user, and I know graham Stanton is. Last time we ran a seminar there we had about 25 ppl turn up

Back on the original issue, do you have to use NA-28? UB S5 is way simpler to understand and in some ways better imho.

• Like 1

Last I heard, Anthea McCall was an accordance user, and I know graham Stanton is. Last time we ran a seminar there we had about 25 ppl turn up

Oh,  but Anthea is staff. If I had to guess, I would guess that the only people at Ridley that would use Accordance, would be those that already owned Accordance prior to coming to Ridley. 

Back on the original issue, do you have to use NA-28? UB S5 is way simpler to understand and in some ways better imho.

I have NA2x in Accordance, but not UBSx. I think thats because NA2x came with an accordance package. (Given they are essentially the same, I assume people don't usually buy both.)

I have to say, the apparatus tools and some dictionaries feel like one needs a secret decoder ring to understand what they are trying to say. Yes I can click on some symbols to get it, but definitely not the most user friendly things in the world.

It seems like they are like UNIX man pages, helpful once you already know what you're doing.

All said, I'm mostly there now in grokking it all, so it's a sunk cost from my POV, but we could make it more accesible for newbies.

• Like 1

The Apparatus is copyright to the German Bible Society. We have no way to make it more user-friendly than we already have with the links and Instant Details. There is a Guide to the NA28 and another to the BHS which should be helpful. The UBS Apparatus is a much simpler, too.

• Like 1

Oh,  but Anthea is staff. If I had to guess, I would guess that the only people at Ridley that would use Accordance, would be those that already owned Accordance prior to coming to Ridley. 

I have NA2x in Accordance, but not UBSx. I think thats because NA2x came with an accordance package. (Given they are essentially the same, I assume people don't usually buy both.)

My suggestion? Get UBS5 - you will use that. NA28 will likely become something you rarely consult. It is more arcane. There is a reason why many seminaries choose UBS5 over NA28 even though NA28 has the reputation of being more scholarly.

• Like 1

Jacob, have you already tried using this NA28 resource? Alternatively, the introductory material and key at the beginning of the NA28 is actually pretty good, if you've got the time to tarry with it.

Didn't know about that one. Good link!

• Like 1

One alternative to the NA28 apparatus would be the UBS apparatus, which is different and perhaps easier to understand.

(ass recommended by Ken above, now that I read his post)

Edited by Alistair

I disagree. I prefer that. With your German surname you can certainly read in german too ;) 

Greetings

Fabian

I disagree. I prefer that. With your German surname you can certainly read in german too ;)

Greetings

Fabian

No luck: I married in to my German name.