lesterchua

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:58 PM

I’ll like say that when I first tried out Logos for the first time, I opened Logos and hit the store page selling stuff.

But when I opened Accordance I was greeted with God’s Word in Genesis.

I decided then and there that Accordance was for me. Because these brothers and sisters here love the Word of God and it shows!
  • Mark Allison, R. Mansfield, jarcher and 7 others like this

#22 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,285 posts
  • Interests:a great cup of coffee, sci-fi, jazz and the blues, kayaking, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 18 September 2018 - 09:22 AM

Thank you, Lester, thank means a great deal to us.

One of Accordance's guiding principles is that the Bible is always front and central. Everything else is secondary.

• jarcher, dandennison and lesterchua like this
Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer
Academic Licensing Assistant

iMac: Late 2014 27" 5k display, 4.0 GHz quad core i7, 24 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, macOS Sierra 10.13
MBP: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz quad core i7, 16 GB RAM, 480 SSD + 1 TB SSD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, macOS Sierra 10.13
iPhone 7 plus: 128 GB, iOS 11.x

#23 A. Smith

A. Smith

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:28 AM

Software is a business. Christian. Bible. Or otherwise. It just is. But Accordance does a good job of putting that behind the scenes letting the product you actually have speak for itself. If it works, you'll buy more. It's a good philosophy. I use the other guys when I have to, but Accordance is my daily companion. 

• R. Mansfield and Daniel Francis like this

Anthony Smith
First Church of Christ

Atlantic, IA

For potential diagnostic purposes:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

2.6 i7, 16GB ram

iPad Pro, 10.5", 256GB

iPhone 7, 256GB

#24 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.

Posted 18 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

For me both are daily companions but Accordance is quicker and I had no need to prune it of advertising as was needed in the Faithlife home page screen.

-dan

• R. Mansfield and Timothy Jenney like this

#25 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Twitter:mcyklist
  • Location:EU. Inter/multidisciplinary humanities such as History of Ideas, Ethics for divorced men; singing; both Reformed and Catholic simultaneously
  • Interests:On laptops been sticking to 11.2.5 - uses slightly less battery than 12 and can load all my purchases. 11 had a great Info Pane, partial download of Collections had already become possible, settings-menus for text preferences, library sorting, Research. I have a few extra Accordance 12.3.4 (and for Accordance Android 1.4.3 which is GREAT, and it is also for Accordance iPad 3.x) licenses to gift
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 06 March 2019 - 08:00 PM

I don't recommend owning another platform just for a few commentaries (whether sets or individual volumes). And I wouldn't say things are never coming to Accordance. The alternative would actually be premature releases then having to rework entire sets to new standards (which has happened extremely rarely for Accordance compared to how highly frequently Faithlife had to and still has to continually - they have their entire old catalogue as backlog for some implementations to get done). Also I would add to that notion - which is visible in their extra step of pre-pub: The competitor doesn't embrace a culture of serving and providing by taking some risk but is instead now heavy on their core group lay Evangelicals that want unquestionable answers and don't need sophisticated parameters at their hands - they have made a simplified introductory step deal which is lacking in every regard that I see as essential for even having any Bible Software in the first place. But over there the step to going to see for Yourself if things are so, is more huge than ever, still both cumbersome and expensive to get introduced to, over there. They are screaming to an audience that is actually more fitting for Accordance's customer base expansion than their's.
They have to desperately maximise profits as their programming costs are raking sky-high, they take that out on their paying customer
base. The fifth time they programmed everything anew from scratch: Version 2, Version 3 (Libronix), Version 4, Version 8, and now if not everything as they're desperately trying to implement selective download (which I had assumed never will come and is what their lead programmer also said, and to which btw I'm not gonna update).

ALL should also read or re-read this whole thread from 2017: https://www.accordan...e-software-inc/
:

There are things I still do in Logos and probably always will (because I know how in that platform and don't know how to or it's not available in Accordance). Also, I have some commentaries in Logos that will probably never be in Accordance (and that's fine with me). I'm glad Logos is available, and I'm glad I can make use of it.

However, the two main non-functional differences I see are the following. I'm not talking about what one program can do and the other can't or vice versa. These major non-functional differences are (1) the overall philosophy of the company [which I would describe as "earn a reasonable reward for your labor" {Accordance} vs. "maximize profits" {Logos}] and the (2) manner and corporate culture with which customers are served. Accordance's staff does very, very well. Thank you, Oak Tree / Accordance!

I don't have the Navarra Bible (I have the much smaller Edition so a hunch about what it is having also read a few product pages) nor CCSS (just one print volume). The latter is much too unscholarly for my uses. The Navarra Bible I would definitely not get unless it would come under Accordance. Well getting in for Latin at this point in History under competitors, would cost horrendously much - not recommended. Also the competitor doesn't carry additional Study Biblesnor has there been any progress at all towards carrying. Accordance's newly introduced NOAB 5th Edition is as fine replacement!: https://www.accordan...tails/?pid=NOAB I would not say there really exists a level with the competitor on which to settle - for getting high end content. On the whole, getting high-end with them is uncertain, they aren't really trying as hard as it might seem that they do, they really don't and they have implemented features asked for for a very long time only just now (reading plans):

I do not know what catholic items Accordance may have in the pipeline. They have for years offered the Navarra translation which is a spanish study Bible from the same institution. The catholic offerings over at FL in there Verbum department are more robust without doubt, and indeed the lack of original language support in the deuterocanonical books in Accordance is more than a little disappointing. That said Accordance offers several important Roman Catholic works and while I use the Navarre Bible occasionally (couple times week) I find it highly overrated (just my opinion). If  we compare two very small sections of the CCSS (which Accordance offers) and NB, I do not think one would feel hard done by with the CCSS other than it is NT only.

[…]

PPS: I am not trying to dissuade you from Verbum as I use it ever day just wanted to state Accordance is not a bad choice for Catholics either.

I agree about their integrity, it's stellar. At the competitor they drop their face when announcing (or just telling Sales) about using another platform more with more contentment.
I don't need a multitude of translations in any language even though I'm oriented towards a number of languages. I'd perhaps want Farsi and Turkish.
I agree, students pick up the use of Accordance's UI. Which I can't say as much about the other platforms. I've given this weight for 3½ Years. Only this ongoing academic Year have I started to notice first-Year seminarians have an awareness of Faithlife, Accordance was more well known previously among them. Which says a lot about how FL only imagined they were tapping their imagined market.
The way Accordance has assembled base sets of four strands (English, both Biblical languages and Graphic database) is unparalleled. It could not have been done many other ways!
Truly Accordance works on both Windows and Mac while having unmatched tools, the only platform with this combination and parity of speed!
:

I will not speak ill of other Bible software companies, and I can confirm the integrity of the Accordance folks. […] BW also has a policy of including as many Bible versions as they economically possible can. That's why they include 46 English versions alone in their base package which is similar in pricing to a parallel Accordance package. I use Accordance, BW, and Logos, and each has a purpose for me. Logos does some things that the others can't, but it is expensive. BibleWorks is easiest for me to do quick textual work, but I am familiar with its challenging-to-some interface. This year I switched and have required Accordance. They have a good pricing policy for educational orders, the interface is easier for students to pick up than BW, it has better cross-platform support, and it includes most of what I want my students to have without getting a bunch of unhelpful stuff.

If You compare Verbum with Accordance, it becomes obvious both from the software architecture and the list of added datasets, that it (Verbum) is like what the term the user who has had Accordance for the longest time is sort of blaming Accordance for, if You look at Verbum this ongoing Winter: https://www.accordan...-type/?p=116395

I another thread (emphasis mine in the quote from it below)https://www.accordan...tware/?p=105518
That's a good point! I had not even kept in mind how limiting MS Word and Excel truly are!:

I mentioned the other day in another thread that I see tabs in Safari for iOS as well as GoodReader. The ones in GoodReader are not very "good" (pun intended), and I assume they are homegrown. I notice that even programs like MS Word or Excel (or the Apple equivalent of Pages and Numbers) for iOS only allow ONE document to be open at once. That's pretty frustrating when you need to put content side by side; yes, there are ways around it, but no one likes having to do that. Just like you can put two Bible applications side by side on an iPad Pro to accommodate four panes at a time (I've done it!), but we really don't want to have to do that. But if you compare Accordance Mobile to MS Word or Excel, at least we don't limit you to one title in your Accordance library! In fact, with popup Instant Details and User Note editing, we've essentially allowed for three panes, if but for limited instances.

Yet another thread, in which I also link at the end to the thread by R. Mansfield -- where his greatest blog post is linked: https://www.accordan...sen-to-the-top/

In another thread:

I have been following this thread with interest.

It's always helpful to know how our customers perceive us. We appreciate your compliments and learn from your criticisms. It's not surprising to me that some prefer one program, others another, still others use both (if for different tasks).

By way of help, let me offer this list for evaluating Bible software programs in general:

1. Search engine performance (stability, speed, precision, features, platforms supported)

2. Price (initial and upgrades)

3. Resources available for purchase (quality, number, ease of use, cost, accuracy, support for a specific area of interest)

4. Training (quality, availability, cost)

5. Support (responsiveness, effectiveness, overall attitude)

6. Community (Is it friendly? Helpful? Active? Enthusiastic?)

Reply: There are differences in each regard between platforms and the most typical is for those starting out to deny or not realise that. I would add that selective downloads of Collections/base-packages is also a must as well as the quality of the Info Pane!

EDIT at :41: Small additions and typo fixes
EDIT at :55: corrected more typos I found

Edited by Unix, 06 March 2019 - 08:55 PM.

• Daniel Francis likes this

#26 dandennison

dandennison

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Interests:The Master's Seminary

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:22 PM

Want to second the OP's comments about speed. Languages brought me to Accordance, and fast keeps me on Accordance.

#27 Jesse D

Jesse D

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Currently, I am interested in what makes up man according to the bible. I have a fairly robust understanding of man according to personality by way of Typology. I also have a passion for heavy Christian music such as Demon Hunter. God is good.

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:04 AM

Thank you all for your enthusiasm and kind comments. You make our work worthwhile. And, yes, we have a company policy about not commenting on other Bible software programs. We try to put all our energy into making Accordance the best Bible software program we can.

That is a REALLY admirable trait in a company, especially in technology. Don't get me started on Nvidia.

New music I am interested in:

https://youtu.be/Y-ZiJmDOk2c - Matisyahu, Produces Reggae and Pop music as a practicing Jew. His song "One Day" talks about peace between the world at large

https://youtu.be/44S6vBveKZQ - Demon Hunter, Traditional Christian Metal/Rock band who just came out with 2 very successful albums, separately, titled 'War' & 'Peace'

https://youtu.be/R7REkjcwM_8- POD (Payable On Death), Positive Nu-Metal/Rock/Reggae band that gained popularity when they came out with "Alive" and "Youth of the Nation" off the album 'Satellite' which released 9/11/2001

https://youtu.be/Bz-g2tucn24- Project 86, Post-Hardcore Christian band. Andrew Schwab, the front man of the band runs a podcast (which I support through Patreon) dedicated to helping other creatives find their voice.

See my YouTube channel, and it's purpose! I am pretty underground now, but I think I am going to make it!

https://www.youtube....og8xbPfEWXFUiQ?

As I see John 6:29:

Joshua replied to all of them, "In me is the Work of God, in order that you [all] trust that I will send you."

Jesus started His ministry as a commandment of God through His mother, whom he obeyed, to urged Him to begin His ministry. What transpires from that is Him as the greatest light of the world that ever was and ever will be. As a representation of this, he did a miracle and from six pots of water He made into wine that represents humanity at large. He made the wine into the best tasting wine as a representation of what He does for those of us who believe He was God and did the Work of God so that He might send out His Spirit upon the whole world.

#28 Jesse D

Jesse D

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Currently, I am interested in what makes up man according to the bible. I have a fairly robust understanding of man according to personality by way of Typology. I also have a passion for heavy Christian music such as Demon Hunter. God is good.

Posted 08 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

I do have a comment on this, actually.

I first wanted to get Logos because it was the only thing I knew of that was this sort of thing. Then I saw the price. I am a very poor person on SSI - there is no way I can either afford or justify buying Logos with that price tag for just the intro version. You get WAY more for your money with Accordance in terms of material.

• Daniel Francis and dandennison like this

New music I am interested in:

https://youtu.be/Y-ZiJmDOk2c - Matisyahu, Produces Reggae and Pop music as a practicing Jew. His song "One Day" talks about peace between the world at large

https://youtu.be/44S6vBveKZQ - Demon Hunter, Traditional Christian Metal/Rock band who just came out with 2 very successful albums, separately, titled 'War' & 'Peace'

https://youtu.be/R7REkjcwM_8- POD (Payable On Death), Positive Nu-Metal/Rock/Reggae band that gained popularity when they came out with "Alive" and "Youth of the Nation" off the album 'Satellite' which released 9/11/2001

https://youtu.be/Bz-g2tucn24- Project 86, Post-Hardcore Christian band. Andrew Schwab, the front man of the band runs a podcast (which I support through Patreon) dedicated to helping other creatives find their voice.

See my YouTube channel, and it's purpose! I am pretty underground now, but I think I am going to make it!

https://www.youtube....og8xbPfEWXFUiQ?

As I see John 6:29:

Joshua replied to all of them, "In me is the Work of God, in order that you [all] trust that I will send you."

Jesus started His ministry as a commandment of God through His mother, whom he obeyed, to urged Him to begin His ministry. What transpires from that is Him as the greatest light of the world that ever was and ever will be. As a representation of this, he did a miracle and from six pots of water He made into wine that represents humanity at large. He made the wine into the best tasting wine as a representation of what He does for those of us who believe He was God and did the Work of God so that He might send out His Spirit upon the whole world.

#29 jmc1982

jmc1982

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:23 PM

Jesse - in their defence, the app itself is free and there's an abundance of free resources, including some really good ones - SBL GNT, Lexham Bible Dictionary, Faithlife Study Bible etc. You'll hit the limits of the free version, for sure, but it's still a capable offering.

For people on a really tight budget I'd recommend Logos over Accordance (provided they had a fast enough machine to run it without it being too painful). For people on a moderate budget, I'd go with Accordance - especially for OL stuff - you can unlock all the features for a really low price and get some really well-tailored bundles. For a high budget? I couldn't give a universal answer.

#30 Fabian

Fabian

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

One of Accordance's guiding principles is that the Bible is always front and central. Everything else is secondary.

I'm still waiting for more Bibles in different languages. When will they come?

Greetings

Fabian

• Daniel Francis and markusvonkaenel like this
Greetings

Fabian

ATTENTION: My bug reports are all with the GERMAN INTERFACE and with the EUROPEAN NOTATION! It can be the English interface has no bug, which I describe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users