Trust in God in the OT

Dieudonne

I am trying to find every instance in the OT where someone is said to trust in God, but Acc seems to miss at least an instance of the phrase in Deut 1:32.

Here is the construct search i did. Is there anything I am getting wrong?

post-30090-0-79962900-1462502612_thumb.png

Edited by Dieudonne

Sorry, I cannot expand and see the construct. Please try posting it again.

Very thankful Dr. Brown. Here you go. 

post-30090-0-23865200-1462502643_thumb.png

Dieudonne,

Your construct search does not reflect the hierarchy of the clause. In cases like this (and there are many), the prepositional phrase is the complement of the verb, and the noun "God" is the complement of the preposition. So, you would need to insert a predicate phrase, in which the predicate is the verb "believe" and the complement phrase begins with a complement "in". Following the preposition is another complement phrase in which you insert a noun "God, Yhwh" as the complement. 

Below is a screenshot and also the zipped workspace.

post-29948-0-65100200-1462526202_thumb.png

BelieveInGod.accord.zip

This still omits Deut 1:32, but I think the reason is that the verb here is tagged as a complement rather than the predicate.

Thanks Dr. Holmstedt. I am still not sure why Deut 1:32 is not in the search result. According to DCH this clause also occurs Num 14:11 and Deut 1:32. I know that the construction in Deut 1:32 is different from those in the search results, but I was wondering whether it is possible to get it in the result as well. 

Edited by Helen Brown

Num 14:11 does not include the Name of God, just "Bi."

In fact a simple search gives the same results (reversed order of course):

אמן־1   בְּ (יהוה, אלהים)

• Like 1

Deut 1:32 has a participle, not a finite verb. That is a different structure. I can figure out the general search that would cover all the examples, but only tonight when I'm back at my desktop.

• Like 1

Ok, it was a simple change (thanks to the new Depth feature). I removed the predicate label so that the Hifil verb אמן could be both finite verb (predicate proper) or participle (complement of a null copula). Then I set Depth =1 in the encompassing Predicate Phrase, and voila!, the 6 examples became 7 examples, with Deut 1:32 added.

Also, while I didn't do it now, adding Suffix alongside יהוה and אלהים would catch the Num 14:11 types.

Pic below.

post-29948-0-94138800-1462620752_thumb.png

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 2