Accordance for IOS9 on an Ipod 6th generation

Brian K. Mitchell

Does anyone have any experience using Accordance on IOS9 on a 6th generation Ipod touch?

I have been using such a system for several months now. It functions as expected. What would you like to find out?

Thank you for the quick reply!

. What would you like to find out?

I would like to know:

(1) Is is easy to read on the 4-inch screen?

(2) can you run searches on the app offline?

(3) can you run (some, most, all) boolean queries on the app? 

(4) does the app of the character palette?

(5) Is it easy to type in Hebrew (vowels and all) as well as Greek?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Brian, I am able to confirm the following:

1. I find that the 4-inch screen works well enough for either a single or double frame (single text or text plus reference). It is possible to easily change font size and settings in each frame with a direct font control button. Convenience wins over the issues of small size.
  2. I keep those texts and tools I use most often on the device (easily synced between OS X and iOS) and all search, amplify, and text/tool display features work offline. This I find extremely useful! 
  3. Exact, flex, and boolean queries as well as amplify work as on the computer. To me this is simply amazing!
  4. In the tools, Greek and Hebrew fonts display as one expects. No disappointment here!
  5. I do not work with Greek or Hebrew directly, so I must defer comments on this question to those who use small iOS devices directly with these languages.

I hope this information is useful to you.

• Like 1

I'm new and inexperienced enough that I don't know how helpful I'll be, but:

1) it's plain text on a screen, and you can customise the text or background colours along with the font-size. It's as easy to read as any app, and the screen-width is about the same width as a single column in an average bible. It's sharper and without page bleed-through, so you might be happier with a smaller font, or you might feel looking at an LCD screen causes eye-strain and want to make the text larger, but either way, it's certainly readable. I do about 70-80% of my reading on my iPhone)

2) yes - the only times you need to go online are to download/update your library (you choose what books you want, or you can download all - some of them aren't mobile-friendly yet, though). I don't know if it checks your account every now and again like the desktop app, but it's certainly rare enough that I can happily work offline with it.

3) certainly most of them - I honestly don't know if you can do all of them as I'm still a newbie myself.

4) not sure what the question means, but colours/fonts are user-definable.

5) you can easily install Greek/Hebrew keyboards on iOS (they're built in and just need to be turned on from settings), or you can transliterate (e.g. Search for 'kurios' to find κυριος)

Oops. Cross-posted!

• Like 1

Hi brian

These are screen shots of the ios search options in the tagged hebrew bible ( search options vary depending on the resource such as sacred bridge)

Im using accordance on my iphone 4s, very small screen but perfectly usable in a church service or coffee shop, but i mainly use the ipad for serious use as sceen size is ideal for me.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

FYI I may have missed the part of reply dealing with this, if so apologies for my repeating things.

Accordance unlike some others dose not rely on servers but the power of your iOS device. So other than for installing/updating/syncing you need no connectivity to use all the features available on the iOS app. Some features are not yet implemented on iOS device yet but most of your favourite features likely in there already. 

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis
  • Like 1

I would like to thank Solly, Jmc1982, Ukfraser, and Dan Francis for answering my questions.

So for all the answers I have received have been very helpful.

I apologize but I have a few more questions:

(1) How much space (memory wise) does the Accordance IOS app take up?  Or, how much space/memory is recommended?

(2) How much space/memory do text base modules typical take-up? Are the modules the same sizes as the ones found in the Standard Accordance program for Desktops/Laptops?

(3) Do you download a few modules, a collection, or your entire library to the IOS app? 

(4) Does, the app or the text use the full-screen space?

thanks in advance,

Brian

Storage,

I have 2.7 gig on my iphone, and that has 14 texts, mostly tagged, (niv, nrsv, esv, kjv,2 hebrew and two greek)

10 english tools,

4 greek tools,

5 hebrew,

34 reference tools including complete wbc, nt nivac, jps commentaries, expositors, lots of study bibles (have attaced ipad list which doesnt include expositors)

12 general tools including image rich sacred bridge, zondervan atlas, cultural images of holy land and a load of other stuff.

Basically its very good, but i have different settings on my iphone to my iPad (2.6 gig) but neither have everything i have on my mbp. Just what i consider my essentials (iphone is a 64 gig but ipad is only 16 gig so though i use it more i have fewer resources)

The modules that come with the base installation can be removed if you dont want them, configure to your need and available space. I havent checked but assume they are the same to the main ones as you can either synch from mbp or easy install.

Have included an easy install screenshot so you can see what you want to install and how large it is ( i have been very restrictive on my ipad)

You still get a little bar along the top but not much space is wasted as the tools do hide when reading.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Thank you UKFraser! Your response precisely answers my last questions.

I just want to add that in my opinion, it is actually easier to type in Hebrew and Greek on iOS because the characters on the on-screen keyboard will change to Hebrew and Greek when you switch over to that keyboard—unlike the physical keys on my laptop!

• Like 3