JPS Additional Commentaries!

Gedalya

Congratulations to Accordance for making available the bundle of additional JPS Commentaries which includes the Passover Haggadah, the Megillot (except the Book of Lamentations which is not yet available), the Book of Jonah and the very important and essential Haftarot volume.  

Thanks also for the Custom Upgrade option on this bundle.

This is a wonderful addition to the Accordance library.

• Like 5

Thank you, Gordon. If you can post reviews on the products or send us an endorsement that we can use in our blog we would be grateful.

• Like 1

Is there a reason why, in the JPS Haftarot volume, the INDEX OF BIBLICAL PASSAGES which is on the last page of the print volume, is not included in the Accordance Haftarot volume?

This index is often referred to in the Haftarot volume.

For eg,

"See also the comments to the several haftarah readings taken from his prophecies (listed in “Index of Biblical Passages”).

Michael Fishbane, The JPS Bible Commentary: Haftarot (Accordance electronic ed. Philadelphia: Jewish Publication Society, 2002), 192."

We usually don't include Indexes as it is so easy to search for any passage using the Scripture field.

Hi Helen,

I think that in this case the index is an integral part of the commentary and essential to the volume because it gives a clear and immediate indication of the frequency of Biblical passages that are used as Haftarot.  Looking at the index one can get an immediate visual picture of which Biblical books were used and, in addition, which ones were not used as Haftarot.  Without this index, one would not be able to ascertain so easily which Biblical books were used as Haftarot and which ones were not. In addition, It could also  serve as an important research tool to explore why certain Biblical books were used as Haftarot and which ones were not.  I hope you will include this list in the next update if not sooner.

• Like 1

I may get shouted down for this (or not many may agree), but I think that indexes should always be included in electronic editions that are based on paper editions, even if the software can do the same thing with the links.

typo: "edition" to "editions"

Edited by EricC
  • Like 1

Not sure about always but ceratinly agree that they shouldnt be omitted purely coz of search as indexes are useful to see what are listed (as discussed in a couple of other forum threads). So i certainly support you eric

;o)

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/18505-reading-a-bibles-introductory-sentences/

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

To clarify: For some time now we have made it standard practice to include all portions of resources that are included in the e-texts provided to us, including indices, front matter, etc.

For this volume the Index of Biblical Passages was not in the e-text. Since it is only 1 page in the print edition, we can add it back in pretty easily.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 4

Rick,

Thanks for your comment and clarification.  It will be great to have this Index of Biblical Passages added back to the Haftarot module!

Hi

Can you also do the notes for the nrsv and list from esv study bible as well?

Thanks

Version 1.1 of the JPS Haftarot Commentary has been released that includes the Index of Biblical Passages.

• Like 2

Dear Accordance,

Thanks so much for your quick response to my request for this update of the JPS Haftarot commentary to version 1.1 which now includes the Index of Biblical Passages!  

I see that there was also an update  for the JPS Torah Commentary as well.  Can you tell me what this update the JPS Torah Commentary included ?

Thanks again.

A few minor error corrections. The main update was to add an "authors" field to enable the author's name to be displayed in the upcoming 11.2 release. We've been updating all our tools that lack an author field to prepare for the new Accordance update :-)

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%2011.55.

• Like 1

Mark,

Thanks so much for your response.

Mark forgot to mention one of the biggest changes to the JPS Torah Commentary. We updated it to become part of a collection with these new JPS Bible Commentaries. That way, you can combine the Torah, Haftarot, Megillot, and Jonah in a single pane so that as you scroll through the Bible, you'll get the appropriate commentary.

• Like 1

David Lang,

Thanks for the tip.  Just figured out how to do this.

Edited by Gordon

I forgot about that because David did all the work :-)

Open a bible text, then add one of the JPS tools as a parallel pane. That will reveal the "combine resources" button. You'll be able to add each of them together. After they've been grouped, you can rename them and rearrange them in the list.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-10%20at%202.07.1

• Like 1