New Tyndale Commentary volumes wanted

Daniel  Francis

I have admittedly, shamelessly copied this from another forum but being I own this series in Accordance it made me wish that we could have updates soon too. I know we have been told in the past that the working relationship with IVP allows you to get pretty much anything you want... A little updating to what some consider a core series would be very nice.

Can we get the new/updated volumes in the Tyndale series?

Leviticus - Jay Sklar (2013)

Deuteronomy - Edward J. Woods (2011)

Psalms - Tremper Longman (2014)

Song of Songs - Iain Duguid (2015)

Jeremiah/Lamentations - Hetty Lalleman (2013)

Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi - Andrew Hill (2012)

2 Corinthians (2nd Ed) - Colin Kruse (2015)

James (2nd Ed) - Douglas Moo (2015)

-Dan

PS:ideally the old ones being offered as  a separate file would be great. having 2 Esther's in the current module makes it hard... by default the newer volume seems to come up but there is not a good way to access it, even the INFO pane only brings up the tyndale once rather than twice as it really should since there are 2 complete commentaries on Esther in it.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I would like to echo this call for the updated volumes--but certainly not in any way that makes it more difficult to access the older ones (which are often wonderful in their own right).

I wonder if a possible new feature could be to create a way to designate which edition is "preferred" within a commentary series so that it will show whichever version you prefer as your default when you bring it up parallel to the text.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, I thought the Tyndale series was already sealed in the past. What you've listed are very recent modules indeed. It would be good to have this update in a similar way as what was done with WBC (keeping the older volumes in separate modules).

• Like 1

So I can have Kidner and Longman on the Psalms? Yes please.

+1 for just the Psalms update (A further +1 for the Leviticus, 2 Corinthians & James volumes).

• Like 1

Yes +1  :D

• Like 1

My first post as a new Accordance user is a big +1 for the new Tyndale volumes to be added!

Iain Duguid lectured us on Song of Songs as a visiting lecturer at London Theological Seminary last year, very insightful and helpful.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have admittedly, shamelessly copied this from another forum but being I own this series in Accordance it made me wish that we could have updates soon too. I know we have been told in the past that the working relationship with IVP allows you to get pretty much anything you want... A little updating to what some consider a core series would be very nice.

Can we get the new/updated volumes in the Tyndale series?

Leviticus - Jay Sklar (2013)

Deuteronomy - Edward J. Woods (2011)

Psalms - Tremper Longman (2014)

Song of Songs - Iain Duguid (2015)

Jeremiah/Lamentations - Hetty Lalleman (2013)

Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi - Andrew Hill (2012)

2 Corinthians (2nd Ed) - Colin Kruse (2015)

James (2nd Ed) - Douglas Moo (2015)

-Dan

PS:ideally the old ones being offered as  a separate file would be great. having 2 Esther's in the current module makes it hard... by default the newer volume seems to come up but there is not a good way to access it, even the INFO pane only brings up the tyndale once rather than twice as it really should since there are 2 complete commentaries on Esther in it.

I agree, I hope the new volumes are not simply added to make duplicates, this would reduce the series usability.

I wonder if the current set could be revised to remove the newer Esther commentary and a new collection created with all the new volumes listed above, including the new Esther edition? Then, as new volumes are released the new collection would grow, being available for custom upgrades, while the old set would be fixed but still purchasable as a complete collection? Current users could then custom upgrade to the revised 'old set' FOC (to remove the new Esther volume) and also custom upgrade to the new collection, so in the end we would have two Tyndale commentary sets in the library - old editions (complete) and new editions (expanding).

• Like 2

I suspect much of this will depend on the publisher and whether they release the new editions individually, or as a new collection of updated commentaries, or in an updated complete set of all their volumes (possibly with a mix of old/new). A lot depends on how long their revisions process is expected to take.

Either way I believe Accordance will take care of looking after its users and provide a suitable way to access both the old and new volumes.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Are these updates being pursued by chance? This would still be a very useful resource.

I would bet there is a very good chance they're being pursued. The most we will possibly get is a vague status. We are in talks... contract is signed but it's ok n quee for development .... or we are considering it. Accordance keeps quiet usually until release, only occasionally dropping hint sometimes. It would be nice to hear something official but the answer may be as meaningless (giving no real time frame) as my examples above. And if they are in negotiations sometimes they would she to be as tight lipped as possible. It would be so nice if publishing negotiations were as simple as ordering at A restaurant but unfortunately I understand that in a good case it takes months typically. Perhaps Rick or Helen might have something to say but there may be nothing to say beyond that is a good idea.

-dan

• 4 months later...

Just ended up buying a print copy of some of these newer Tyndale OT an NT Commentary volumes. Would prefer to be spending those dollars digitally!

We are working on getting these additional volumes. Publishers rarely (if ever) notify us when new volumes are added to series, so it's up to us to check periodically (which we do). We also have this set in several of our Collections, which adds an extra layer of work on our part to work out new agreements for royalties, upgrades, pricing, etc.

When we release these we will place all the most recent volumes in the main module, then older ones in a second module. For this series, we didn't feel it was worth it at the time to create a second module just for Esther. 

Thanks for the feedback and requests.

• Like 2

Thanks for keeping up the good work! I think a little wait is fully justified. So wonderful that you continuously strive to make the best commentaries available in accordance!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...