Copy as Citation Crashes Another App

Brett K.

When I press command+control-C to Copy as Citation, the application LaunchBar crashes. LaunchBar is not even the active application; it is in the background.

LaunchBar does not use the shortcut command+control-C for anything. If I open any other app and use the command+control-C shortcut, nothing happens. If I bring LaunchBar to the front and use the shortcut, nothing happens. If I bring Accordance 11.2 to the front, select a verse, and use the shortcut, LaunchBar crashes.

LaunchBar does have some functionality involving the clipboard, but it doesn't have anything to do with the command+control-C shortcut.

If you need a screen grab of the crash, just let me know.

Any ideas?

Thank you

--
Brett

Accordance 11.2
Mac OS X 10.11.4
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

I generally would recommend you contact LaunchBar if their app is crashing (which I would still do - ideally no app should ever crash), but I installed LaunchBar to try it out, and I have a couple of ideas to also fix it from Accordance's end.

Well, after investigating a bit more, I'm not sure what can be done on our end to prevent their crashing.  Brett, if you get a hold of them, I'd be happy to discuss with their developers if they need assistance fixing the crash.

• Like 1

Well, after investigating a bit more, I'm not sure what can be done on our end to prevent their crashing.  Brett, if you get a hold of them, I'd be happy to discuss with their developers if they need assistance fixing the crash.

Thanks for looking into this. I'll get in touch with them. Do you have some contact info you would like for me to relay to them? How should they contact you?

Thanks

I'll message you my e-mail address.

I just want to confirm that I am a LaunchBar user who just updated to the current version of Accordance (11.2.0) and every time I try to copy as citation LaunchBar crashes on me. I am not using the keyboard shortcut. I use the contextual menu option but it still crashes.

Never had this problem before (I was still running Accordance version 9 until yesterday). 

• Like 1

I just want to confirm that I am a LaunchBar user who just updated to the current version of Accordance (11.2.0) and every time I try to copy as citation LaunchBar crashes on me. I am not using the keyboard shortcut. I use the contextual menu option but it still crashes.

Never had this problem before (I was still running Accordance version 9 until yesterday). 

Thanks. I was just about to get in touch with LaunchBar (Objective Development) so I can let them know it has happened to three people. And I'll give them Joel's contact info.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I updated to the latest version of LaunchBar and Accordance today (2016-06-14), and the bug is still there. But I did find a work around. It's not perfect, but it keeps LaunchBar from crashing.

1. Open LaunchBar's preferences and click on the Clipboard icon in the preferences toolbar.

post-734-0-70062200-1465919061_thumb.jpg

2. Click the Ignore Applications check box so it has a check mark in it.

3. Click the Edit button beside it, and add Accordance to the list of ignored applications.

That will prevent LaunchBar from crashing when you Copy as Citation from Accordance. But nothing you copy from Accordance will be saved in LaunchBar's clipboard history.

Edited by Brett K.
  • Like 1

Thanks for this, Brett. Not perfect, but definitely helpful (and a setting in LaunchBar I didn't know about). 

I'm sure it's not high up on their list, but is there any acknowledgement from Objective Development that LaunchBar and Accordance aren't playing nicely together?

I just got in touch with them recently so I haven't heard anything yet.

BTW, apparently other apps have had problems with LaunchBar's clipboard functionality so the developer may already know the fix.

Edited by Brett K.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to weigh in here: I've been interacting with the help people at LaunchBar for about a month on this. The guy I've been talking with seemed to not know that this was an ongoing issue and had a hard time replicating this. I sent him a link to this thread. Hopefully they get some help. In the meantime, I've applied the workaround suggested above. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

LaunchBar released an update with the following in the release notes.

Fixed a potential crash in the Clipboard History when copying RTF or RTFD data (happened in particular when copying data in Accordance.app).

Hope this helps.

--

Brett

Glad they took care of it!  After asking for some information, they never responded again, so I wasn't sure the status on their end.