Improved support for upcoming liturgical tools

Michael Hunt

I saw this in the release notes for 11.2.

Can someone please explain what this means?

(I'm trying to contain my eager expectation as to whether my one greatest desire for accordance might be fulfilled)

Happy days if it is true  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

• Like 1

I think the intention is to support the liturgical calendar as a devotional tool so that it shows the correct readings for the feast and the week, accounting for the calendar year and the three year cycle. It was no easy task!

• Like 3

As a regular user of the Ancient Christian Devotional and the Revised Common Lectionary this makes me very happy.

Now if only a standardised date for Easter could be agreed to in our generation then this will make programming Lectionary resources so much easier :-)

• Like 2

Will that include liturgical colours?

;o)

Yes! This will make sermon prep in Accordance another step easier for all of us in lectionaries-based churches.

Will that include liturgical colours?

;o)

Hah! Yes, that would be good—perhaps the devotional pane could even automatically change to the appropriate color! ;-) I have friends ministering in liturgical churches that don't come from that sort of background. They often get it wrong.

• Like 1

Fortunately, we can download the lictionary and colours into apple or outlook calendars

http://almanac.oremus.org/lectionary/

;o)

The colour is also printed in common worship (in the collects section) which is available as a pdf or rtf file

Its just nice to have things in one place but i have built up a collection of resources and established a workflow

If there is to be an official Revised Common Lectionary module released by Accordance can I please ask that all the Complimentary and Semi-Continuous readings be clearly labeled as such. Having to refer to a hard copy of the lectionary in order to find out which are which kind of defeats one of the purposes of having an electronic copy of the lectionary in the first place.

Whichever ordering is chosen could this also be consistently implemented across all RCL modules (i.e. the daily readings) if these were also to be released.

Another bible software product has the order reversed in its RCL daily readings module (compared to the man RCL module) as well as leaving them unlabelled resulting in at times one very frustrated user.

Is it intended that the Roman Catholic lectionary also be supported ? I understand that the differences between the two are not especially great.

Thx

D

If there is to be an official Revised Common Lectionary module released by Accordance can I please ask that all the Complimentary and Semi-Continuous readings be clearly labeled as such. Having to refer to a hard copy of the lectionary in order to find out which are which kind of defeats one of the purposes of having an electronic copy of the lectionary in the first place.

Whichever ordering is chosen could this also be consistently implemented across all RCL modules (i.e. the daily readings) if these were also to be released.

Another bible software product has the order reversed in its RCL daily readings module (compared to the man RCL module) as well as leaving them unlabelled resulting in at times one very frustrated user.

http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/

Under User Tools... you can find:

Lectionary David Martyn  Years A, B, and C of the Revised Common Lectionary copyright 1992 Consultation on Common Texts. Used by permission.  7 Required  5/18/07  http://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/gfx/zip.png

-Dan

EDIT:PS: I just realized my copy and paste gave you a link you can simply click on the above zip icon to download it.

Edited by Dan Francis

Thanks Dan. I have a copy of the RCL User Tool from the exchange installed. Unfortunately it doesn't distinguish between the the Complimentary and Semi-Continuous readings as seen below.

Really what I am after is something similar to Logos but with better labelling :-)

Proper 6

(11th Sunday in Ordinary Time)

Sunday between June 12 and June 18 inclusive (if after Trinity Sunday)

1 Kings 21:1-21a  1 Kings 21:1-10, (11-14), 15-21a

Psalm 5:1-8

Galatians 2:15-21

Luke 7:36-8:3

2 Samuel 11:26-12:10, 13-15

Psalm 32

We have some new releases coming in another week, but I am keeping them under wraps for now. They will support this feature. I don't know enough about all the different lectionaries to know if they will satisfy all these requests, but I think many of you will be happy.

• Like 2

Hi oddsocks, thats only the principal service, what about 2nd and third?

That why i use the onesemus link.

But i am really looking forward to what is coming

I actually access the RCL readings in a number of different ways

1. Through google calendar
  2. Directly from http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu
  3. In various bible software platforms (with various degrees off usefulness)

and of course the old fashioned way - in paper form.

ukfraser I don't have much need for anything but the principal service and the occasional special days. I'm not ministering in a highly liturgical tradition and have come to value the lectionary and use it for orientating our services around the christian calendar and with the wider universal church.

My main wish for electronic lectionaries is that they clearly present the readings for today (in the case of the RCL daily readings) or Sunday (in the case of the RCL). I really want to be able to pick up my iPad, open Accordance and go to todays readings with out having to mentally work out where we are in the calendar, or click on each reading to open up the text. These are the current limitations of all the options I have pursued at the moment.

Also I would like the text of the readings to be nicely laid out so I don't have to do much in the way of editing when I export them for our service sheet.

I understand that in the case of the RCL daily readings I am an early adopter since these are still just proposed (what is a decade in comparison to centuries)

I think a lot of us are looking forward to whats coming.

My current workflow is open the calendar, copy the service and paste into accordance search and then edit so its in the format accordance likes, then copy the resulting search into notes (for sermon prep) or word for the service.

But like you, i also have paper, both the common worship, which is leather bound and smells fab, or a printed lectionary (both niv and nrsv) with all the readings and collects printed, which is great for speed but rubbish to put the readings in context.

The one thing i like about both hard copies is the tables which shows you when readings are used which is great to see if something is only used once every three years in the third service or you get two or three times a year.

The thing with accordance is that they listen, and things develop. I currently have something that works, hopefully accordance will bring new things, even if its in one place and in accordance search ready format has to be a plus for me (and it is sure to be tagged and searchable).

Edited by ukfraser

Being a user tool you can edit them to include that information....  which are typological and which are semicontinuous... Although maybe in a couple weeks this will become a moot point.

-Dan

This morning i was visiting a church where they follow the lectionary but those reading did not announce where the readings were from other than 1 Kings and Luke. Fortunately i had my calendar open, but even so, the person reading was well into their stride by the time i had switched apps and found the readings in accordance on my phone (no data projection or printed notes).

So having the lectionary integrated into accordance with links to the readings should make life easier and i am even more really looking forward to it after this morning's experience.

The pressure is on and i just hope it is a resource on ios as well.

;o)

• Like 1

Note that Accordance Mobile will not support lectionary syncing until a future update is released. This was implemented very recently on desktop, and mobile already had other priorities in work within their development cycle.

Thanks rick, wasnt sure if it was functionality or a separate module. Never mind, very thankful for what i've got and its not your problem that some churches have maintained the 15th century(?) tradition of not announcing the readings (failing to move with the changes in literacy).

;o(

Rick any news on when iOS 2.4 might be out?

-Dan

No, I'm not exactly sure at this point (and you know we don't like to throw out empty claims).

oh i know that I just had hoped it might have been stuck in Apples approval line... but I am satisfied it is likely under beta.... hopefully with little problem, but I know that is one reason you don;t try to give dates... it;s ready and then you discover a critical error meaning you have to go back to square one... I know things are not even as simple as I suggest.. just anxious to get new items on my iPad... but it happens when it happens.

-dan