Sloooow Info Pane Scroll - 11.2

sfarson

Hey, I have a workspace with several tabs.  One of the tabs has the ESV Bible in a window on the left and the Info Pane on the right.  They are sync'd.  After updating to 11.2 (iMac, latest os), the ESV scrolling is excruciatingly slow (pinwheel spinning).  If I switch to other tabs where the ESV is on the left and I have commentaries on the right, things are as they should be... snappy scrolling.  No problem with my Acc 11.2 on my Windows PC.

Steve

Steve, would you mind .zipping and uploading your workspace here, so I can take a look?

Sure... Having never done this, I see there is a file called "English Greek Hebrew Info Pane.accord" that is only 34kb.  Is this the file you want to see?  If it is, does it need to be zipped (a small thang).

That's it!  It does need to be zipped, or else the forums won't let you upload it :)

OK... Here it is.  BTW, I now don't recall if I ever observed the same slowness on the WIN7 PC.  I might not have given it a try.  Don't have the PC handy at the moment to check.  

Oh, and I also have a MacBook Pro and I just checked to see if I see the same slowness (tab 4 on the workspace... ESV Bible and Info Pane), and I do see the same pinwheel slow scrolling of the ESV.  Both Macs are late 2013 with the latest OS.

Thanks for taking a look.

Steve

English Greek Hebrew Info Pane.accord.zip

FWIW, After being out-of-town over the weekend, checked 11.2 screen refresh/update with the info pane on my WIN7 PC (same workspace tabs as on the Mac and attached previously), and also see screen lag as with the Mac.

Hey is there a way I can revert back to 11.1.6 on my Windows PC?  I did so on my Mac (thanks for the link) so the ESV and Info Pane tab in my workspace would return to the snappy speed.  Would like to do the same on my Windows PC.

11.2.1 has been released that should fix this for you - have you tried updating?

When I go to App Update I see the message "You're up to date!  Accordance 11.2.0.0 is currently the newest version available."

But thanks for the hint that a fix is available!

Have stopped/relaunched Acc 11.2.  Still the same message (I have the latest version).  WIN7 PC.  Haven't tried the Mac yet.  But thanks for following!

Well, the update appeared, installed it... much snappier screen.  Thanks!

But, only about 1/3 of my commentaries are showing in the Info Pane... No NIGTC, Word, Pillar, Tyndale, Phillips, NIB, NAC, UTB. etc.  Not present.

They show up fine in other tabs in the workspace.  Have tried the +/-.  Have entered other bible references.  Same set of commentaries absent in the Info Pane.

How many commentaries are you attempting to show in the Info Pane at once?  We actually implemented a 25 commentary at once cap for the Info Pane.  If there are commentaries more than that that you need immediate access to, you can place them higher in the Library.  If you need to compare verse results for more than 25 commentaries, you can always run a quick research on your verse.  Generally, we felt that users don't need more than 25 commentaries for every verse at the same time.

Ah... well that explains it.  I have all my commentaries in alphabetical order.  I kinda liked having all the commentaries and study bibles showing.  So convenient.  And things were fast with them all... even on my aging WIN7 PC.

Major bummer all the commentaries and study bibles aren't shown together in the Info Pane in this new 11.2.1

We'll look into increasing the cap again, but your workflow could be tweaked.  Do you really need access to every single commentary and study bible for every single verse?  If you want to look up one, amplifying to the Library is easy.  If you want to look them all up, Research is easy.  If you want a quick glance at your favorites, place them at the top and the Info Pane works really well.

Yes, I've tried Research and Amplify.  Nice for a topic and such, but just isn't the same as that super fast, full look Info Pane comparison of what each resource has to say about a verse/passage.  What a time saver.  Plus, being a theology nut and knowing the lens/views of commentaries or authors or historical p-o-v's, I easily examine more than 25 commentary and study bible resources all the time.   Sometimes I will look at dozens for one verse/passage/book and look at a gaggle of different resources for another.  Also, I have a number of single-volume commentaries.

Info Pane is/was a great Accordance competitive advantage.  And it worked great.  But now it has been trimmed back? 

I agree that if an arbitrary limit is going to be set that it should be user configurable.

Edited by Scott Knapp

I had expected that Accordance would be faster as cocoa 64 bit especially in scrolling through, library, texts, Info Pane etc. But the opposite came true. 

For me this is strange. The games for the Apple Ecosystems benefits from all the new features, Metal, Swift etc. So why not Accordance and Accordance Mobile?

Accordance Mobile has been a Cocoa Touch app since the beginning and 64 bit for awhile. What speed issues are you seeing in the mobile app?

• Like 1

Fabian, wenn ich das richtig sehe, nutzt du das 4S für Accordance. Das ist das vorletzte iPhone, welches lediglich eine 32bit CPU hat. Ab dem 5S kamen die 64Bit Prozessoren (A7), welcher gleich die Rechenleistung verdoppelte. Es kann also durchaus das Maximum an Geschwindigkeit sein, welches Accordance aus dem 4S herausholt. Da liegen wirklich Welten zwischen dem A5 und dem A7, geschweige den dem aktuellen A9.

Short E Version: I think he uses the iPhone 4S with the 32bit A5 and doesnt enjoy the amazing 64Bit processors speeds Apple brought with the A7 and up... The jump in processing power from a6 to a7 was nearly 2x...

Edited by JayDee

Hallo JayDee

Ja du hast recht. Ist mir auch gerade aufgefallen als ich den Post von Scott gelesen habe. Ich wollte nur meine Schmach noch ein bisschen für mich behalten.

Hello Scott

JayDee has right, but what I experienced is sometimes a time lag after I press a button, it needs 10 seconds till something happen. So I press again and then the action comes twice. Eg. go back.

Greetings

Fabian