Search For Two or More of a list of words

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I'm working with a Jeremiah text, and I'm wanting to do some work with the key verbs from Jeremiah's call in 1:10. They are:

נתש נתצ אבד הרס בנה נטע

Only twice do they all appear together, but they appear frequently throughout Jeremiah in smaller groups.

Is there a way to have Accordance provide those verses where two or more of the words appear together?

I began doing the compiling by hand, by searching for each word separately and then pasting my results into a word processing document with the idea of building a table. But I'm wondering if there is an easier way.

Thanks,

Lorinda

If you create a construct with all these lemmas in one column, you can duplicate the column (option drag) and add a within of 40 words. If you also add a Not Agree in lemma you remove those where the same word is repeated, and I get 16 verses with 49 hits, at least two per verse.

repeat_words.jpg

Many thanks, Helen! I figured there had to be a way; I just couldn't get my head around it. I had forgotten you could include more than one word in a single lemma box in the constructs.

Lorinda

Or, if you want to be able to specify within a phrase, clause, sentence, verse as well, you can do it without a construct window and use simple boolean:

post-16-1192728026_thumb.png

Here's the text I typed out to paste into the search box:

(ofn <AND> hnb) <OR> (ofn <AND> srh) <OR> (ofn <AND> dba) <OR> (ofn <AND> xtn) <OR> (ofn <AND> vtn) <OR> (hnb <AND> srh) <OR> (hnb <AND> dba) <OR> (hnb <AND> xtn) <OR> (hnb <AND> vtn) <OR> (srh <AND> dba) <OR> (srh <AND> xtn) <OR> (srh <AND> vtn) <OR> (dba <AND> xtn) <OR> (dba <AND> vtn) <OR> (xtn <AND> vtn)

And here's the changes of reversing text I had to make so that it'd paste in correctly:

)nfo <AND> bnh( <OR> )nfo <AND> hrs( <OR> )nfo <AND> abd( <OR> )nfo <AND> ntx( <OR> )nfo <AND> ntv( <OR> )bnh <AND> hrs( <OR> )bnh <AND> abd( <OR> )bnh <AND> ntx( <OR> )bnh <AND> ntv( <OR> )hrs <AND> abd( <OR> )hrs <AND> ntx( <OR> )hrs <AND> ntv( <OR> )abd <AND> ntx( <OR> )abd <AND> ntv( <OR> )ntx <AND> ntv(

You can set the Search window to a Clause or other field as well as link to the Construct.

You can set the Search window to a Clause or other field as well as link to the Construct.

Helen, I know that to be the case... your hard-coding in a "within 49 words" somehow cause a lapse thinking through how it works on the Search Window Options side of things.

I tend to always do things in the Search Box instead of a Construct window when possible. I think the main reason is a love for all things "text" and I save search criteria in my notes as I do research. Plus, I sometimes have search criteria compiled programmatically, which can't be done in the construct window.

But this search is a great example of one that you can figure out how to do it in the Search Window, but it's easier to create in a construct window.

Archived