Searching for Hortatory Subjunctive

bobby0711

Hi,

I'm trying to locate first person plural Subjunctives that are Hortatory (not Deliberative) and am therefore trying to set up a search that will eliminate the ";" from the results. When I set up a "not" with the ";" the search still includes verses with ";" although they are not highlighted. Conversely, if I remove the "not" the ";" is highlighted. Is there some way to eliminate the verses that are questions? Thank you! Robert

post-33363-0-26367800-1464889650_thumb.png

Try this regular (not construct) search:  [VERB first plural present subjunctive] <NOT> .; <WITHIN 1 Words> [FIELD END]

It eliminates all verses that end with a question mark (Gk ;), not just those where the verb is followed immediately by a question mark.

Hi Dr. J,

Your answer exposes an short-coming in construct searches. It appears you cannot specify FIELD BEGIN/END in a construct.

There does seem to be a problem with <NOT> and .; at the end in non-construct. If you try .; <NOT> <WITHIN 1 WORDS> [FIELD END] you still get plenty of hits - over 100 in the NA28 Greek NT.

I also tried your search and it only finds subjunctives at the search scope's end - end of verse, sentence etc.

The best result I can get seems to be just :  [VERB first plural present subjunctive] <NOT> .;

with scope set to verse.

Setting scope to Sentence which would seem to be what is desired shows results with ";" at the end which makes me suspicious that the ";" is not considered part of the sentence.

Trying this with a construct wiithout a WITHIN results in erroneous hits like Matt 11:3, Luke 7:19 showing up.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Thank you Dr. J and Daniel for your help! God Bless, Robert

Dear Dr. J,

I'm not sure that that is the correct construction because I only end up with 6 hits (all with the subjunctive directly before the period [last word of the sentence]). I would like to be able to locate all the 1st person plural subjunctive in a sentence that ends in a period.  Thanks, Robert

How about this search, then?  [VERB first plural present subjunctive] <NOT> <FOLLOWED BY> .; (69 hits) [set Scope to "Sentence." (I have no idea why Matt. 11:2 and Luke  7:19 are identified in this search as hits, but not when the Scope is set to Verse. :-( )].

BTW, one can use the Construct Search and add the [FIELD END] command, but it has to be done in the Search Entry box of the target text. The Search argument would then look like this: [LINK Greek Construct] <NOT> .; <WITHIN 1 Words> [FIELD END]

Edited by Timothy Jenney

Hey Tim,

Sorry for the delay. Tried these out

The FOLLOWED BY makes no difference to the results which when I thought about it a bit made sense. The ; is going to be after the verb as it occurs at the end of the sentence.

The FIELD END thing is cute - didn't think of that. Alas it gives the same results as doing it all in the search box; just 6 hit verses as again the verb is at the end of the verse.

Regarding the Sentence handling of ; I don't know if that's a bug or expected. Certainly wasn't what I expected anyhow but I suggested a possible reason but it was just a wild guess.

Thx

D

Thank you again! Dr. J's construct [VERB first plural present subjunctive] <NOT> <FOLLOWED BY> .;  was very helpful! Robert