NEW!* The Living Bible

R. Mansfield

*with "NEW" being understood in relative terms :-)

Now available by popular demand: The Living Bible for the Accordance Library! Introductory pricing is available.

See today's blog post for more information.

Here's my favorite comparison between the KJV & Living Bible (read the blog post linked above to find out why):

KJV-Living Parallel-ds.png

This text requires Accordance 11.2 with the new missing verse feature. ?????

Greetings

Fabian

Dear Helen 

Many thanks, as I had read this last week I thought this is now in general. I had forgotten, there was some written about this Bible.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

This is a most welcome feature. Really great to see that in Accordance.

A lot of the very popular Bibles from Biblica.com and other popular Bibles need this feature to work properly in Accordance. Now OakTree can add a lot new Bibles.

So I would love to see:

The German Neues Leben Bibel NLT (New Living Translation) in Accordance. This is very popular in the German speaking world. 

The German Hoffnung für Alle Revidiert. This is also very popular. Publisher Fontis but © by Biblica

Then the Bibles from http://www.biblica.com/en-us/bible/bible-versions/. The Bible Het Boek is missing in the list, but it's also from Biblica.

Greetings

Fabian

PS. How do I that feature in the User Bibles?

• Like 3

Awesome, and by the way, that "Missing verse" feature. I didn't know that solved a problem I've continually had, but now that I know what it is, I am also very very happy about that too!! Thanks!

Is there a lot of difference between the 'Living Bible' and the 'New Living Translation'?  I always thought the NLT was just a later rendition.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

Yes, big difference. The original Living Bible was a paraphrase by Kenneth Taylor, based on the 1901 ASV, and checked by a committee. The New Living Translation, based on the Hebrew and Greek, had an entire translation committee. The first edition still used occasional phrasings from the Living Bible for continuity, but it has gradually moved away from the original edition. Although the current NLT is referred to as a second edition, there have been numerous incremental revisions. I used to keep up with the changes, but have not done so in a while.

• Like 3

The initial NLT project was intended to be a paraphrase, but as Rick has mentioned, they ended up just going for a translation from the original texts (but retaining a strong influence from the Living Bible).

I deeply love the NLT for its ability to take a little flexibility to bring a more modern English reading to the text, its my favourite translation for every day reading. I do however like to compare it to the greek as I read, and there are a handful of places that seem to push the flexibility just a little too far. I was not aware that the NLT was technically under continuing revision, perhaps I should start making a few notes (not that presume to think anyone would listen). I have often wonder if these few places are like that because they are retaining phrasing from the Living Bible. 

Edited by Ιακοβ
  • Like 1

Probably not. The newer editions of the NLT have very little phrasing left over from the Living Bible. In many ways I liked the first edition of the NLT best because it took more translational "risks." As the NLT has progressed in its multiple revisions, it has become more formal and traditional. I've found that this is usually the pattern in translation revisions. The NEB and REB are very good examples of this. 

Even with the original Living Bible, it became more conservative over time in its renderings. An example of this is the infamous "s.o.b." phrase in 1 Samuel 20:30. In earlier editions, this was in the text. It created great giggles among my friend and me when I discovered it in my Children's Living Bible when I was a child. But later editions, including the one here in Accordance, moved the phrase to the footnotes and replaced it with "son of a nobody" in the text.

• Like 1

Thanks Rick for your replies.  As ever, very informative. 

Probably not. The newer editions of the NLT have very little phrasing left over from the Living Bible. In many ways I liked the first edition of the NLT best because it took more translational "risks." As the NLT has progressed in its multiple revisions, it has become more formal and traditional. I've found that this is usually the pattern in translation revisions. The NEB and REB are very good examples of this. 

I guess it makes sense, given that people are generally motivated to provide feedback by problems rather than positives. So the driving forces would be to conform back.  That said, there are times in the NLT where I am like "What, thats not what it says" but then I reflect on it, and realise "Yes, that is a really great way to phrase it", but there have been just a handful of times where I was like, "No, thats really not what it says".  

(To be clear, I love the NLT, I'm only picking on it because I love it so much. If I didn't, I would not care enough to post).

I would throw out examples, but I generally annotate them in the notes with "#nlt" and I have no idea how to search user notes for that

Edited by Ιακοβ

Heads up! Introductory pricing on the Living Bible ends at midnight EDT tonight!

Then the Wesley NT would also be possible.

Greetings

Fabian