Does anyone have this?

Emanuel Cardona

I am trying to find out what the rest of the entire note 1 of Chapter 3 on page 155-556 (Look inside) says.  May someone who has this book help me out here?  Thank you so much!

E.C.... I have this book but after going to Amazon I couldn't really find/understand what you were looking for!  Perhaps if you provide a screen image I can help. 

Is the what you are looking for? Note 59 on page 155?

Alasdair MacIntyre, After Virtue, 3rd ed. (Notre Dame, IN: Notre Dame, 2007) can also be of help here. MacIntyre famously argues that science cannot possibly determine how we should live because we cannot discern whether behavior in a human being is good or bad unless we know our purpose—what we are here for. Science cannot discern such a thing, and therefore empirical reason is useless to help us know the best way for society to function or for justice to be done.

Timothy Keller, Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism (New York: Viking, 2015), 155

E.C.... I have this book but after going to Amazon I couldn't really find/understand what you were looking for!  Perhaps if you provide a screen image I can help. 

Hi,

I was going to provide a screen image, but I just realized that when I looked inside the book now, the page (156) that I thought was not included in the preview, is included.  For some strange reason I must have overlooked it yesterday and thought that page 156 was not included in the preview.  I was interested to find out what the rest of note 1 (of Chapter 3: Preaching Christ From All of Scripture) that starts on page 155 and ends on page 156 say.

Edited by E. Cardona

Here is the page... at the bottom of the page.

Edited by E. Cardona

Is the what you are looking for? Note 59 on page 155?

Alasdair MacIntyre, After Virtue, 3rd ed. (Notre Dame, IN: Notre Dame, 2007) can also be of help here. MacIntyre famously argues that science cannot possibly determine how we should live because we cannot discern whether behavior in a human being is good or bad unless we know our purpose—what we are here for. Science cannot discern such a thing, and therefore empirical reason is useless to help us know the best way for society to function or for justice to be done.

Timothy Keller, Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism (New York: Viking, 2015), 155

I honestly thank you for your help, but I was referring to Note 1 at the bottom of the page of 155 (I provided an image on another post here).

E.C... Let me know if this helps/what you were looking for...

For help with specific ways to preach Christ from different parts of the Bible, see
D. A. Carson and G. K. Beale, Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2007);
Leland Ryken, ed., Dictionary of Biblical Imagery (Downers Grove, IL: IVP-US, 1998);
Tremper Longman and Raymond B. Dillard, An Introduction to the Old Testament, 2nd ed. (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2006);
Edmund P. Clowney, The Unfolding Mystery: Discovering Christ in the Old Testament, 2nd ed. (Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian and Reformed, 2013);
Edmund P. Clowney, How Jesus Transforms the Ten Commandments (Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian and Reformed, 2007);
Alec Motyer, Look to the Rock (Nottingham, UK: InterVarsity Press, 1996);
Christopher J. H. Wright, Knowing Jesus Through the Old Testament (Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1995);
Simon DeGraaf, Promise and Deliverance (Grand Rapids, MI: Paideia Press, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1981).

See also the work of particular Old Testament commentators on books of the Bible who are strong on Christocentric interpretation, such as Alec Motyer, Iain Duguid, Tremper Longman, and Ray Dillard. In addition to this, see the entire set of volumes in D. A. Carson, ed., New Studies in Biblical Theology (IVP Academic). Also see the many volumes of Sidney Greidanus, especially his Preaching Christ from the Old Testament: A Contemporary Hermeneutical Method (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1999), and of Graeme Goldsworthy, particularly his Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture: The Application of Biblical Theology to Expository Preaching (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 2000.)

Timothy Keller, Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism (New York: Viking, 2015).
Edited by sfarson

That's it!  Thank you so much, sfarson!

FWIW, This would be a nice reference to have!

FWIW, This would be a nice reference to have!

I totally agree!

• 2 years later...

...Also see the many volumes of Sidney Greidanus, especially his Preaching Christ from the Old Testament: A Contemporary Hermeneutical Method (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1999)...

Good news! Sidney Greidanus’ Preaching Christ from the Old Testament series is now available in Accordance!