Split Screen in iOS

Dave Hayes

Hi,

Apologies if this has been talked about in other places...

Split screen in iOS seems to be working well... It would be great to be able to overlay accordance with accordance... (If this can already be done somehow please let me know)

That way you can have say english and greek open in the normal view and then overlay your notes file or a commentary in the other... (meaning effectively 3 windows) 

I know you could overlay a bible in another app, but it doesn't seem right to need anything other than accordance... 

Hope that makes sense 

Dave Hayes

Hi Dave, I think you will find this is a limitation of iOS - that you can only have one instance of an app open, therefore you can’t have it in split screen.

of course... makes sense... in my excitement I forgot to think :-/ 

Could the developers create an accordance notes app (thus seperate) but syncable... to perform the task which I have proposed?

Perhaps I am the only one who would use it like this, if so, should it be created I would feel very special ;-) 

Dave

• Like 1

When looking at a text, we can have two panes open but the second pane is restricted to text, reference or notes. Personally i would like to have the ability to open our full library in either pane so we could really mix it up by having our reference in the left and then perhaps a second instance in the right (ebc and ebc noted) a commentary in the left and a map in the right etc etc so we dont have to keep going through recently opened and into library but that all icons are there at the top of both panes.

But also nice to have another window particularly on the higher resoloution ipad, though cant see this being very practical on an iphone;o(

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Hi ukfraser,

Yes you are correct, these kind of features would not be very practical on an iPhone... Perhaps you are suggesting that it's time for a iPhone and iPad app taking a seperate development pathway???

Dave

Either that or hope that apple wakes up to the fact that people may want to open two instances on an ios device and enable us to open two accordance or two imovie or two garage bands at the same time

;o)

We just need to support more than two panes when running on iPad in non split screen mode.

• Like 7

Not as much an issue for me since i have a large Verbum library it is nice to have my commentaries there available while I have the speed and power of Accordance mobile....

post-29263-0-63940000-1466289607_thumb.png

I would say some similar with OT but they are not yet Splitscreen compatible so it's not as nice.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

We just need to support more than two panes when running on iPad in non split screen mode.

I'd like to see quadrants, myself ;-)

• Like 1

Quadrants and further subdivisions would make me buy an iPad Pro :)

• 3 months later...

I would still like to see the current two panel functionality expanded with my library tabs available at the top of both panels so not only could i have two texts or text and reference as at present but could have

An atlas ( general tool) in the right with a text on the left ( or vice versa) so i can see the journey and read about it in context while reading about it the bible.

Have my ebc commentary in the left and the ebc notes in the right (two reference tools)

Have my original language text in the left and either a greek or a hebrew tool in the right

Have a text in the left and my mounce or erdmanns dictionay in the left (an english tool)

This means we could do away with recently opened as i find that an unnecessary window to go through unless i clear it and open all the modules i think i may need.

But thank you for what we already have, i am very grateful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Love to see more possibilities in split screen.

It would be handy if it can have one tool and one user notes side by side, the split screen would be more powerful!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Hi Accordancers!

As an avid iPad user of Accordance, I love the split pane function! And now being spoiled with that luxury, I want more!

Please allow both panes to open whatever we want, e.g., two Tools, a Tool and a Text, a Reference Tool and a My Tool, etc.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Bump.

Please allow both panes to open whatever we want, e.g., two Tools, a Tool and a Text, a Reference Tool and a My Tool, etc!

This just has to be one of my number one frustrations

The other number one frustration is not being able to change resources from the title bar, you can with text, you can with a devotional, you can with reference if its second window with a text, but open the same reference on its own and to changeto another reference you have to wander back through recently opened to library and then open reference again.

The hard work creating the code is done and works perfectly and is brilliant, please, please, please just reuse it throughout the app.

Yours sincerely, mr never satisfied!

Edited by ukfraser

• 3 weeks later...

The new Accordance iOS update does not yet allow functionality to open two panes to whatever we want, e.g., two Tools, a Tool and a Text, a Reference Tool and a My Tool, etc., two Reference Tools, etc.

Still hoping for this feature to come in the future!

The "report a correction" function directly from long pressing on a word is a great feature in the current update and should assist in making modules more accurate, esp. those texts made with the assstance of OCR software.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The other replies were posted prior to iOS 13. Split panes of the same application became possible in 2019.