New! Feasting on the Word (22 volumes)

R. Mansfield

If I use this it will be from a Bible text, not from a daily reading (I'm non-lectionary but this product intrigues me.)

So I'm not going to look up Proper 9 or August 17th, I'm going to start with a Bible passage and want to go sideways from that.

So I think you are saying it works like any other commentary you want to have in parallel with a Bible text.

So I think you are saying it works like any other commentary you want to have in parallel with a Bible text.

Yes.

• Like 1

So does that mean it will eventually open up with the info pane ? (I tried it with Mark 12:28 and now FOW was not listed.... yet when I open series B up in a parallel it hopped right to it. I just feel there may be frustration with the module since they are 3 and in order to sync to the proper place you need to have the correct module open... I mean you can be assured of having the proper one open by going to Feasting on the Word Readings seeing the pane to Scripture up at the top and then you can enter the text you want. This is actually far more useful since sometimes like with the Psalms you will have multiple treatments.. When I entered Psalm 23 for example there are 6 treatments of this psalm over the 3 years. 3 times in Year A, 2 times in Year B and once in Year C. A count that will get even higher once the remaining alternative Ordinary Time readings are entered.

-Dan

So does that mean it will eventually open up with the info pane ? (I tried it with Mark 12:28 and now FOW was not listed.... yet when I open series B up in a parallel it hopped right to it. I just feel there may be frustration with the module since they are 3 and in order to sync to the proper place you need to have the correct module open... I mean you can be assured of having the proper one open by going to Feasting on the Word Readings seeing the pane to Scripture up at the top and then you can enter the text you want. This is actually far more useful since sometimes like with the Psalms you will have multiple treatments.. When I entered Psalm 23 for example there are 6 treatments of this psalm over the 3 years. 3 times in Year A, 2 times in Year B and once in Year C. A count that will get even higher once the remaining alternative Ordinary Time readings are entered.

-Dan

It should open in the info pane like any other commentary. The user is free to arrange them as they please. We know there will be some limited overlap in readings. Even so, we felt that for the majority of cases it was still helpful to have it sync as a reference tool. And Accordance is so flexible in how you can view a resource, you can always choose what best fits your desired study / reading experience (e.g. standalone, in parallel, standalone 'linked' to a text, daily reading with accompanying readings module). 

-Dan

Does each treatment of Psalm 23 reproduce what has been said before or do they have a new set of authors/new comments for every time it occurs in the lectionary?

If I use this it will be from a Bible text, not from a daily reading (I'm non-lectionary but this product intrigues me.)

So I'm not going to look up Proper 9 or August 17th, I'm going to start with a Bible passage and want to go sideways from that.

This would be a great resource just to have as a commentary (especially if you are involved in a regular bible teaching ministry) though with one caveat, not every verse of scripture is covered in the lectionary readings so you may find some parts of scripture are not commented on by this resource.

However my understanding is that every verse of the Gospels is covered in FoG. :-)

Even if your particular christian tradition does not use the lectionary, its a great resource to interact with. Non lectionary churches still tend to have Christmas and Easter services and the lectionary has readings that are a great starting place for those services. I came to the RCL looking for ideas for a four part series leading up to Christmas and discovered Advent and the idea of Christian seasons :-)

The RCL is not perfect but it is something I have come to love.

Each is new... even in the case where readings are identical each year like Christmas morning... you have 3 sets of readings for each of those. So each occurrence is unique and often discusses other Lections for the day when applicable. I am not trying to say FOW will give you 100% of Bible coverage but it tends to touch all major passages especially when you add in typological and semicontinuous. I have seen other lectionary commentaries that love to refer you to the first occurrence of a passage  when it is duplicated. Which is fine in general but focus of Psalm 23 read in lent might be significantly different than when reading in easter time, or in the early fall (the 3 times it comes in YEAR A).

-Dan

Thanks for the clarification Dan.

You are right that the lectionaries choice of text for a given season can mean a different emphasis is applicable. A lectionary commentary proves its worth by not only saying what does this text mean, but also answering the question as to why are we reading it (the chosen text) at this particular point (season) in the lectionary.

Makes it a very comprehensive resource especially for the more commonly used passages.

• Like 1

Heads up! Intro pricing for Feasting on the Word ends at midnight EDT TONIGHT!!

• 1 month later...

BUMP

Any idea yet when the additional lections for sundays after pentecost will be added in?

-Dan

BUMP

Any idea yet when the additional lections for sundays after pentecost will be added in?

-Dan

We're working on it. It was more work than it seemed at a surface level, and have to balance it with other projects. We did decide that it will be a free update (even though the Additional Essays are individual ISBNs with respective suggested pricing).

Cool thanks... I know it cannot be top priority.... never noticed the ISBN on the PDF's but glad to know it is coming...

-dan

Edited by Dan Francis

Cool thanks... I know it cannot be top priority.... never noticed the ISBN on the PDF's but glad to know it is coming...

-dan

$15/each: http://www.feastingontheword.net/Products/CategoryCenter/FOWES/AdditionalEssays.aspx

oh well aware of them I had bought them. although when wjkp commissioned another software company to release a new electronic edition to replace their pdf CD-ROM version they included them for free. Had it been something Accordance had decided they had to charge for to add in I would have been glad to pay an upgrade fee. That said I am very happy and grateful that it is being provided free of charge.

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

We have updated the Feasting on the Word Commentaries with the Additional Readings. This free update to 2.0 provides you with the truly complete set. Please be sure to update your contents to enjoy the new material.

• Like 3

Thanks Accordance for getting these out to us!!!!

-dan

• Like 1