Exporting Biblical Text (Hebrew, Greek, etc.) to a Spreadsheet

Neill

Hello all,

I'm going to be starting a textual criticism project comparing 4QNumB (4Q27 in Accordance) with MT, LXX, etc.  I would like to arrange the text in a spreadsheet where each cell contains a discrete lexical item so I can easily compare variants.  I would then like to tag textual phenomena in the spreadsheet and get some statistics on that.  I I'm hoping for some general advice on how to get started, but my main desire is to export each text into this spreadsheet without copy/pasting each word.  Would Accordance services be able to accomplish this?  Thank you in advance for being patient with my tech ignorance.  

Neill

Happy to help, Neill!

Selecting the text, then using Language>Parsing will give you the text and the morphological details. Yes, the information will paste very nicely into Excel (save for the parentheses which appear backwards Correction: the newest version of Excel handles the parentheses correctly. See screenshots.). However, all the parsing information for each word winds up in a single cell. If you want to put each aspect (stem, number, etc.) into its own cell, you'll have to use Text Edit or MS Word to replace the white spaces in the parsing with tabs, then paste it in separately. Even then you'll have to do some manual cuts and pastes to make everything uniform.

Still, this is far better than typing it all in by hand! (which we all used to have to do, back in the "dark ages"!)

Old Excel for the Mac (14.6.6): post-29215-0-68711900-1470246886_thumb.png

New Excel for the Mac (15.4): post-29215-0-14894300-1470248115_thumb.png

Dr. Jenney,

Thanks so much! I'll be trying this out soon.

Neill

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You can potentially speed up the process by using the find and replace feature on word to find spaces and replace them with tabs.