2016 ESV Permanent Text Edition (FREE update!)

R. Mansfield

The 2016 ESV Permanent Text Edition is now available as a free update for Accordance users!

See more information in today's blog post

2016 ESV.png
  • Like 2

Ditto - I'm also interested in the ESV 2016 changes.    

I compared the 2016 ESVS with the 2011 ESV (non-Strongs) and exported the results to the PDF. There are not that many changes and most of them are not significant. There are a few interesting ones. Some of them can be discounted because evidently there were some minor capitalization errors in the 2011 ESV module.

Edited by R. Mansfield
Removed PDF.

Thanks Rick! Before you posted I was searching online to see if they made an official posting or what not.

I tried that too Keith. They did have one for the earlier update but not apparently for this. And the link to the older one is now defunct.

Rick, I note that the blog post instructs one in deleting the previous cross-references. So am I right then in assuming that the two ESV versions will share the new Notes/Cross-refs (depending upon which you have open no doubt) ? Also I am assuming there were no cross-ref changes or additions, or there were that they are not incompatible with the older ESV. Is that a correct assumption ?

EDIT : Actually looks like a moot point because I don't seem to have the older version after the update. Ok.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Daniel, basically we updated the text, notes, and cross references to the official content provided by Crossway; we just reduced the modules from three to two. 

Thanx Rick - I got there eventually. It sounded like a more dramatic update than in fact it was I guess. It really sounds like there were few changes, which no doubt indicates a stabilization of the text, hence the name change to better indicate that stability.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Just a personal preference; but I would continue to keep the original  ESV cross-ref module in my library (in addition to the new notes module). It means you can access the cross-ref's via the info-pane window and if you have a library folder for all your cross-ref's you can easily access it from there.  

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

On ios its a great enhancement, thanks

;o)

What is a permanent text edition?  LOL The title sounds pretentious!

Final version before the Lord come 

Or the only one which we read on the new Earth. Like KJV onlysm on this side of heaven ;)

• Like 1

Rick, If I click on a superscript in the new ESV text I get the following message:

The appropriate notes tool for "ESV" cannot be found or is not installed.

Problem solved with latest revision. Thanks all.

What is a permanent text edition?  LOL The title sounds pretentious!

It means that the translation committee is going to leave the text as is for the foreseeable future. 

If you search: 

Maps

A valuable set of maps is provided at the end of the ESV DIGITAL EDITION. These include maps describing the biblical world and key historical periods in the life of ancient Israel and in New Testament times. Also included are maps showing a comprehensive overview of Jesus’ life and ministry as well as the missionary journeys of the apostle Paul. ESV Notes, 1st, Accordance electronic ed. (Wheaton: Crossway Bibles, 2011), paragraph 73.

in the ESV notes.

You can buy  http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=ESV%20Study%20Bible

or download from http://www.esv.org/e-books/

Another thing with the new notes: The Bibliography is on 2011 for the 2016 version 3.1 like: ESV Notes, 1st, Accordance electronic ed. (Wheaton: Crossway Bibles, 2011), paragraph 73.

I know since Accordance can so much more, it's getting harder to produce new modules.

Greetings

Fabian

Hey Rick,

Can you repost that PDF with the text differences? It looks like it has been taken down.

Gavin

The publishers asked us NOT to list the differences, so we reluctantly had to remove that PDF, sorry to tempt you all! They were relatively few, in any case.

• Like 2

I don't see any maps in the ESV notes module or the new text digital edition.  I see the paragraph that mentions they are there, but nothing else.

I don't see any maps in the ESV notes module or the new text digital edition.  I see the paragraph that mentions they are there, but nothing else.

The license for the ESV does not include rights to the images. We'll be removing that statement per Crossway's request in the next update.

I saw this and thought "Oh, are they moving to a continuous release schedule, with improvements coming every month?"

So sad that it's the opposite. There's so much that needs fixing. (Namely, the English. :P)

I saw another update of the modules today.  Downloaded without a hitch.  During the install, however, Accordance hung and I had to force-quit (on the MacBook Air and the Mac mini).

When I reopened Accordance, I found that I had an incomplete install on the mini, but a complete install on the MBA.  Just a FYI – I was able to get it all installed and everything is working.

By the way – thank you for the constant improvements to our applications and content.  I know there must be a lot of things going on that I can't begin to understand, but I do appreciate the outcome.

Edited by Julia Falling

Rick, not all of the changes listed from Crossway match up with the Accordance text. For example 1 Kings 8:48.