New American Standard currently being reviewed for a second update

Julia Falling

If you like page turning, your patience may be rewarded soon in the form of an option. I can say no more at the present time, though :-)

Rick,

That is not very cryptic at all ... ;)

• Like 4

Nice! I've played with the text settings. 

I wish you could show book names when new books start. For instance, there is no break or sign that Malachi ends and Matthew begins. 

Also, the psalms look like one big psalm. 

• Like 1

Nice! I've played with the text settings. 

I wish you could show book names when new books start. For instance, there is no break or sign that Malachi ends and Matthew begins. 

Also, the psalms look like one big psalm. 

Actually, now that you mention it, thinking about it, you are right, sometimes I get a little confused when I am scrolling and it accidentally flicks into another book of the bible and I haven't realised. Maybe titles would be a good idea.  

However, that said, I like to read the biblical text as close as possible to how it was originally communicated, with as few titles/paragraphs as possible, so while book titles might be good, I would hate to start seeing all those annoying subheadings.

• Like 1

I agree Gold! 

I don't mind not having the subheadings! Also, what about justified text option?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Julia, 

Have you heard anything on the NASB update?

As far as I know, we're still looking at mid-2017, maybe a little later.  I would expect us to have an electronic version available before the premium Bibles from evangelicalbible.com are available.  In fact, the gentleman at Lockman with whom I was corresponding said the Schuyler would probably not be available until 2018 – the handcrafted Bibles take longer to produce.  So we must be patient.

• Like 1

If you like page turning, your patience may be rewarded soon in the form of an option. I can say no more at the present time, though :-)

A month later and we must be a month closer !!!! 

Is there still no more you can say at this present time, Rick?

A month later and we must be a month closer !!!! 

Is there still no more you can say at this present time, Rick?

Yes, I can affirm that a month later, we are a month closer. I'd say more, but I already have too many demerits on the "Don't Spill the Beans" chart on the wall at the Accordance home office in Altamonte Springs.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know, we're still looking at mid-2017, maybe a little later.  

The NASB Facebook fan group has feedback suggesting things are looking like they are stretching into much later in 2017 or even early 2018.

Ιακοβ –

I guess we really shouldn't be too surprised.  Thanks for the update.  I'm not on Facebook – these forums are the closest I get to social media – so I would appreciate any further updates.

The NASB Facebook fan group has feedback suggesting things are looking like they are stretching into much later in 2017 or even early 2018.

In the meantime Accordance can bring some other Bibles which the updates are out. I think on Elberfelder 2016, Einheitsübersetzung 2016 or some foreign languages which had no Bible in Accordance. 

• Like 1

Hello Rick, 

Do you think at some point you guys will separate books/separate Psalms by titles? Ex: Genesis, Exodus, Psalm 1, Psalm 2, etc. That way you can see when books end?

• Like 1

I'm not a programmer, so I don't make those calls; however, what I've advocated for a long time is the optional (key word) ability to turn on the section headings that are available in most texts--transalations and biblical language. I would like to see this because I find in print Bibles, this helps me to locate content much more quickly. But I've not heard it's coming. I have no information at this time.

• Like 2

I would not use it. It's not Biblical and there's an extremely high level of interpretation, almost all Editions have numerous errors: Such as badly outdated headings when research has proven things but it has been retained just for the sake of "tradition". Even a traditional language 20th century English Bible version such as the 1971 RSV is really great and often my most used Bible for many parts of Scripture, all the while I'm horrified that secondary labels on things are retained due to tradition:

I'm not a programmer, so I don't make those calls; however, what I've advocated for a long time is the optional (key word) ability to turn on the section headings that are available in most texts--transalations and biblical language. I would like to see this because I find in print Bibles, this helps me to locate content much more quickly. But I've not heard it's coming. I have no information at this time.

• Like 1

I would not use it. 

And that's why I said optional was the key word. 

• Like 2

I saw that from start, but I regard the headings such low quality that there should be a warning lable inside the software when wanting to show them. Or not to produce them:

And that's why I said optional was the key word. 

• Like 2

I saw that from start, but I regard the headings such low quality that there should be a warning lable inside the software when wanting to show them. Or not to produce them:

If you want to go there, I am sure some could argue that the chapter divisions are of such low quality that they should not be included either :D

I was actually going to mention that the other day as it turns out :) But Acc already supports turning them off.

Thx

D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the NASB Committee (on 4/17/17): 

We are still hard at work on the current NASB update and continue to make good progress. However, with all the details to review and complexity of the translation process, our work has progressed slower than expected. We now hope to finish most of the editorial around the 4th quarter of 2017 and then begin final proofreading thereafter. The way it looks now, our new goal is to have a first release by the middle of 2018.

Edited by gavincmurphy1

Gavin – Thanks for the update.  I'd rather wait a bit longer and have a more careful revision.  Looks like we'll be waiting for another year or a bit more.  It will be longer yet for the premium Bibles (Schuyler, Allan, Cambridge).  I want to get the Schuyler.

I want to get the Schuyler.

Me, too.

Rick – Are you finding the Milo 11pt font of your NKJV easy on the eyes?

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 1

Yes--no complaints. 

From the NASB Committee (on 4/17/17): 

We now hope to finish most of the editorial around the 4th quarter of 2017 and then begin final proofreading thereafter. 

Makes me think back to when I was a fourteen- or fifteen-year-old (1969 or 1970) when we lived in La Habra, California, home of the Lockman Foundation which was preparing to release the first complete New American Standard Bible. My Mom did contract proofreading work at home for Lockman, bringing home galleys of sections of books like Exodus and Isaiah. I used to help her. Back then the only options most of us had for non-paraphrased translations were the KJV and the RSV.

• Like 1