New American Standard currently being reviewed for a second update

Julia Falling

All in all the RSV was a pretty decent option, the NASB was preferable to the RSV in many ways, but both very literal. The major defect of the RSV in my mind was the placing in footnotes the gospel additions in Mark/John that fact alone was enough to make one want to avoid it, but one in 1972 it was placed back in the text very similar to its NASB treatment. I was delighted when the thees thous were finally removed in 1995, I would bet 2018s revision will offer many fine tweaks. Athough I expect no earth shattering changes.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hey Julia, 

Have you heard anything new about the NASB update? Excited! 

I'm really looking forward to it as well.  But we're going to have to contain our enthusiasm.  Looks like mid-2018 at the earliest.  I emailed Pike Lambeth last month.  He's the Executive VP of Lockman.  They're making good progress, he says.  Checking all the details is time consuming.  If I hear anything new, I'll post.

• 1 year later...

Found this today.  I'll really appreciate some feedback.  What do y'all think?  Jas 5:16 is still poorly translated (the NRSV does a better job as ἰσχύω is intransitive).  I prefer accuracy over style though style is not unimportant.

Found this today.  I'll really appreciate some feedback.  What do y'all think?  Jas 5:16 is still poorly translated (the NRSV does a better job as ἰσχύω is intransitive).  I prefer accuracy over style though style is not unimportant.

Honestly, I'm a little (just a little, not a lot) disappointed in what I've read so far about some of the translation choices. I would love to be wrong. I'm a long-time NASB reader. I grew up reading the NAS77 and "converted" to the 95u in college. I'm waiting to see what happens when it's published and we get a chance to read through the whole thing. Who knows, maybe it will be our next pew Bible at church. . . waiting to see. I personally don't like the "brothers and sisters" nonsense—does anybody really think that excludes women? Same applies for "O human." I can't think of anyone choosing to speak like that. . . Anyway. We'll see. 

• Like 1

From Julie's link:

"A Clearer Isaiah 53:4

On October 3rd, the Lockman Foundation posted their updated Isaiah 53:4–6 passage. Verses 5–6 have not been changed, but verse 4 has. It’s a minor change, but it’s clearer and aligns with most other translations. Compare:

Surely our griefs He Himself bore, and our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. NASB 1995

However, it was our sicknesses that He Himself bore, and our pains that He carried; Yet we ourselves assumed that He had been afflicted, struck down by God, and humiliated. NASB 2020

I like the language here. It makes clear that it was “assumed” that He was cursed by God, but He was bearing our curse."

I can't help but remember that in my late teens I helped my Mom proofread portions of the yet-to-be-released NASB Old Testament. (We lived in La Habra, CA, home of the Lockman Foundation.) I vaguely remember behind handed the galleys of Isaiah. My role was only to cross-check her work, but even at that age I'm sure I was stoked to be proofing Isaiah 53.

Edited by JohnABarnett
  • Like 1

Marshall – I felt the same way.  Maybe it's because I'm older, but I just don't have a problem seeing both men and women in "brethren".  I also object to the clumsiness that results when one tries to tip-toe around the hyper-sensitive.  I really don't like He has told you, a human, what is good;  Micah 6:8.  The verse went from beautiful to ugly.  I had no problem including myself in O man, either.  I think I'm going to ask for a nice NAS95 for Christmas.  It has a wart or two, but I can live with those more easily than what I'm seeing in the NASB20.  Frankly, I'm disappointed.

EDIT:  For those who want gender neutrality, there are already some good options out there.

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 1

hope i'm not hijacking the thread.  i've been looking into translation philosophy since we had an issue come up regarding the niv 2011 recently.  there's a cbmw article that points out many things about the niv 2011 they don't like.  it can be found here: http://www.bible-researcher.com/cbmw.niv2011.2.pdf.  just to note: not trying to debate theology (e.g. women in ministry etc).  it was definitely interesting to read and i can understand the reasoning and concerns they raise.  

I also came upon this article by bill mounce, which I thought was super helpful.  some background.  mounce, the greek guru, served as the chair of the NT translation for the ESV.  doug moo invited him as a "friendly critic" on the CBT for the NIV 2011.  the article talks about things he learned while serving on the committee.  particularly eye opening was understanding what "literal" means and how we don't translate words but meaning, even the most "literal" translations do that.  it can be found here: https://www.thenivbible.com/about-the-niv/niv-translation-philosophy/bill-mounce-on-bible-translation/

for the record, i prefer a functional equivalence translation (i'm guessing most of us here do b/c we will do the study).  dynamic equivalence translations aren't targeted to us though.  anyways, just wanted to share b/c translation philosophy is pretty fascinating, but such a complex issue.  wish I could find that "perfect" translation haha.  hope this is helpful.

• Like 1

I don't want to start a theological debate, either.  Not the place to do it.  At the same time, many who prefer the NASB do so because they prefer functional equivalence and carefulness in getting the Hebrew/Aramaic & Greek into the target language as accurately as possible, always recognizing that English ≠ Greek ≠ Hebrew ≠ Aramaic, that idioms must be rationally handled.  I also like to see English that is as transparent as possible to those who don't know anything about the original languages.  For instance, in Rom 7:7-8 the English only reader who has an NASB in front of him would be able to see the ἐπιθυμία/ἐπιθυμέω relationship which is totally obscured in the KJV.  Also, look at Acts 18:1-6, especially vv. 4-5.  The NASB handles the imperfects masterfully there, which makes what is going on much clearer.  The ESV gets one of them, the KJV (and NKJV) treats them all as aorists.

Many say the NASB is" wooden" — I have not found it so, and I'm picky.  I think someone said it and a bunch of people have been quoting him.  Most versions have some clunkiness somewhere, including the much touted ESV.  There is no perfect translation.  Or what is perfect for one is an offense to another.  That's why I took Greek & Hebrew as an old lady.  I love Greek, but at this point have a love-hate relationship with Hebrew.

I just ordered a Schuyler Thinline NAS95 Credo in Imperial Blue.  I only have one print Bible in the NAS95, an inexpensive one with very small print (too small for old eyes) and some sort of fake leather cover.  I mean to make the Schuyler Bible last for the rest of my life (I turn 67 a week from Sunday).

Edited by Julia Falling
  • Like 5

(I turn 67 a week from Sunday).

Happy Birthday in advance Julia! :)

• Like 4

Thank you!  I had a mild stroke on October 15 – recovering well, and my recovery is expected to be complete with an second stroke unlikely.  My doctor said this one was a "fluke" (speaking medically, not theologically).  But a stroke makes  one consider one's mortality and appreciate the life God has given!

• Like 2

Julia, you have been a blessing on this forum. I pray this next year will be one of great blessing for you. I have a Schuyler ESV Quentel. It is rather hefty, so I'm looking forward to a thinline version of it. The font size is wonderful. I second Tony's wishes.

• Like 4

Julia, you have been a blessing on this forum. I pray this next year will be one of great blessing for you . . .  I second Tony's wishes.

I Like This

• Like 1

Thank you for the encouragement.  These forums and the input y'all give has been a blessing to me for many years.

• Like 1

Thank you!  I had a mild stroke on October 15 – recovering well, and my recovery is expected to be complete with an second stroke unlikely.  My doctor said this one was a "fluke" (speaking medically, not theologically).  But a stroke makes  one consider one's mortality and appreciate the life God has given!

Julia, God bless you. No doubt about it. When we experience things that put us directly in touch with our mortality, we begin to value our God-given life in way we had not done so before.